• 15pmm+

Votes: 27 15.7%

• Total voters

ReefReadyYouTube

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best nitrate range for a reef tank. So many different sources I’ve seen <1ppm, 5-10ppm,<2ppm, 10-15ppm. Mines currently near 0ppm. Should I keep it there should I bring it up to like a 5ppm. What is your current nitrate levels and what’s you success with it? Does any one dose nitrate, should I put more fish in?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the ‘best’ level is as low as possible. Consider that there will always be some nitrates present so even if your hobby test kit says zero it’s not really zero .... just undetectable to that test kit. I have, at varying times, had nitrates in my reef over 40 ppm. Not ideal, but not that big of a deal. Hard corals grow a bit more slowly.

destro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You too noticed all the different answers out there. I'm still trying to figure out my tank's sweet spot. Every tank is different so what works for one tank may not for another.

Here's Red Sea NOPOX implementation guide.

1579032649400.png

Here's one from LiveAquaria for suggested level.

1579032884033.png

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night my NO3 was 12ppm and PO4 was 0.02ppm. I probably want NO3 lowered and PO4 increased.
It seems that a higher level of NO3 can exacerbate the problem of PO4 being too low (<0.0285 ppm).
If PO4 is 0.03 ppm or greater the N/P ratio is not important.

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly as an experienced sps and acro grower, the higher the nutrients the better. I have seen nothing but success and improvement the higher I push the nutrients in my tank. I actually have to dose n03 and p04 daily as acropora are like sponges for nutrients. Even at the lower end of the par (325) top of rocks I have never seen any browning or loss of color only increases with my nutrient increase. I have never run gfo, Carbon, Carbon dosing, refugium, ATS and I only run my skimmer for an hour or 2 every few days. Each tank is going to respond differently but for a tank packed full of acropora the more available nutrients the healthier the corals. Your gonna get mixed answers all over the spectrum but I’ll let my DT speak for itself...
5B0DF092-400E-47D2-A57C-CBADE0D71BCA.jpeg

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly as an experienced sps and acro grower, the higher the nutrients the better. I have seen nothing but success and improvement the higher I push the nutrients in my tank. I actually have to dose n03 and p04 daily as acropora are like sponges for nutrients. Even at the lower end of the par (325) top of rocks I have never seen any browning or loss of color only increases with my nutrient increase. I have never run gfo, Carbon, Carbon dosing, refugium, ATS and I only run my skimmer for an hour or 2 every few days. Each tank is going to respond differently but for a tank packed full of acropora the more available nutrients the healthier the corals. Your gonna get mixed answers all over the spectrum but I’ll let my DT speak for itself...
Amazing tank! :)

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your algae situation. If you have a lot of algae, 0 nitrates reading is going to be bad. If you have little algae, then low (0.5ppm) is probably okay. I’d want to be around 1ppm just so that I know it’s not a testing error and that I have some available for corals.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then plz list the level of them

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is an interesting read.
My mixed reef is happiest with Nitrates in the mid 20s ppm

Robert1994

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are at 0. I have been having nothing but grief trying to keep chaeto in my refugium. I put in the tank and it's bright green. Next day it's not as bright. It's literally falling apart after one week. This has been going on for months.
I was talking to one of the guys at the store about it dying. He said I'm starving my Chaeto, they need food, He said if I raise the nitrates to 5ppm, I will see a much happier plant.
I just picked up a small bag of Potassium Nitrate-KN03 to add to my tank to raise the nitrate level.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best nitrate range for a reef tank. So many different sources I’ve seen <1ppm, 5-10ppm,<2ppm, 10-15ppm. Mines currently near 0ppm. Should I keep it there should I bring it up to like a 5ppm. What is your current nitrate levels and what’s you success with it? Does any one dose nitrate, should I put more fish in?
Recently bottomed out nitrates, now dosing sodium nitrate and all euphyllia are noticably more colotful. Shooting for 5ppm.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nitrates are at 0. I have been having nothing but grief trying to keep chaeto in my refugium. I put in the tank and it's bright green. Next day it's not as bright. It's literally falling apart after one week. This has been going on for months.
I was talking to one of the guys at the store about it dying. He said I'm starving my Chaeto, they need food, He said if I raise the nitrates to 5ppm, I will see a much happier plant.
I just picked up a small bag of Potassium Nitrate-KN03 to add to my tank to raise the nitrate level.
Why are you trying to grow it?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think anything from 1-15 ppm is good, <10 is an awesome goal, and never over 80-100ppm is what I'd shoot for. Your corals can adapt to most nutrient levels given enough time and a slow enough pace. High results in algae problems (more likely) but it also greatly depends on which corals you have. ORA acros or indestructible stags? I wouldn't focus too much other than to keep it stable and not 0. Wild or sensitive? Totally different story.

Last edited:

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious if these are aquacultured or wild colonies?

Either way, nice reef!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think anything from 0-15 ppm is good, <10 is an awesome goal,

I'd be very wary of the 0 end of that range, unless you are carefully dosing amino acids or ammonia.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back