BeltedCoyote’s reboot: the birth of the leviathan

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes cross contaminating,no matter how careful ,think too close ,and being above fuge connected to dt ,not good

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes cross contaminating,no matter how careful ,think too close ,and being above fuge connected to dt ,not good

Ah, I hadn’t even thought of that! Back to the drawing board. I’m guessing having the QT below the fuge wouldn’t be much better? I was kind of worried about having a potential siphon created by having the fuge higher than my sump. But maybe that’s not really such a concern?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i would not go that route think all is good,just move qt to different area

Reefer of Oz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you want your return pump in the far right chamber, on the down flow side of bubble trap. The fuge pumps could be any where, but I would keep the return line from fuge on the up flow side of bubble trap. Lookin good otherwise

Edit: If you can move your baffles, you could in theory do a 2 chamber sump.

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you want your return pump in the far right chamber, on the down flow side of bubble trap. The fuge pumps could be any where, but I would keep the return line from fuge on the up flow side of bubble trap. Lookin good otherwise

Edit: If you can move your baffles, you could in theory do a 2 chamber sump.

Unfortunately I’m not able to do anything with the baffles. It’s a store bought sump (pro-clear I believe?). I’m half tempted to scrap it and just diy another sump out of a 40b. But yeah..the pro clear wasn’t cheap.

I’ll switch the return to the far right. And I can certainly plumb the fuge return into the start of the bubble trap. Thanks for the input!

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update: I gots my bright glowy things!!!
E59EA579-3800-4642-9235-D79A377984D0.jpeg
912913A8-941A-4165-93DE-BF4A64ECF7E3.jpeg

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, another picture-less update.

but this ones pretty big for me at least.

I’ve wanted to have a truly mixed reef tank (sps, lps and softies). I’ve changed my way of thinking about my build and am going for stability and longevity. I have known I would need to dose, but have been a bit intimidated because it’s always seemed like shooting for a target you don’t really see.

so I’ve been looking into the various “methods” out there: Triton, Zeovit, etc.

And as it happens, I’ve found the method I’m going to run. I stumbled on the DSR thread and while I’m no chemist, it makes sense. And is really what I’ve wanted the more I’ve learned about our hobby.

the EZ DSR system has actually just become available here in the US. And it’s basically the lazy or chemistry challenged version of @glennf s original method. So that’s what I’m going to be running. the system eliminates the need for water changes from what I understand, which is awesome. But even if that wasn’t the case, the stability it offers...yeah I want that

Reefer of Oz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dig it. As much as I am adverse to the idea of dosing or “chasing numbers”, I also believe minimal water changes are possible or unnecessary with the right system. The more I learn the more somewhere with the philosophies of @Paul B and @glennf there is a balance. Again, thank you for your insight as I dive into this dynamic and engrossing habit...err, hobby!

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dig it. As much as I am adverse to the idea of dosing or “chasing numbers”, I also believe minimal water changes are possible or unnecessary with the right system. The more I learn the more somewhere with the philosophies of @Paul B and @glennf there is a balance. Again, thank you for your insight as I dive into this dynamic and engrossing habit...err, hobby!

Hey man, I’m glad my bumbling helps others. I don’t have any idea what I’m doing. As far chasing numbers goes, that’s why @glennf ’s system appeals. It gives you a target and allows you to find the range that suits your system. So idk, not truly chasing numbers. So I’m in. Maybe it won’t work. There’s enough anecdotal evidence to make me hopeful, but it sounds good to me so I’m going to try it. But whatever happens I’m going to document it for others

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
568B56CE-2B89-413D-803D-C12202050F9A.png

so the above picture is the room my tank will be going in, in our new house. Basically replace the tv with tank. There are two outlets in either side, and the floor is a concrete slab beneath the laminate. Someone please convince me that only a 4ft tank would fito_O

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is just me having no self control. But a planet aquarium 96” 240 is not nearly as much as I thought. And it occurs to me that it might be just as expensive to have my LFS’s service department help my move my current tank and stand to the new house and help set it up.....

I mean..I need to figure out exact costs but....if it’s less expensive to just go with the custom...and my better half didn’t immediately say no...just that I should look into it.

what am I doing with my build?! Lol

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp. I’m going to go for a 240g. So I’ll make a new build thread and like this one when the time comes.

but here’s my thought process. I’ve wanted a bigger tank since I decided to get into this hobby. Didn’t go for a bigger tank because my space was limited. But my lady and I are buying the house we’re going to live in for the next 10 or more years, and as she is completely okay with me getting an obscenely large tank and putting it in our house (on the first floor which is a concrete slab), I’m just going to go for it. It’s going to take a while longer, but that’s fine. I want to do things as close to right the first time. Which includes going for my dream tank the first time I guess lol

I’m excited. I’m still going to run DSR EZ dosing (still want to have stability from the get go), and I think I’ll end up using more live rock than In just a fuge. It’s going to take a while to get everything and then set it up, but I’ll share every step of the way. And honestly, the extra time for the set up gives me even more time to learn. Thanks for everyone who has followed my first attempt at a build. I truly appreciate it!

OP
OP
BeltedCoyote

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve given more thought to stocking as far as fish go. Since I’m going to have at least 240g, or I might just bump the dimensions to 96x30x24 which would make it 300g. We’ll see if I can find anything used. If not I’ll be looking at a custom order. Was thinking planet aquarium because they don’t seem quite as expensive as others but we’ll see.

if anyone has recommendations, please share.

But anyway, back to the fish. I’d never really given any thought to tangs beyond a tomini because I never expected to be given the go ahead for a tank large enough to house any other tangs. But seeing as I’m committed to the insane choice of a 240g or larger volume for my first reef....

Here’s my list:
1. Blonde Naso: love the look of these guys and after reading all of the tang aggression thread I’d like to have this guy be the “tank boss” which should help keep the other tangs in check.
2. PBT: beautiful monsters. This one would be the last addition to my tank and much smaller than the Naso.
3. Zebrasoma of some sort. Thinking scopas because I already am planning on having a one spot fox face for yellow. Also they don’t cost an arm like some of the other zebrasomas
4. White cheeked tang: very elegant and while reminiscent of an Achilles, not nearly as nasty or fragile.
5. Tomini tang: what can I say? Love these little guys.

beyond the five tangs above, the foxface, and my two Occ clowns, I’m not sure what the rest of my fish list will include

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back