Is 0.8ppm ammonia waterchange worthy ATM?

Munkiful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,my tank reached the end of its cycle give or take a month/month 1/2 ago. I've since added 2 clowns, and a snowflake eel. I've gone though a 40% water change 3 days ago due to a alkalinity issue I wasn't aware of. Used RODI water to complete the change. Anyways, I'm leaving on a 5 day trip tomorrow and decided to test everything today for safety. Using the red sea kit. My ammonia is 0.8ppm, PH is 8.2. I have a feeling it's because of the large waterchange and the depletion of bacteria. I normally wouldn't worry to much, and just add some more bacteria, but I'm leaving for 5 days. I don't want to run the risk of my ammonia climbing, but I also don't want to do another water change and screw with my bacteria levels even more. What to do?
Picture of fish for fun

20220818_181805.jpg 20220818_145738.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is cycled. I wouldnt worry about ammonia as the tank is constantly processing it.
The bacteria is encysted onto all the surfaces so removing water will not depleat the bacteria.

You should be fine as long as your Ph is around 8

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Munkiful

Munkiful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi all,my tank reached the end of its cycle give or take a month/month 1/2 ago. I've since added 2 clowns, and a snowflake eel. I've gone though a 40% water change 3 days ago due to a alkalinity issue I wasn't aware of. Used RODI water to complete the change. Anyways, I'm leaving on a 5 day trip tomorrow and decided to test everything today for safety. Using the red sea kit. My ammonia is 0.8ppm, PH is 8.2. I have a feeling it's because of the large waterchange and the depletion of bacteria. I normally wouldn't worry to much, and just add some more bacteria, but I'm leaving for 5 days. I don't want to run the risk of my ammonia climbing, but I also don't want to do another water change and screw with my bacteria levels even more. What to do?
Picture of fish for fun

20220818_181805.jpg 20220818_145738.jpg
Snowflake feeling at home. That’s great. Classic reef image. Good luck w system.

OP
OP
Munkiful

Munkiful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn’t have any ammonia if cycled. What size system and what’s the no3 and po4. Rock looks new W hair algae.
I don't have anything to take care of the algae ATM, and it really doesn't bother me for the time being. I'm not ready to expand with corals, and cucumbers etc yet due to my budget and I'd rather have SOMETHING than just rock lol. My nitrite is between 0 and 0.05 nitrate is 5. Tank is 45G, with 40 pounds of rock.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an ever evolving hobby with lots of new gadgets that have finally put that notion to rest :cool:
It has been proved that it can take 3 days for a tank to ramp up ammonia consuming bacteria when demand is increased, and then only if there is suitable surface area. Therefore ammonia spikes are possible, especially when digging around in the sand etc. Brandon made the assumption that because most times they don’t cause fish death, that the actual ammonia was not present and the test kits were at fault. This assumption is wrong. Ammonia levels above 1.3ppm total ammonia at normal pH is definately cause for concern when converted to free ammonia reading. The 0.8 reading taken here may not be lethal, it doesn’t mean it is fictitious.

OP
OP
Munkiful

Munkiful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snowflake feeling at home. That’s great. Classic reef image. Good luck w system.

It has been proved that it can take 3 days for a tank to ramp up ammonia consuming bacteria when demand is increased, and then only if there is suitable surface area. Therefore ammonia spikes are possible, especially when digging around in the sand etc. Brandon made the assumption that because most times they don’t cause fish death, that the actual ammonia was not present and the test kits were at fault. This assumption is wrong. Ammonia levels above 1.3ppm total ammonia at normal pH is definately cause for concern when converted to free ammonia reading. The 0.8 reading taken here may not be lethal, it doesn’t mean it is fictitious.
So in your opinion, would I be better off doing a water change? If so, what percentage?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this exerpt.
That gentlemen spent quite some time on his experiment with ammonia.

I still like his sand rinse data.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have anything to take care of the algae ATM, and it really doesn't bother me for the time being. I'm not ready to expand with corals, and cucumbers etc yet due to my budget and I'd rather have SOMETHING than just rock lol. My nitrite is between 0 and 0.05 nitrate is 5. Tank is 45G, with 40 pounds of rock.
Idk Mayb I’m out of touch w new gadgets but a cycled tank should have nitrates 0 and ammonia 0. But if the fish and eel isn’t stressed then….and ty @Garf.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in your opinion, would I be better off doing a water change? If so, what percentage?
Have you checked it again? If it’s going down, that’ll be a good sign. Never had an eel personally, I’ve heard they are beasts at the dining table, lol

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk Mayb I’m out of touch w new gadgets but a cycled tank should have nitrates 0 and ammonia 0. But if the fish and eel isn’t stressed then….and ty @Garf.
Tanks can be cycled with fish (Always how i did it lol)
Stressful for the inhabitants but were talking about 2+ppm ammonia and i actually never killed any of them :grinning-face-with-sweat:

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tanks can be cycled with fish (Always how i did it lol)
Stressful for the inhabitants but were talking about 2+ppm ammonia and i actually never killed any of them :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Yeah we all been there and used methods that cycled systems but OP had a tank w detectable nitrites and ammonia so it’s not fully cycled. Not sayin it can’t be done

OP
OP
Munkiful

Munkiful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked it again? If it’s going down, that’ll be a good sign. Never had an eel personally, I’ve heard they are beasts at the dining table, lol
I feed mine every two days, but I'm also paranoid about it having a 175$ snack and loosing a storm. I just tested, and it's still 0.8

Attachments

• 20220820_135928.jpg
    20220820_135928.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 32

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine every two days, but I'm also paranoid about it having a 175$ snack and loosing a storm. I just tested, and it's still 0.8
Can we have a full pic of the tank and a pic of the sump if it’s got one. Looking on the bright side, at 0.8, it ain’t going up. Can you make a glass with 50% new salt water and 50% tank water, then test that see if you get 0.4 ish (just to evidence it’s a real reading and not a dodgy test kit, method).

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 99 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back