If I fed Hewbie less would that slow down his growth?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I realize Hewbie is growing extremely quickly and that I may be over feeding him…he so fat/big! I recently learned puffers don’t have to eat everyday and many public aquariums only feed their puffers a few times a week. Currently I feed him two clams or two small shrimp a day. If I cut back on feeding to every other day or two. Would this slow down his growth? I don’t want him to starve but part of me thinks I’m over feeding him considering how big and fat he’s gotten. @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 Thoughts?

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I would not advise this as you are reducing its body fats, aminos, etc. Change up types of foods as example, if you feed shrimp, give it krill.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recall this being a common question in the American shop I worked at years ago and the answer always was "the rate they grow depends of how much you feed"...yes, that's true but likely not the best in the way of promoting health...I partly feel that fish (and the vast majority of organisms) have a growth rate which they maintain while in good health. Slowing or stunting it probably isn't very good for the fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize Hewbie is growing extremely quickly and that I may be over feeding him…he so fat/big! I recently learned puffers don’t have to eat everyday and many public aquariums only feed their puffers a few times a week. Currently I feed him two clams or two small shrimp a day. If I cut back on feeding to every other day or two. Would this slow down his growth? I don’t want him to starve but part of me thinks I’m over feeding him considering how big and fat he’s gotten. @Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 Thoughts?

No - that won't work. The story I always give is: "I like kittens but think cats are awful. Therefore, I'm going to not feed my kitten as much so it will take longer to grow into a cat".

With fish in the active growth phase of their life, it is pretty difficult to "overfeed" them, they just direct the extra food to faster growth. Older fish that are not growing as fast can easily be overfed. They can then develop health issues like fatty livers.

I worry when I hear somebody saying, "I feed my fish X pieces of food". That amount could be too much or too little. It also can change over time and with different circumstances. It is much better to let the fish tell you how much to feed them. I would feed this fish daily, giving it small pieces of food, a little at a time. After some amount of food, its feeding activity is going to slow a bit. At that point stop feeding it. The next day, you repeat the process. If the fish is still a bit full from the day before, it will take in less food, but if you left it hungry from the day before, it will take more food - balancing things out.

Jay

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No - that won't work. The story I always give is: "I like kittens but think cats are awful. Therefore, I'm going to not feed my kitten as much so it will take longer to grow into a cat".

With fish in the active growth phase of their life, it is pretty difficult to "overfeed" them, they just direct the extra food to faster growth. Older fish that are not growing as fast can easily be overfed. They can then develop health issues like fatty livers.

I worry when I hear somebody saying, "I feed my fish X pieces of food". That amount could be too much or too little. It also can change over time and with different circumstances. It is much better to let the fish tell you how much to feed them. I would feed this fish daily, giving it small pieces of food, a little at a time. After some amount of food, its feeding activity is going to slow a bit. At that point stop feeding it. The next day, you repeat the process. If the fish is still a bit full from the day before, it will take in less food, but if you left it hungry from the day before, it will take more food - balancing things out.

Jay
Except Hewbie is like a goldfish who will eat and eat and beg for food then regret it later! I know I can’t overfeed him and it’s bad but sometimes it’s so hard not to give into the begging face who jumps up and shoots water at me.:pleading-face::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: MORE MOMMA! MORE PLEASE! But yes that makes sense. It would then be bigger meals every few days and honestly if I was Hewbie I wouldn’t want to eat every few days. And believe me I definitely overfed goldfish as a kid lol. And quickly learned just because they keep eating doesn’t mean they are still hungry and need more food lol!

Last edited:

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except Hewbie is like a goldfish who will eat and eat and beg for food then regret it later! I know I can’t overfeed him and it’s bad but sometimes it’s so hard not to give into the begging face who jumps up and shoots water at me.:pleading-face::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: MORE MOMMA! MORE PLEASE! But yes that makes sense. It would then be bigger meals every few days and honestly if I was Hewbie I wouldn’t want to eat every few days. And believe me I definitely overfed goldfish as a kid lol. And quickly learned just because they keep eating doesn’t mean they are still hungry and need more food lol!
I think you just shouldn't give in to your own impulses if you believe that you're injuring your fish by feeding excessively.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you just shouldn't give in to your own impulses if you believe that you're injuring your fish by feeding excessively.
I do only feed two clams or two shrimp a day and I think I may cut back to half that. And see how he does. Plus he poops a lot and they are HUGE!!!!

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the feeling. My porcupine puffer does the same thing. Constantly begging and spitting water at me. I feed him every day and I feed enough that he gets a slight bulge in his stomach. Sometimes he steals food from other fish and his stomach looks like he ate a tennis ball. He is always scouring the tank for scraps...

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know the feeling. My porcupine puffer does the same thing. Constantly begging and spitting water at me. I feed him every day and I feed enough that he gets a slight bulge in his stomach. Sometimes he steals food from other fish and his stomach looks like he ate a tennis ball. He is always scouring the tank for scraps...
100%!!! I know when he overeats it doesn’t make him feel good but when he does eat what I normally feed him he gets a big bulge. He looks so happy and content though unless he eats too much/too fast and I know when that happens almost immediately or he regurgitates it.
IMG_9258.jpeg

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100%!!! I know when he overeats it doesn’t make him feel good but when he does eat what I normally feed him he gets a big bulge. He looks so happy and content though unless he eats too much/too fast and I know when that happens almost immediately or he regurgitates it.
IMG_9258.jpeg
lol yup I know that sight all too well

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How much do you feed? What do you feed? How big is he? Let me see photos! I love puffers.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I skipped the entire thread after I saw your fathers recommendation. Listen to your father.

killer whale ice GIF by BBC Earth
Unlike my Mom who while I was away was feeding Hewbie double what I feed twice a day! I’m sure he loved it but I yelled at her! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you feed? What do you feed? How big is he? Let me see photos! I love puffers.
It varies. I make my own frozen food with is a mix of chunks of clams, mussels, oysters, squid, scallops, fish, shrimp. I defrost it and I feed my puffer (whom my wife named Pineapple) some of the chunks with tongs first. Id guess he eats anywhere from 1-2 clams and 1-2 shrimps. Once I feed him with the tongs I dump the rest of the food in the tank for the remaining fish. He then swims around getting anything else he can catch.

Hes about 6". He is actually about to go to my brothers tank so I sadly wont have him anymore. But I do have a 2" porcupine I am currently growing out that will stay with me.

Heres a pic of the 6" (sorry for the heavy blue light). I can get a pic of the baby 2" puffer when I get home.
IMG_7305 (1).jpg

IMG_7304.jpg

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It varies. I make my own frozen food with is a mix of chunks of clams, mussels, oysters, squid, scallops, fish, shrimp. I defrost it and I feed my puffer (whom my wife named Pineapple) some of the chunks with tongs first. Id guess he eats anywhere from 1-2 clams and 1-2 shrimps. Once I feed him with the tongs I dump the rest of the food in the tank for the remaining fish. He then swims around getting anything else he can catch.

Hes about 6". He is actually about to go to my brothers tank so I sadly wont have him anymore. But I do have a 2" porcupine I am currently growing out that will stay with me.

Heres a pic of the 6" (sorry for the heavy blue light). I can get a pic of the baby 2" puffer when I get home.
IMG_7305 (1).jpg

IMG_7304.jpg
What a cute name! How big of a tank is he in and what will he be going into? How long have you had him?

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it depends on whether you know whether you're actually overfeeding to start.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a cute name! How big of a tank is he in and what will he be going into? How long have you had him?
Yea when I brought my first porcupine home she said it looks look a pineapple. So now every porcupine we have had has been named pineapple lol. I got him originally for my 180 gallon (6x2x2) mixed reef and he is now in my 300 gallon (10x2x2) mixed reef . Ive had this particular puffer for about 3 years now. My brother has a 6x3x2 (don't remember the gallons) which he is moving into this weekend actually.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.6%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 30 33.0%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back