Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This from icp-analysis.com...

Calcium 645ppm
Vanadium 8.738ppb
Molybdenum 4.224ppb
CR, FE, I, MN, NI all showing zero
Everything else within tolerances

I have a Trident... tests my Calcium at 440. It's been a few months since I calibrated it, but I don't buy it. I've got a red sea kit, going to re-test this evening. Dosing Kalkwasser, via Avast stirrer. I just turned it off, but it was dosing at a rate of one liter per day, 240ml every hour, in a 160g tank.

Tank is in rebuild mode, there's a few mushrooms, a cabbage coral, a gorgonian... just the leftovers after BTA's killed everything. Healthy stock of fish. Just got rid of a boat load of bubble tip anemones, wanting to get everything stable for a big frag order.

Salinity 1.026, Temp 77.5f (stable within .5f) pH 8.41. RO/DI water ATO and water changes, I replace the DI carts when TDS reads more than 1. Instant Ocean salt, BRS Kalkwasser is the only thing I'm dosing. Got a mess of Chaetomorpha in the sump, 1-2" sand bed. I've replaced 95% of the live rock over the last two months with CaribSea Life Rock (purple painted dry rock) in an effort to rid myself of RBTA's.

I don't believe the Calcium test, not sure how much faith to put in any of the tests... Vanadium, Molybdenum doesn't appear to be high enough to be an issue. I'm more concerned with zero Iron, Iodine, Manganese, but those are easy enough to dose. Think I've still got some Lugol's on the shelf.

Any thoughts?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This from icp-analysis.com...

Calcium 645ppm

I have a Trident... tests my Calcium at 440. It's been a few months since I calibrated it, but I don't buy it. I've got a red sea kit, going to re-test this evening. Dosing Kalkwasser, via Avast stirrer. I just turned it off, but it was dosing at a rate of one liter per day,

I too lack confidence in the values, but are you able to use the trident on some new salt water?

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too lack confidence in the values, but are you able to use the trident on some new salt water?
I dug out my test kit this morning. Expired 08/23, but that's what I've got. Have to order a new kit.

Calcium of tank 430, Calcium of fresh mix RO/DI + Instant Ocean 400. Tested Alkalinity as well, also a red sea kit, I get 7.5dKH in the tank, 10dKH in fresh salt mix. Trident is showing Calcium at 435, and Alk at 8. Just to be complete, Trident shows my Magnesium at 1230, The ICP test showed 1264. Both seem pretty reasonable to me.

Ok, I'm satisfied. The Red Sea Calcium Pro and the Trident agree, within a reasonable range. Same with the Red Sea Alk test and the Trident. I'm going to resume dosing Kalkwasser, calibrate my Trident, order some new test kits, and toss these ICP results in the bucket.

Might order test kits for Iron and Iodine while I'm restocking test kits. See if they really are unmeasurable. You'd think I'd have a hard time growing Chaetomorpha, if I had zero iron, and I don't have any such problem. Have to prune it back monthly.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I sent ICP_Anaylisis.com some feedback, letting them know what I think if their service. Guess I'll stick with DIY testing.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you let the calcium test rest for a good 20 seconds or so when it first changes color to bluish. If it changes back to pink then add more reagent. For some reason the red sea will read lower until it doesn't change. Doubt you're that far off though

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back