Insight on Anthias ownership?

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be aware if you get some anthias and they get established you might not be able to add more later. I had one female (possibly changing to male) get established in my tank, now when i tried added 3 more females and a male it didnt work. My established lyretail and the new male locked mouths and went at it, so i had to take them out. Good anthias fighting, its no joke, they try to rip each others mouths off it seems like.

Keepswiming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with adding a group of females and be done with it. They will figure out who the male will be...

OP
OP
K

kopaczjm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all anthias are created equal. Some, such as the huchtii, are conspecific-aggressive. Lyretails seem to hit the middle somewhere in terms of aggression; groups will often slowly kill each other off. Bartletts and Lyretails seem to be the hardiest.

When they say jumpers, it's kind of an understatement. These things can VAULT. Cover your acclimation bucket!!!

that sounds crazy! acclimation sounds like it will be a great time!

If you buy a single male and have him alone long term, I wouldn't be surprised if he changes semi back to female a loses color. I have 2, and the male is nearly orange again.

i like the orange of the females but we'll see what happens. i'll be sure to post my experience -buying, acclimating, adjustment, and end result.

thanks again for the information everyone :)

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear, when I was acclimating my Bartlett way back he gave me a heart attack. From a "standing" start in the bottom of one of those orange Home Depot 5g buckets, he cleared the rim with a good two feet minimum to spare. I went from elation to horror in a second flat XP

Back