if you could have as many tanks as you want what would they be?

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seriously, not just "I would have 1 of every type of tank" what tanks would you have? I would probably have 12 and these are what I would have.

main display will be 300 gallon fowlr with porc puffer, couple angels, tangs, wrasses, you know, the non reef safe fish.
second display will be a 150 cube mixed reef
third display will be a 90 gallon clownfish and anemone tank. probably a dozen clowns and nems.
fouth will be a 40 breeder with a peacock mantis shrimp and a couple damnsels (essentially food for the mantis lol)
fifth will be a 180 gallon predator tank
sixth will be a 50+ gallon column tank housing seahorses and pipefish
seventh will be a 75 display fuge completely packed with macro
eighth will be my 1 gallon tank
ninth will be a intertidal lagoon tank (this will be a PITA to setup as it will have a flood and drain system on it to simulate the tide going in and out.)
10th will be a 75 gallon freshwater planted
11th will be a frag tank designed as a touch tank for my kids. mostly inverts that they can use to study and learn about and use for school projects.
12th will be a frag tank for my frags.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the number of tanks that would be weird or excessive for me. It's the size. IF i could.... I would have two entire walls of my house be tanks. One for predators and one for a community reef. I'd have a QT system large enough to handle my huge fish for my huge tanks and a frag tank of course. I would also pay somebody to come do the yucky part of maintenance and I'd be the diver to get into the tanks for cleaning. Oh and of course a whole new house is required for this plan as well. lol So it's not how many in my case, it's how big! lol

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indoor Olympic sized swimming pool tuned into a full blown reef! Sectioned into 2 sections for Sps and select stuff and the other side would be for predator fish.

OP
OP
Dtackett

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Indoor Olympic sized swimming pool tuned into a full blown reef! Sectioned into 2 sections for Sps and select stuff and the other side would be for predator fish.
ive actually debated on using a 12 foot above ground pool for a lagoon in my basement. get one from walmart for like 90 bucks on sale, replace the "pool filter" with an external pump so it would act like a closed loop system.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen something like that before. Using a pool in the basement for sharks and large angles and whatnot. My problem with it is viewing. I'm not a fan of top down only viewing. Cool though.

OP
OP
Dtackett

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can buy a rigid pool for a couple hundred bucks and replace one panel with a sheet of acrylic. but even then you can only see from one side. but just think... go take a really hot shower to clean all the oils and perfumes off... snorkle in your own personal reef in your basement....

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I'm just dreaming here so I'm sure I could dream up new things I'd want to add to this dream tank or tanks. Side viewing would be awesome for sure! I'm thinking Pigpen has it right already and if I had the money I'd just build off his tank!
If I had unlimited money I'd be sipping Hennessy on the rocks in my house with acrylic floors, placed strategically over the Gbr. [emoji6] but that's just me...

OP
OP
Dtackett

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I'm just dreaming here so I'm sure I could dream up new things I'd want to add to this dream tank or tanks. Side viewing would be awesome for sure! I'm thinking Pigpen has it right already and if I had the money I'd just build off his tank!
If I had unlimited money I'd be sipping Hennessy on the rocks in my house with acrylic floors, placed strategically over the Gbr. [emoji6] but that's just me...
lol that would be awesome. except id still be drinking jack lol. but that's the great thing about threads like this. its all dreams. so why not go big?

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the number of tanks that would be weird or excessive for me. It's the size. IF i could.... I would have two entire walls of my house be tanks. One for predators and one for a community reef. I'd have a QT system large enough to handle my huge fish for my huge tanks and a frag tank of course. I would also pay somebody to come do the yucky part of maintenance and I'd be the diver to get into the tanks for cleaning. Oh and of course a whole new house is required for this plan as well. lol So it's not how many in my case, it's how big! lol
Pretty much sums it up on my thinking as well lol.

jasonandsarah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why not go big and build a house inside an aquarium with all acrylic walls? now that would be amazing..
Why not build an acrylic house in the middle of the barrier reef? Lol nobody can do it like mother nature.

OP
OP
Dtackett

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not build an acrylic house in the middle of the barrier reef? Lol nobody can do it like mother nature.
well, that might have been true a few hundred or thousand years ago but unfortunately the reefs of the world don't look anything like they used to anymore. between pollution, climate changes, human interaction, and spreading algae the reefs are sick and they look it. so IMO our aquariums look better than the natural reefs.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont forget the pool guy-oh wait... the algae scraper guy to scrap the algae off your acrylic house every day. lol

OP
OP
Dtackett

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont forget the pool guy-oh wait... the algae scraper guy to scrap the algae off your acrylic house every day. lol
ive got an all acrylic house inside a million gallon aquarium. I think I can afford to hire someone to clean it... or maybe one of those robotic pool cleaners attached to the outside of the house... hmmm...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got an all acrylic house inside a million gallon aquarium. I think I can afford to hire someone to clean it... or maybe one of those robotic pool cleaners attached to the outside of the house... hmmm...

We are dreaming right? In my dream he's Channing Tatum lol That's super important to the dream, it's not about affordability, it's about WHO it is! :D

OP
OP
Dtackett

Dtackett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are dreaming right? In my dream he's Channing Tatum lol That's super important to the dream, it's not about affordability, it's about WHO it is! :D
lol yup. all dreams at this point... im not even sure if channing tatum could afford to build this so why not lol

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol yup. all dreams at this point... im not even sure if channing tatum could afford to build this so why not lol
Nah, but if he could he would build his right next to mine and well.... we both have clear houses! lol totaly the best place to live ever
i"m sure my husband wouldn't mind at all!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back