Ich or velvet? What to do?

karusia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
My purple tang and lipstick tang got white spots. However this is my first time with disease on any of my fish so I’m not sure whether this is ich or velvet or something else?
It started around week and a half ago. First I’ve turned on UV light and I feel like it helped slightly for a moment. However the past couple days I feel like my purple tang is getting worse. Both visually and also in behavior. Today/yesterday it was even like scratching himself on sand or rocks. Today I’ve purchased Polyp Lab Reef Safe Medic and I’m intending to do full 20 days higher dose treatment. I’ve already did first dose around 10 hours ago and seems like it has calmed my tang a little bit or at least the scratching. Is there anything else you’d recommend? Do you think it’s ich or velvet? I’m pretty terrified my tangs may die… As I said it’s my first time with any disease in my tank and I’ve always found this forum helpful so thought I’d ask here for help.
Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2475.mov
    46.1 MB
Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
karusia Welcome to the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis Forum!

The #fishmedic team and other knowledgeable members of our community will do our best to help you resolve your questions. Please provide as much of the following as you are able:
  • Brief description of the issue you are observing and answers to the following questions:
    • How long have you had the fish with the condition?
    • Did you quarantine with medication when you first acquired the fish? (If Yes, which medication?)
  • Current water quality measurements
  • Clear photos of the issue taken using WHITE light and/or a short video of any behaviors (post in your response or on YouTube).
If you can help us by providing as much of the above info as possible, it will make diagnosing and providing recommendations for treatment MUCH easier! The Fish Medic team will get back to you as quickly as possible. In the meantime, other members of our community may also share their experience with similar situations and advice that they may have regarding your situation.

You may also feel free to provide a more detailed description of the condition if you wish to share more info than the above list.

Additionally, these links may be useful while you await a response:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi All,
My purple tang and lipstick tang got white spots. However this is my first time with disease on any of my fish so I’m not sure whether this is ich or velvet or something else?
It started around week and a half ago. First I’ve turned on UV light and I feel like it helped slightly for a moment. However the past couple days I feel like my purple tang is getting worse. Today I’ve purchased Polyp Lab Reef Safe Medic and I’m intending to do full 20 days higher dose treatment. Is there anything else you’d recommend? Do you think it’s ich or velvet? I’m pretty terrified my tangs may die… As I said it’s my first time with any disease in my tank and I’ve always found this forum helpful so thought I’d ask here for help.
Thank you in advance!
I had to break down this video as there is much reflection from the tank glass and brighter light intensity works best. Unfortunately, they are showing mucus cones likely mixed in with ich and often starts as a skin irritation. They will need treatment in a separate quarantine tank using either coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
It started around week and a half ago. First I’ve turned on UV light and I feel like it helped slightly for a moment. However the past couple days I feel like my purple tang is getting worse. Both visually and also in behavior. Today/yesterday it was even like scratching himself on sand or rocks. Today I’ve purchased Polyp Lab Reef Safe Medic and I’m intending to do full 20 days higher dose treatment. I’ve already did first dose around 10 hours ago and seems like it has calmed my tang a little bit or at least the scratching. Is there anything else you’d recommend? Do you think it’s ich or velvet? I’m pretty terrified my tangs may die… As I said it’s my first time with any disease in my tank and I’ve always found this forum helpful so thought I’d ask here for help.
Thank you in advance!
That looks like ich, velvet does not cause distinct white spots like that, just rapid breathing and not eating.

Polyp Lab Medic often fails, unless combined with other control methods. Even then, coppersafe in a treatment tank is a more sure method.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 34.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back