BeltedCoyote’s reboot: the birth of the leviathan

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I figured it’s about time to start my own build thread since I’ve been working on setting up a 120g DT since snagging it off of the FB marketplace this past August. As my title indicates, this has been a slow steady process and I think I’m still a month or two out from getting my tank cycling.

Anyway, I’m here to document this journey and learn what I can from the veterans here!

1933FE9C-DE4E-4608-B5D5-CEE9B03A8300.jpeg

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I’m sitting at work, feeling my stomach digest itself (left lunch at home like a champ), I figured I’d give everyone a run down on what I have collected so far and what I’m still missing.

as can be seen in the original picture I posted, I have the tank, stand, sump, skimmer, heater, fuge light, and return pump.

I also have:
-Fluval 3.0 marine light (which will eventually get a supplemental light source or outright upgraded eventually)
-Gyre 330
-120lbs of special grade live sand
-50lbs of marco rock.
-plenty of marine pure to supplement my rock and sand

What I need:
-possibly up to 25lbs more rock
-a lid
- a good way to get my plumbing set up
- some way to level my tank.

all of what I still need I should get in the upcoming weeks.

but yeah. That is where I’m at as of today

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as I’m sitting at work, feeling my stomach digest itself (left lunch at home like a champ), I figured I’d give everyone a run down on what I have collected so far and what I’m still missing.

as can be seen in the original picture I posted, I have the tank, stand, sump, skimmer, heater, fuge light, and return pump.

I also have:
-Fluval 3.0 marine light (which will eventually get a supplemental light source or outright upgraded eventually)
-Gyre 330
-120lbs of special grade live sand
-50lbs of marco rock.
-plenty of marine pure to supplement my rock and sand

What I need:
-possibly up to 25lbs more rock
-a lid
- a good way to get my plumbing set up
- some way to level my tank.

all of what I still need I should get in the upcoming weeks.

but yeah. That is where I’m at as of today
Is it the tank that needs leveling, or the stand??

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the tank that needs leveling, or the stand??

The tank. It came with a wood platform to put on top of the stand with a cut out for the overflow. It’s more or less level but the tank still rocks a bit. And the area that requires propping up is more than what I’m comfortable leaving to shims

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So small update. Got the rest of my rock. Total of 75lbs of marco rocks. Trying to decide between curing it or just skipping that step. Also have the proprietary cement marco makes. Innovative marine leveling mat has been acquired. Just need to get my RODI set up. But I found out it can be connected to a hose so I think I’m thinking I’ll do my first major diy and create something along the lines of a piece of plywood with some 2x4s to mount the RODI. That way when I finally move it’ll be easier to deal with (or so I hope).

Other than that it’s waiting to have cash in hand to have the service people from my LFS come out and help me move the tank to level it

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, here’s an update that’s a bit more detailed and has been a long time coming.

so, first of all, I think I’m potentially going to be getting my tank wet in about 6 months time (depends on when the better half and I finally move in together). I’ve decided to have a true mixed reef (select softies, lps, and even some sps).

this decision has led to several others. For one thing, thanks to Covid I’ve been forced to literally bring my build to a halt. Since then I’ve been doing a lot of reading and thinking. I am now approaching this as if it will be the only tank I ever keep. As such, I’ve also realized I would like this tank to last 10+ years (baring unforeseen calamities). So I’ve thought about how to make the ecosystem in my system as stable as possible with the limitations a tank sets on us.

How am I going to do that? Well, for one, I’m going to add at least 30lbs of true love rock to my system, along with the 75lbs of marco rock I have for my aquascape. In addition to live rock for added biodiversity of bacteria and the like, I also want to have at least 150g in the system over all.

I plan on buying at least one more 40b and using it as a “display fuge” for added water volume. Additionally I’m fairly certain I’m going to make a DIY sump out of yet another 40b (or maybe 65g if I’m crazy and can find one). Added water volume and more room for my skimmer, return pump etc. maybe I’ll be able to sell the pro-clear sump I have now, or maybe not. I definitely regret it’s purchase at this point, but live and learn, right?

I’m also looking into getting a calcium reactor because it seems like a more consistent way to keep Calc and dkh stable. So that’s another transfusion for my poor wallet.

Lastly, lights. I have a fluval marine 3.0 which I’ll probably run as a supplement or something. But it alone will not handle my planned stock list. So I’m going to be buying 3 noopsyche k7 pro 2s (possibly a 4th if needed) and figuring out how to mount them to my eurobraced tank.

beyond that I still need to acquire a lid for my DT and I’ll probably need to make a custom stand for my QT and display fuge. But hey, I’ve resolved to learn some rudimentary wood working, so here’s an excuse lol

oh, might as well share my stock list for corals right?

softies: zoas, pipe organs, some mushrooms

lps: euphylia, Favia/favites, Blastomussa, and possibly some others.

Sps: stylo, poci, Pavona, lepto. Maybe one day acros and montis but time will tell.

thanks for taking the time to read and follow along! It’s been a slow ride for sure. But more is coming in the next few weeks and months

Reefer of Oz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching. I really dig your pace and process. I have a feeling you will find great success and have a rewarding experience. There are many similarities in my first build project (build thread draft going, prolly post this weekend). We have found a valuable community here at R2R, glad to be on this journey with ya. Thanks for sharing, keep them updates coming!

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watching. I really dig your pace and process. I have a feeling you will find great success and have a rewarding experience. There are many similarities in my first build project (build thread draft going, prolly post this weekend). We have found a valuable community here at R2R, glad to be on this journey with ya. Thanks for sharing, keep them updates coming!

Thank you so very much for your kind words!

I do hope you prove to be right about my success level! lol. I’m trying to think of all the bases I need to cover before I actually “assemble” my build and I’m sure I’ll miss something here or there, but I’m doing what I can.

We are certainly fortunate for these forums. I don’t think I’d have even took the plunge to buy my tank if this wasn’t here!

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another small but exciting update. Just scored a used vectra M1 from an awesome seller on here.

super excited. I’ll be keeping my mag pump as an emergency backup

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update, why not?

went to my LFS (The reef Indy) to get some water for a change with my 40b and some other things. (Bought a Hat and a t-shirt to go with the hoody I got from them last winter. I figure what better way to support an awesome LFS that rock some swag) anyway, I went ahead and had them order me another 40b for my planned display fuge.

so between that, the noopsyches I’ve got coming, and the used vectra...I’m getting really really excited. I think at this point the only other gear I’ll be picking up is two small pumps to plump the display fuge and eventually a Ca reactor. Oh, and a custom cover for my DT.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
will catch up in time :rolleyes: :) i see one prob qt over fuge..too close to display;) just a thought:cool:

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.0%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 36 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 38 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 107 50.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.4%
Back