ION Director - measuring Ca + Mg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Matthias Gross

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe comparing prices of the KHD with similar products is a bit off topic, anyway it needs some more clarification in my opinion:

The KHD Standalone costs $849, the slave version $799. KHG $599.
So you save $250 or $200 (if you connect the KHD slave set to a ProfiLux), not $400. And this does not consider:
- KHD sets (both versions) have one extra dosing pump, e.g. for controlling the KH
- much more options to control your KH using the KHD, e.g.
1. adjust up to 5 dosing pumps depending on the readings - so can also be used for Triton or Balling
2. Calcium reactor control
3. Kalkwasser control
4. manifold options, like alarms, thresholds where control shuts off, etc.

Not to mention you have all in one interface (cloud, app, software, whatever you want) when using the ProfiLux with the KHD and dosing pumps.

I don't think that you can compare the KHD and KHG at all.

Maybe it is worth to read a bit more about the KHD details:
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/products/kh-director

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe comparing prices of the KHD with similar products is a bit off topic, anyway it needs some more clarification in my opinion:

So you save $250 or $200 (if you connect the KHD slave set to a ProfiLux), not $400. And this does not consider:
- KHD sets (both versions) have one extra dosing pump, e.g. for controlling the KH
1. adjust up to 5 dosing pumps depending on the readings - so can also be used for Triton or Balling
3. Kalkwasser control

Not to mention you have all in one interface (cloud, app, software, whatever you want) when using the ProfiLux with the KHD and dosing pumps.

Super useful Matthias. Thank you!

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3. Kalkwasser control

Sorry one question, I did not know khd can controll CArx. Can you confirm that please..
Would we need special module to do so? This is actually big deal for me...

OP
OP
Matthias Gross

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the Ca reactor control you would need a P4 (KHD in Slave mode) because you need at controllable outlet, the advanced control version also requires a ph probe.

The advanced version
The KHD can change the set point of a chosen pH based on the difference of measured and desired KH. This pH probe controls the socket where your CO2 solenoid is connected to. This way you can influence your reactor.
Of course you need a ph probe with the relating pH port for that. If no ports are free plug in a pH card, e.g. PLM-pH

The simple version
Here the KHD does not influence a pH control loop like above, it simple switches a socket on and off depending on KH.
I believe this simple control can also be found in the KHG.

All control options are explained in detail in the KHD manual, see download area of our web page https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/downloads/

OP
OP
Matthias Gross

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And maybe the most import reason of all not to mix different systems:

It looks much better when everything has the same design!

Here are a few customer photos from our FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/GHLOwners/

KHD_GiacomoC.PNG
KHD_AdrianF.PNG
KHD_LarsS.PNG
KHD_IslandReef.PNG

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Matthias Gross , will I need a total of 5 or 6 pumps, depending on what the ION uses, to run a KH director and a ION director?

Last edited:

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gents aqua buss use a std e-net cable? installing tank today and need to run cable for AWC plus ??? in basement

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gents aqua buss use a std e-net cable? installing tank today and need to run cable for AWC plus ??? in basement
Yes. Just remember not to plug it into a router! PAB devices only.

And you can daisy chain devices but the last one needs to be the end of the line (meaning don't form a loop by connecting the last one back to the first).

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No reagent but calibration fluid.
If I understand correctly it requires a calibration before each test, that's why they must design a device and not just put probes alone. So there will be consumption of calibration fluid at each measurement.
Ah, that makes sense, thanks.

ReefyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3. Kalkwasser control

Actually Coralvue has the KHG for $499.

And while I may not fully agree with (or understand) all of your points, I do definitely see the KHD as being the better product, while the KHG is still a sufficient product. The KHG already monitors and controls alkalinity, so your point about the additional dosing head on the KHD seems moot, as of course we were already assuming the KHD wasn’t being used to just monitor. For the CaRx control you said you would also need a P4, just as the KHG claims to work with reactors when connected to a 3rd party controller, so again seems like a moot point to me. I definitely prefer the aesthetics of GHL and the software/wifi included with the KHD, but, all I really NEED is something to reliably monitor and control my alkalinity. If I want to be able to justify buying your ION director for the additional parameter (Ca/N/P) control later, saving almost $400 bucks today on just the Kh doesn’t sound like a bad idea.

It’s just an expensive hobby and we all gotta do what works for us, nothing against the amazing products you guys make! I really do like your products a lot. BRS has been having their all month preferred reefer giveaway and literally the ONLY thing that has been in my cart the entire time is the KHD + stand-alone doser... I just hoped they could chip in some so I could have an excuse to justify paying whatever the difference was.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually Coralvue has the KHG for $499.
referb? this morn its 599
edit: Ok I see it now, interface module is 100 KHG is 499

Last edited:

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And maybe the most import reason of all not to mix different systems:

It looks much better when everything has the same design!

Here are a few customer photos from our FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/GHLOwners/

While I do like a bit of GHL ****, I don’t think those set ups are practical.

I’ve had too many experiences of the 2.1 doser popping off it’s tubes to ever wish to place the doser anywhere but immediately above the sump to prevent leakages from such events.

Of course the maxi doser has nice fitting to prevent such issues. It would be great if GHL could offer some improved nozzle fixings for the 2.1 doser, something like the vertex libra dosers had/have...just a suggestion as an optional extra perhaps :)

pigmo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
late to this, but me and @jzw vote ca, mg, no3 and po4...

po4 separately at a later date is ok too... maybe in a separate box like the khd?

strontium and iodine would be gratuitous, but we'd buy that too.

michelle ;Cat

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any reason this couldn't do Alk as well? I'd love to be able to choose what to test. (Ideally I'd choose alk/nitrate/phosphate. Those are my "big 3")

The intakes on the units seem very similar. I could see it being frustrating for people who have already invested in the KHd... but that said: technically the ION shoiuld be capable of testing Kh as well right? Or am I misunderstanding how the ION does its tests?

EDIT: Reading through the other comments I'm starting to understand. Ignore me :)

Last edited:

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a few things that raised the price a little that I wanted, hate the fact that the power bar only has 6 outlets, had to get 2, but that may be enough, in order to monitor and adjust alk you have to have the KH director and 3 pumps, depending on whether or not the ION director needs an additional 3 pumps may be the deal breaker, the fact that I only dose alk and cal may sway me to still keep an interest in switching, we will see.

You know now how Europeen feels when they do get only 6 outlets from Neptune when 8 available in the US. At least GHL sell the same for all ;Smuggrin
Not to talk about the E832 not being available at all for those non US plugs and selling their old powerbar with new 2016 controller ;Dead

KH Director does not have its own power supply and use the same 24vdc power supply from Doser 2.1 with a provided splitter-cable, so allowing to save one outlet on powerbar.
Not sure how will the Ion be powered but if we can expect to be the same as the Kh Director then only 2 outlets for both sets will be needed.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Facebook just had an update: Ca / Mg / K seem to be the three currently working well. More to follow.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this measure alk too? Or will you need to buy the standard director as well

also, does this have an auto water change function?

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back