ION Director - measuring Ca + Mg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean realistically I would need the following: p4 mega + Kh director and doser + Ion director and doser + 2.1, + seperate 4 channel doser

2.1 for AWC
Spare heads on dosers 1 + 2 to dose ATI essentials
Seperate 4 channel doser to dose N03p04x or another carbon source if needed, possibly a food slurry.
Use the p4 to program fuge lighting or dosing of carbon based on n03 and p04 test results to keep them stable
AWC + Fuge + Carbon dosing as needed should keep levels anywhere you want them. Hook up a auto feeder as well, and the only tank maintenance you do is scrape the glass.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now to think what to do with all the green GHL packing peanuts

Yes, I have an entire garbage bag full of the green packing peanuts from GHL

They do pack everything very well, and do not skimp on the green peanuts!!

OP
OP
Matthias Gross

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you plan on releasing a mega set...? As in, p4 + Kh Director + Ion directory + Dosers needed? Id love to see an option where I could just buy the "Ghl Complete reef automation set" or something like that that includes everything
I think this is a great idea, but I am not sure if it is practicable. We will think about it.
If it makes not much sense to offer this as a permanent product then maybe as special offer during introduction.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We didn't want to announce our next product, the ION Director, before we have ALL facts, especially prices and availability, and all technical details, because announcing too early can lead to unnecessary pressure and dissatisfaction - so we tried to avoid that.

BUT: So many people who knew that we are working on a solution for measuring Calcium had been asking the last weeks, we felt that it is overdue to announce now at least the most important (and already firm) facts.

This is already clear about the ION Director:
  • will measure (at least) Calcium and Magnesium
  • no reagents, works with sensors (but still needs calibration fluid)
  • several measurements per day (customizable), no permanent measurement
  • needs a Doser Standalone, ProfiLux 3 or ProfiLux 4 as a "brain" for operation, connected over ProfiLux Aquatic Bus (similar principle as KH Director)
  • needs 2 or 3 pumps (still under development): sample in/out, calibration fluid in + out
  • can also control Ca and Mg (via changing dosing amounts or switching sockets)
  • small sample amount
  • self calibrating
  • usual features as for our other measurements: alarms, graphs, etc.
  • will be shown at Macna 2019
  • sales start November 2019
No final information about prices yet. No details about the probes resp. their lifetime can be announced at this point.
Our main goals are to have very accurate readings, long probe lifetime and reasonably priced replacement probes. We are working hard with our probe vendor on that.

Our tests are extremely promising, this is how it will look like (maybe changes in details):
IonDirector.jpg

More details ASAP!
I am so excited and cannot wait for the release...thank you for this awesome line up.i do have a question. Would the ion director require a profilux controller or would it have the ability to be stand alone as in the khd.if the answer is both, any pros and cons between the 2 options?

OP
OP
Matthias Gross

Matthias Gross

GHL Team
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking and giving me the opportunity to clarify this, others have certainly already asked themselves this question.

Yes, you can use the ION Director without the ProfiLux. We will have here a similar principle as with the KHD:

1. ION Director + GHL Doser Standalone - the Doser is here the "brain" - no ProfiLux controller needed

2. KH Director + GHL Doser Slave + ProfiLux 3/4(e) - the ProfiLux is here the brain

If you decide for option 1 you can later still add a ProfiLux: The GHL Doser Standalone can be changed to behave like a Slave (just a software setting), you add a ProfiLux and the ProfiLux takes over the control.

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking and giving me the opportunity to clarify this, others have certainly already asked themselves this question.

Yes, you can use the ION Director without the ProfiLux. We will have here a similar principle as with the KHD:

1. ION Director + GHL Doser Standalone - the Doser is here the "brain" - no ProfiLux controller needed

2. KH Director + GHL Doser Slave + ProfiLux 3/4(e) - the ProfiLux is here the brain

If you decide for option 1 you can later still add a ProfiLux: The GHL Doser Standalone can be changed to behave like a Slave (just a software setting), you add a ProfiLux and the ProfiLux takes over the control.
And that's how you build starting from customers need and benefits.
Great great plan thank you so so much

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a great idea, but I am not sure if it is practicable. We will think about it.
If it makes not much sense to offer this as a permanent product then maybe as special offer during introduction.

Maybe it is better to offer a discount on each additional product. So like if someone wants an Ion Director they pay the price but then if they also want a KHD, they get $40 off, and if they also want two D2.1's, they get $40 off each of those as well, or something like that. That way you don't have to actually create additional SKU's and you could make it valid for 60 days after Ion Director release or something like that.

Edit - Oh and when this product releases, do us all a favour and don't release it at 3Am EST with like 200 units available. Ok thanks :p:D

And I wasn't really kidding about the Bratwurst. That stuff is delicious. If VW can have their own branded bratwurst I'm sure GHL can too!

Last edited:

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it is better to offer a discount on each additional product. So like if someone wants an Ion Director they pay the price but then if they also want a KHD, they get $40 off, and if they also want two D2.1's, they get $40 off each of those as well, or something like that. That way you don't have to actually create additional SKU's and you could make it valid for 60 days after Ion Director release or something like that.

Edit - Oh and when this product releases, do us all a favour and don't release it at 3Am EST with like 200 units available. Ok thanks :p:D

And I wasn't really kidding about the Bratwurst. That stuff is delicious. If VW can have their own branded bratwurst I'm sure GHL can too!
I like this idea, I have been looking for a package deal , considering switching over so I am wanting quite a few things!

Tristren

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two other questions for whomever,

I know that a lot of people are ok "just" having the KH monitor because calcium and magnesium generally follow that number as they are absorbed. But is the reverse true? Meaning if you are monitoring calcium and magnesium and they are stable, would you be comfortable not monitoring alkalinity and reducing your testing?
Or is it that alkalinity the most sensitive of the three, and that ca and mg and tend to follow it but are more forgiving to infrequent testing?

and on these Ion probes. One advantage of using them for testing/monitoring would seem to be the lack of reagent, so the ongoing cost should be less. But what's the maintenance and lifespan of them? I know there was a bit of a kerfuffle with the Trident around periodic maintenance. How would this compare (again, just based on ion probes in general as this unit isn't built yet)?

Cheers,
Tony

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that a lot of people are ok "just" having the KH monitor because calcium and magnesium generally follow that number as they are absorbed.
I've seen this commented, and I feel it is true for calcium. Alk and Calc are taken up at the same rate by corals. This should not be used as a guide for magnesium imo. Magnesium uptake by coral can vary quite markedly from from species to species. There is no accurate ratio that can compare alkalinity to magnesium.

if you are monitoring calcium and magnesium and they are stable, would you be comfortable not monitoring alkalinity and reducing your testing?
I would not, because of the accuracy of the test kits. A 5ppm change in calcium should cause around a 0.7dkh change in alkalinity. If your test has an accuracy of +/- 10ppm that would be like an alk test that was +/- 1.4dkh.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this Ca/Mg/etc. probe technology eventually move towards an in sump probe that connects directly to the controller? Like how pH, salinity, ORP work today.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this Ca/Mg/etc. probe technology eventually move towards an in sump probe that connects directly to the controller? Like how pH, salinity, ORP work today.
I suspect not any time in the near future. Right now all the methods used to measure these require some sort of external reagent. It's possible someone may come up with a way to in the future, but to the best of my knowledge there isn't a known process or reaction that can be measured directly for most of these elements.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back