in mix tank, can we add anything we want?

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something that has being on my mind for quiet some time now. we all want this cool looking sps and this lps, and softies and you name it. But can they truly fit in our tanks when we buy them from little frags? and get along/acclimate in our aquariums,
In reality when we want to buy those "high end acro" frags, they almost 99% of the time came from acropora only grow-out tanks from sellers.
I guess I'm mostly referring to acropora here, since those have way bigger chance to die then survive in our tanks. For example: a small little frag came from acro only system and put right into a mixed tank, when i have basketball size frogspawn coral 1 foot away from it, and 20 different zoas on the other end, and expect it to get along and grow into a colony.
what im trying to say, are some acroporas are just not meant to be in a mix tanks?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed reefs, especially one that has softies and some LPS mixed in with acros can be very tricky. The needs of those coral are quite different and it's not an easy feat to meet all their needs. It's not impossible as there are aquarists who are able to pull it off. It requires a lot of attention to detail and knowledge of each coral and it's specific needs. Good luck with your reef, whatever you decide to keep.

Digimes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
something that has being on my mind for quiet some time now. we all want this cool looking sps and this lps, and softies and you name it. But can they truly fit in our tanks when we buy them from little frags? and get along/acclimate in our aquariums,
In reality when we want to buy those "high end acro" frags, they almost 99% of the time came from acropora only grow-out tanks from sellers.
I guess I'm mostly referring to acropora here, since those have way bigger chance to die then survive in our tanks. For example: a small little frag came from acro only system and put right into a mixed tank, when i have basketball size frogspawn coral 1 foot away from it, and 20 different zoas on the other end, and expect it to get along and grow into a colony.
what im trying to say, are some acroporas are just not meant to be in a mix tanks?
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but with the right lighting and consistent parameters, you are mainly limited by size of tank and some corals are aggressive to others. I have SPS, LPS and softies in my 5g nano right now.

Attachments

• 20231231_104114.jpg
    20231231_104114.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230916_145358_0000.png
    20230916_145358_0000.png
    39.7 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
zheka757

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but with the right lighting and consistent parameters, you are mainly limited by size of tank and some corals are aggressive to others. I have SPS, LPS and softies in my 5g nano right now.
My tank can grow lots of sps as well, this Monti 3 plate combo I have is 24x24" birdsnest to the right, is size of basketball. I have some colonies of acto as well, alot of them actually. But it's just that when I buy those expensive acro frags, most turn out to be disappointments, With lost of wasted money and emotions.
20231015_160209.jpg

20240108_214010.jpg
20240108_214035.jpg

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 61 78.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back