Inkbird

Pfleghaar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the constant cycling of a temperature controller affect the accuracy of a standard heater that is meant to stay plug in continually

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old heaters are notorious for failing ( both to heat or to shut off) and that is why people use the inkbird to control power to the heater element. Both the heater and the inkbird are made to cycle with temperature changes in the tank. I usually set my heater element to a degree higher than I want my tank to run and trust the inkbird to shut it all down when/ if the tank gets hot.

ColorMeGone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both my 50w heaters full blast and let the temp I set the Inkbird at take full control of them. If one heater craps out I still have another to keep things in check.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run both my 50w heaters full blast and let the temp I set the Inkbird at take full control of them. If one heater craps out I still have another to keep things in check.
Only issue with this is if your inkbird is the thing that breaks and stays on.... Whole point is redundancy. I keep mine the same as mentioned above. 1 degree higher than inkbird

ColorMeGone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really had no idea how to use the Inkbird so I set it up as I stated. It's only running in my dry rock Cycling tank at the moment and will set it up the way you are using it when it goes to my display tank. Makes sense to me. Thanks

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Old heaters are notorious for failing ( both to heat or to shut off) and that is why people use the inkbird to control power to the heater element. Both the heater and the inkbird are made to cycle with temperature changes in the tank. I usually set my heater element to a degree higher than I want my tank to run and trust the inkbird to shut it all down when/ if the tank gets hot.
I do the same thing just incase the inkbird crashes for whatever reason

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller (Inkbird) cycling doesn't put any cycle times on the heater so the heater stays very reliable for much longer. Setting the heater slightly above the Inkbird is best way to ensure redundancy. I had an Inkbird fail off (preferred failure) but the heater set slightly above doesn't do anything with no power. Anymore I like to run a heater on a different controller or just rely on the internal setting (I trust Eheim Jager) and set it at min temp just in case.

ColorMeGone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The controller (Inkbird) cycling doesn't put any cycle times on the heater so the heater stays very reliable for much longer. Setting the heater slightly above the Inkbird is best way to ensure redundancy. I had an Inkbird fail off (preferred failure) but the heater set slightly above doesn't do anything with no power. Anymore I like to run a heater on a different controller or just rely on the internal setting (I trust Eheim Jager) and set it at min temp just in case.
That's a great point. No power no heater. I guess you just take your chances like any equipment dealing with your tanks, not just Inkbirds.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back