Important question on fang blennies and fairy wrasse

Porcupine Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going back and fourth with the thought of adding these fish to my tank, cause I have been conflicted with research telling me that both species need to be fed frequently and it's been putting me off. The list of which fairy wrasse and fang blennies I thought about keeping are: kamohara blenny, Canary blenny, Lubbocks fairy wrasse and either mcoskers fairy or carpenters wrasse. Wanted to clarify this question since I didn't want to get fish that need to eat multiple times a day in order to not starve to death, experiences are also appreciated.

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a Refugium well stocked with copepods makes it easier to feed a hungry wrasse

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a fang blenny and multiple wrasses in my tank for years with no issues including 6 line, fairy, yellow coris, etc.... and a mandarin mixed in to

HorribleParameters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going back and fourth with the thought of adding these fish to my tank, cause I have been conflicted with research telling me that both species need to be fed frequently and it's been putting me off. The list of which fairy wrasse and fang blennies I thought about keeping are: kamohara blenny, Canary blenny, Lubbocks fairy wrasse and either mcoskers fairy or carpenters wrasse. Wanted to clarify this question since I didn't want to get fish that need to eat multiple times a day in order to not starve to death, experiences are also appreciated.

I love my McCoskers flasher, his coloring in comparison to the Carpenters flasher I had was a lot prettier IMO. I toss flakes in 1-3 times daily, frozen food once or twice a week, R.O.E once in a while… He’s fat as ****.

IMG_5654.png

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have personal experience with fang blennies, but I make the assumption that smaller, high metabolism fish all benefit from multiple feedings throughout the day. Can they survive on one meal of mysis and/or pellets and/or other stuff? Perhaps, probably. For wrasses, they have smaller stomachs and faster metabolisms. I have my autofeeder going off 4x per day and I try to add an additional 1-2 feedings inbetween, but minimum 4x per day. My tailspot blenny has no qualms with eating during every one of of those feedings, either.

An Eheim autofeeder and TDO pellets isn't too expensive and most fish would probably appreciate it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back