Is It A Good Or Bad Idea To Buy USED RODI Unit (Pics included)?

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was gonna buy a 10" standard RODI Unit but it's like $300 brand new (CAD), but I seen on my local classifieds that someone has a 4 stage (or I think it's actually a 5 stage) for under $100 (CAD) but unsure of the brand (seems like it has no name), but the person said it's practically new. Is it sketchy buying one used, should I still buy it new? Why or why not?

01.png
02.jpg 03.jpg 04.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find out how much filter replacement will be and the availability. Otherwise should be ok.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find out how much filter replacement will be and the availability. Otherwise should be ok.
As far as I know being the 10" Standard, replacements are like what $7-10 for sediment and like $20-30 for Carbon, Membrane like $75 or something?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy it and make it into what I wanted. The housings are standard except for that DI stage and you could get a 10 inch cannister add on or replumb it into a standard 4 stage.

Do not use the DI stage mounted like that. It will trap an air bubble and the water will run under it and only use 1/2 the resin.
Mount it so the water rises threw it and pushes the air out.

If you making water for a small tank it will probably be fine like it is.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I put Draino down my drain and then aggressively used a plunger to try and clear a clog. Could that put Draino into my RODI system? I am about to purchase a NEW RODI system...
I dont see how. You RODI should be hooked up to your cold water line. Unless you have your waste water plumbed into the drain without an air gap and the line is very short

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see how. You RODI should be hooked up to your cold water line. Unless you have your waste water plumbed into the drain without an air gap and the line is very short
Waste water line is attached to the drain above the P trap (i am an amateur plumber). Hence, I am purchasing a NEW RODI unit. I am not staying it is a reality, but it is a possibility.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure a similar system would cost $300?

$100 sounds reasonable if a new one costs $300 but if the membrane needs replacing and the other filters you would not be that far away from the new price of a system.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy it and make it into what I wanted. The housings are standard except for that DI stage and you could get a 10 inch cannister add on or replumb it into a standard 4 stage.

Do not use the DI stage mounted like that. It will trap an air bubble and the water will run under it and only use 1/2 the resin.
Mount it so the water rises threw it and pushes the air out.

If you making water for a small tank it will probably be fine like it is.
Oh good point! But are the membrane housing all standard? I can't tell if this one has a smaller membrane.

And so should I just swap one of the ones labeled "carbon" for a DI instead or?

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure a similar system would cost $300?

$100 sounds reasonable if a new one costs $300 but if the membrane needs replacing and the other filters you would not be that far away from the new price of a system.
I think so? The $300 one (pictured below) has a pressure gauge though. But seems similar besides that, not sure?

1663636600606.png

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh good point! But are the membrane housing all standard? I can't tell if this one has a smaller membrane.

And so should I just swap one of the ones labeled "carbon" for a DI instead or?
It looks like the standard membrane housing to me. For $100 I would buy it. You can’t just replace carbon 2 with di without re doing some plumbing. If you just replaced it without replumbing you would be running the water through your di before the membrane.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like the standard membrane housing to me. For $100 I would buy it. You can’t just replace carbon 2 with di without re doing some plumbing. If you just replaced it without replumbing you would be running the water through your di before the membrane.
Yeah eh? And that would just require swapping the tube routing right?

I just wonder if I'd have to purchase all new filters right away (he said unused or barely used), if so that + a pressure gauge might get closer to the $300 lol

Billys_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a good deal to me. I also have the di mounted sideways and it uses up the entire di before I need to change it. I would also add a tds monitor to check the input and output water. Where abouts in Canada do you live? I'm from BC and the water is very clean and the filters will last forever. My tapwater is only 15ppm.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to change the DI cartridge, I'd pick up a single prefilled DI canister for about $42usd, pressure gauge, and inline TDS meter and run some water through it. See what comes out. A 5-stage filter kit is roughly $60usd and a 75gpd membrane is $40usd. Or get a package of DI resin and refill as it looks as if it is spent.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah eh? And that would just require swapping the tube routing right?

I just wonder if I'd have to purchase all new filters right away (he said unused or barely used), if so that + a pressure gauge might get closer to the $300 lol
Yes you would need to plumb it to where the out of carbon 1 goes into the feed side of the membrane, and then the new di (old carbon 2) would be after the membrane on the permeate (clean water) side.

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a good deal to me. I also have the di mounted sideways and it uses up the entire di before I need to change it. I would also add a tds monitor to check the input and output water. Where abouts in Canada do you live? I'm from BC and the water is very clean and the filters will last forever. My tapwater is only 15ppm.
I'm in Ontario. My Tap water is reading 70ppm with a handheld TDS meter, but my City Water says it's higher at the plant apparently which seems strange haha

OP
OP
JSkeleton

JSkeleton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to change the DI cartridge, I'd pick up a single prefilled DI canister for about $42usd, pressure gauge, and inline TDS meter and run some water through it. See what comes out. A 5-stage filter kit is roughly $60usd and a 75gpd membrane is $40usd. Or get a package of DI resin and refill as it looks as if it is spent.
At that point, maybe it's just better to buy the new one at $300 CAD? haha

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 72 51.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back