Is Gen X the last great reefing generation

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, what has happened tho this hobby. Reading the last few weeks and just a bunch of knee jerk type reactions with no common sense reefing solutions or personally responsibility.

Just gimmie the solution to my problem and it better be right, type of mindset. Or the long winded “pc” responses, that offer zero help but lots of I’m sorry’s, cos too scared to hurt someone’s feelings.

Guess it’s just society in general theses days!

But are we GenX’rs really the last??
Its pretty sad. Although I'm 14 and carrying the legacy I also have gotten multiple youngins into the hobby! (4-14 year olds)

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after reading (most of) the first page I should let you all know:

We millennials met (virtually of course) and have decided to kill the hobby. Of course it will come after we finish off the diamond industry, fossil fuels, the housing industry, and whatever else we happen to be taking out. There are just so many, I can't be bothered to remember them all.

But really, it's just us snowflakes with our inability to cope with student debt that we were irresponsible in getting while, in our entitlement, working for less than a living wage so the shareholders get there extra basis point.

In sum, I'm sorry I have questions. I'm sorry I don't want to trial and error with the life of an animal when I can get a simple answer or direction. I'm sorry that getting older is scary, times are changing, and access to information is different than when you all were coming up.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR the whole thread…

I’m a millennial. So take my opinion for what’s it worth. You are absolutely correct we just want answers when we ask questions. For me though, I am less concerned with the structure behind it. I just want to know if it works and what’s the procedure to make it work.

For example…PAR…if I’m asking what par the coral needs, just give me an accurate range. I could care less about well par is just one measurement of light when we should actually look at pur and pur is the….of light…measured in micro moles or whatever. Just say hey, I keep it between 150-200. If I wanted the science lesson, I’d go back to school.

Water chemistry though is a bit different. While we all want just the numbers, understanding how certain elements interact (how alk, ca, and mg interact for example) is a necessary knowledge. I don’t need the full science just that changing one level can affect the others in this way or that way.

But realistically, yes we just want answers. Now if I decide to learn more about it, such as wanting to learn the microscopic identification of dinos, that’s on me to look into more.

If I don’t, the knowledge base will shrink, I’ll admit that, but ultimately that’s up to the person to research more. Idk. At this point I’m just rambling.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Regardless of my age, my nurse brain demands peer-reviewed or evidence based practices which are supported by scientific data.
With that being said, I think anecdotal advice is important - from successful, seasoned reefers.
People like @Reefer Matt who offer both, @ISpeakForTheSeas who backs up each post with resources and references.
I have tried to adopt this type of thinking and sharing advice or information equally if possible. If I'm not knowledgeable about a specific topic, I will happily ask around and point a new reefer in the most informed direction.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR the whole thread…

I’m a millennial. So take my opinion for what’s it worth. You are absolutely correct we just want answers when we ask questions. For me though, I am less concerned with the structure behind it. I just want to know if it works and what’s the procedure to make it work.

For example…PAR…if I’m asking what par the coral needs, just give me an accurate range. I could care less about well par is just one measurement of light when we should actually look at pur and pur is the….of light…measured in micro moles or whatever. Just say hey, I keep it between 150-200. If I wanted the science lesson, I’d go back to school.

Water chemistry though is a bit different. While we all want just the numbers, understanding how certain elements interact (how alk, ca, and mg interact for example) is a necessary knowledge. I don’t need the full science just that changing one level can affect the others in this way or that way.

But realistically, yes we just want answers. Now if I decide to learn more about it, such as wanting to learn the microscopic identification of dinos, that’s on me to look into more.

If I don’t, the knowledge base will shrink, I’ll admit that, but ultimately that’s up to the person to research more. Idk. At this point I’m just rambling.
That’s fair. The “problem” I see is that there aren’t too many things in reefing that are absolute. Coral and fish are very adaptable, within reason. You can ask for all the numbers you want, but you will get conflicting answers if you wait long enough. Really all you can do is try something and see if it works. On the flip side, it’s also tough to diagnose a situation with just text and a picture sometimes, and someone may misinterpret the question that is asked. But what I usually do is take an average of the advice given.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless of my age, my nurse brain demands peer-reviewed or evidence based practices which are supported by scientific data.
With that being said, I think anecdotal advice is important - from successful, seasoned reefers.
People like @Reefer Matt who offer both, @ISpeakForTheSeas who backs up each post with resources and references.
I have tried to adopt this type of thinking and sharing advice or information equally if possible. If I'm not knowledgeable about a specific topic, I will happily ask around and point a new reefer in the most informed direction.
I just offer what works for me if someone has a similar situation I’ve run across. I’ve also learned how to word my responses to indicate that my advice may not work for them. I don’t know it all, and never will. But I don’t have to. Thankfully we are lucky to have many awesome knowledgable folks here to help. And I definitely don’t belong in the same sentence as @ISpeakForTheSeas. Maybe someday I’ll know half as much! Lol. Thanks though!

Last edited:

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This dude again? Florida fish and wildlife tell you to kick rocks?

I’m not Gen X. Younger than that. Likely have more experience and for sure have more knowledge about reefing than you do. But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What in the name of all that is good and great is Gen Alpha? And who gets to decide what the generation "gap" is?
Not sure to the first, but to the second...
There is usually a wider shift in values, mindsets, and behaviors that happen over a few years or less. This shift happens largely across the greater culture and can be identified by particular events or advancements.
I haven't yet read this all, but the graphic at the top lays out well the differences.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What in the name of all that is good and great is Gen Alpha? And who gets to decide what the generation "gap" is?
Gen Alpha are those who are born from 2010 to today.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gen X is only the second generation in modern reefkeeping (keeping coral alive). Reefing as we know it is still very much in its infancy. Imagine what future generations will do with it.
Wow, a positive post about the future! *sends digital hi five*

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This dude again? Florida fish and wildlife tell you to kick rocks?

I’m not Gen X. Younger than that. Likely have more experience and for sure have more knowledge about reefing than you do. But ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ohh that's this guy... hmm better not post pics of my gopher tortoise and burrowing owls...

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wonder if he ever apologized to the guy he flamed in all those posts and reported before the guy even had a chance to post his email correspondence with FWC. Guessing not.

PharmrJohn

Picking Up My Trumpet Again After 35 Years!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I believe that was the late boomers like me :)

First computer (Apple 2 of course) in 1979 and I was well into internet newsgroups by 1985 using UUCP, and WWW when the Mosaic web browser was released in 93. I think I got my first web page up then too :cool:
Yep. I worked with the Apple IIe in 79. By 84 I had an Atari 520 ST (Upgraded to a SCREAMING 1MB of RAM!). We called them Billboards. And we used a 300 baud modem. That ATARI was top of the line in graphics back then!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the white paper, I mean white background unless you are viewing in dark mode?

Bottom line is that it's all made up, some of it follows statistics and the impacts of technology gets tossed in.

All started with "The Boomers" who were the offspring of "The Greatest Generation" and those were followed by successive waves of reproductive peaks caused perhaps by the synchronized monthly flows of American Women who were influenced by the invention of TV, and later the computer and now the iPhone and Ring Doorbells? Gen A is now kids under 10, or something like that.

Its as artificial as Instant Ocean but without the trace elements to justify the naming and labeling.

I also just heard that the Reef hobby ends after the bountiful lady howls out a number that goes viral on some platform.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_3511_2 2.jpg
    IMG_3511_2 2.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2326 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2326 (Medium).jpg
    90 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3685 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_3685 (Medium).jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3490_3 2.jpg
    IMG_3490_3 2.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 08669C81-1DC7-45E5-8818-12E19EBE1260.jpeg
    08669C81-1DC7-45E5-8818-12E19EBE1260.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 4E22A834-D799-4D29-AF0C-96B258FB7247.jpeg
    4E22A834-D799-4D29-AF0C-96B258FB7247.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 6
  • 9F3C4810-8171-4590-8246-AC426FD8B2FC.jpeg
    9F3C4810-8171-4590-8246-AC426FD8B2FC.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 5

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 51 43.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 8 6.8%
Back