WVNeds's Tanks

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, all caught up.

Dang crab and the powerhead lol. I have unite a few evil crabs in my sump of the 180, since it is 100% Florida display fuge. Will have to keep that in mind when they get bigger lol.

And I do want some lionfish. Just no where to house them. Wonder how they would do in my macro grow out tank? It does get dosed ammonia, but shouldn’t be enough to hurt them. I have seen them in stagnate saltwater ponds and canals in Florida doing just fine. Was thinking about a fuzzy to be friends with my sargassum angler in the 32 biocube, but not sure that is big enough.

Other than that, looking good @WVNed

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, all caught up.

Dang crab and the powerhead lol. I have unite a few evil crabs in my sump of the 180, since it is 100% Florida display fuge. Will have to keep that in mind when they get bigger lol.

And I do want some lionfish. Just no where to house them. Wonder how they would do in my macro grow out tank? It does get dosed ammonia, but shouldn’t be enough to hurt them. I have seen them in stagnate saltwater ponds and canals in Florida doing just fine. Was thinking about a fuzzy to be friends with my sargassum angler in the 32 biocube, but not sure that is big enough.

Other than that, looking good @WVNed
I got multiple kinds of crabs on my rock from TBS. The stone crabs are at about 8 inches now. The hairy ones got to be about 2 inches and some little brown ones never got bigger than a 1/2 inch.
They all start out as tiny things and many change color as they grow so you really cant look at a tiny one and tell what it is. At least I cant.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got multiple kinds of crabs on my rock from TBS. The stone crabs are at about 8 inches now. The hairy ones got to be about 2 inches and some little brown ones never got bigger than a 1/2 inch.
They all start out as tiny things and many change color as they grow so you really cant look at a tiny one and tell what it is. At least I cant.
I know I have some stone crabs. They grew quick. I do have a few mangrove crabs also, but those guys got moved to the macro grow out and mangrove grow out tank. All the rest, no clue. They do not bother my 2 pinfish babies I just couldn’t use as bait lol. All crabs were in the rocks I brought back from my last trip down. More rock will be coming back in a month. I hang it from the dock on the inter coastal by ropes or a crab cage. Per Florida wildlife, this is legal and no lease required as we own the dock and have easement on the land below it. Also helps my brother is a wildlife officer, so can ask him questions about the legality of things.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly this place is going the way of another forum I was on. There is no place for people that successfully keep fish without jumping through the required peer pressured hoops. Doing it in front of them makes you an anachronism that is tolerated but mostly ignored. Your presence causes their world view to divide by zero and crash.

Lot's of posts full of angst, death and disease. Few posts on the beauty and fun of keeping a reef tank. Zero posts that
further my knowledge.

Experts where the vast majority of their replies to people boil down to content less posts.

And yet this isn't a criticism of this place. It is one of the society we live in. Information was in books. Then it was on the internet. Now it's gone.

New people have very little chance of having a trouble free life in this hobby when basic terms like cycle and live rock no longer have a simple defined meanings.

I kept marine tanks hoping to get something wonderful from the sea and getting live rock was like a grab bag.
Now those things are not wonders but potential pest or parasites. Someone posts a picture of a stomatella snail or spaghetti worm that gets identified later and they reply they already destroyed it.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used 8000mg of fluconazole followed by 2000mg two days later and left the skimmers and ozone off 72 hours
The GHA is mostly gone after about 10 days. I have 3 tuxedo urchins working on whats left.
IMG_3652-M.jpg

Yes it screws up the fuge but the ulva and chaeto will live and come back.

Ripclean is a very nice fish. I just watched him eat snail eggs off the glass.
IMG_3651-L.jpg

I wonder if the lions will be this chummy once they are grown. They remind me of a pack of dogs laying around together.
IMG_3650-L.jpg

I ordered a Tunze care magnet. I hope it is as good as advertised. I have a Flipper Max, Piranha and large Mag-Float
but still resort to sticking a razor blade in a slotted PVC pipe to clean the glass.

I have a Triton ICP test coming. I do one about every 6 months to make sure nothing is going off the rails.

300 more feeder guppies coming today for the lions.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the winner is
2021060413101456--4156883422432963471-IMG_3657_HEIC-L.jpg

Tunze care magnet strong
It is much easier to use that the other 2 and takes only 1 or 2 passes to clean. It also removed stuff the other 2 wouldn't touch that I have been scraping off with a blade I made out of a PVC pipe/utility razor knife blades. The Tunze cleaned right down to the sand. The others wont do that either.

This tank is 1/2 inch glass.

On sale at Premium Aquatics when I bought it.

Do not attempt. Professional aquarist on a closed tank. Some optional equipment shown.

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the winner is
2021060413101456--4156883422432963471-IMG_3657_HEIC-L.jpg

Tunze care magnet strong
It is much easier to use that the other 2 and takes only 1 or 2 passes to clean. It also removed stuff the other 2 wouldn't touch that I have been scraping off with a blade I made out of a PVC pipe/utility razor knife blades. The Tunze cleaned right down to the sand. The others wont do that either.

This tank is 1/2 inch glass.

On sale at Premium Aquatics when I bought it.

Do not attempt. Professional aquarist on a closed tank. Some optional equipment shown.
Thanks for the review. Was considering this or the flipper for the 7’ frag tank and nice to know it gets the job done on 1/2” glass.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the sump crabs molted again
IMG_3694-L.jpg

He is sitting on a salt bucket lid.
IMG_3695-S.jpg
It's a male.

So adding a tang to a tank with a large sailfin and a clown tang already. There is a tomini too.

I decided to move the tang from the 75 to the 240. I made a thread and we figured out it is an orange stripe and not a two spot. That is why it outgrew the tank.
IMG_3686-M.jpg

I put him straight in the 240 and the clown tang went off. Bad news.
So I caught him and put him in the acclimation box for the night. A little beat up. I made this acclimation box a while ago but putting fish in it and letting them float around has never done any good. So I changed it up a little.
IMG_3696-M.jpg

The next morning I sank the box to the bottom with a brick on top right in the middle of the tank. Right in their face. At noon I moved it to the right side of the tank where all the fish hang out. There was a great deal of fin flashing, tail slapping and swear words but no damage done thanks to the box. By 4pm it was over and they were ignoring him.
At 7 I fed the tank and released him.
IMG_3697-M.jpg

There was a bit of aggression from the sailfin but no actual touching.
This morning
Just another fish in the tank. It has been fine all day.
IMG_3698-L.jpg

My largest clownfish has disappeared. It was getting thinner and thinner and not eating. I have had it a couple of years.
I guess I will get another and I need a new fish for the 75 to draw out the CBB that is very timid. I havent decided on what. To get another butterfly like a longnose or raccoon, I may try the tang thing again.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the sump crabs molted again
IMG_3694-L.jpg

He is sitting on a salt bucket lid.
IMG_3695-S.jpg
It's a male.

So adding a tang to a tank with a large sailfin and a clown tang already. There is a tomini too.

I decided to move the tang from the 75 to the 240. I made a thread and we figured out it is an orange stripe and not a two spot. That is why it outgrew the tank.
IMG_3686-M.jpg

I put him straight in the 240 and the clown tang went off. Bad news.
So I caught him and put him in the acclimation box for the night. A little beat up. I made this acclimation box a while ago but putting fish in it and letting them float around has never done any good. So I changed it up a little.
IMG_3696-M.jpg

The next morning I sank the box to the bottom with a brick on top right in the middle of the tank. Right in their face. At noon I moved it to the right side of the tank where all the fish hang out. There was a great deal of fin flashing, tail slapping and swear words but no damage done thanks to the box. By 4pm it was over and they were ignoring him.
At 7 I fed the tank and released him.
IMG_3697-M.jpg

There was a bit of aggression from the sailfin but no actual touching.
This morning
Just another fish in the tank. It has been fine all day.
IMG_3698-L.jpg

My largest clownfish has disappeared. It was getting thinner and thinner and not eating. I have had it a couple of years.
I guess I will get another and I need a new fish for the 75 to draw out the CBB that is very timid. I havent decided on what. To get another butterfly like a longnose or raccoon, I may try the tang thing again.

im glad the tang addition worked out! Sorry about your clown. At least she had a good home until the end.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back