Is it ich? or something else?

aswa1111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it ich? or something else?

I bought a Goldrim tang nearly two weeks ago. After a few days, two spots appeared on his head but it wasn't really white more like a translucent raised bump. I know these guys are ich magnets so I thought it best to keep my eyes on him. I don't have much experience with diseases other than lymphocystis, my angel fish and most of my butterflies had lymphocystis before. Yesterday morning I noticed several white spots on my Purple tang and by the afternoon white spots also appeared on my juvenile French angelfish. All the spots looked slightly raised. What is weird is that by the afternoon most of the spots were gone from the Purple tang and by the morning both fishes had no more white spots.

Is that normal for ich to appear and drop that quickly? Or is it something else? I started using Polyplab reefsafe medic, I know it's only peroxide but I thought I would give it a try. Water parameters are good. Unfortunately, my UV sterilizer stopped working 2 days ago. That's my luck, a new bulb is on the way.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
possible, but not much in terms of count.
I have a BT that gets a few spots every 9 months or so, but it never takes hold and just disappears.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the pictures. The spots are too small to be lymphocystis - and too big to be related to velvet - Thus Cryptocaryon.

Did you QT your fish? If not - the recommendation would be - to remove all of your fish to another tank - treat with copper/prazipro - per the link at the top of the page. It is 'normal' whatever normal means - for ich to come and go quickly.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed - both sand and ich trophonts can cause white spots that come and go. The purple tang looks like it could have ich though.

Jay

OP
OP
A

aswa1111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pictures. The spots are too small to be lymphocystis - and too big to be related to velvet - Thus Cryptocaryon.

Did you QT your fish? If not - the recommendation would be - to remove all of your fish to another tank - treat with copper/prazipro - per the link at the top of the page. It is 'normal' whatever normal means - for ich to come and go quickly.

No, I didn't qt. All of my fish come from the same lfs and they copper treat every fish as far as I'm aware.

PS sand can also appear to do this - i.e. attach and drop

Now you mention sand I just noticed there are fewer spots on the second picture compared to the first. This is strange because those pictures were taken only 1-2 minutes apart. I think the best thing I can do now is to keep monitoring it and prepare for the worst.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back