Is my Coral Banded Shrimp a fish killer?

SuperDave531

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost many a critter to my coral banded shrimp over the years, several green chromis, 1 juvi clown, handful of peppermint shrimps, lyretail anthias, skunk cleaner, yellow watchman goby, scooter blenny... It usually happens between 1-3 days during acclimation while everyone is sleeping. I've though of getting rid of him many times, but I haven't the heart to give him away because he's the oldest living critter I have from my very first setup.

OP
OP
Lemony Lemons

Lemony Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok.. just an update. since my cardinals became lunch, I figured I'd buy a faster, bigger, reef safe - so I went with a kole yellow eye tang (don't worry tang police, he's in a 110 with 4 other smaller fish).
Anyway, he's awesome, I acclimate him after lights out and he's exploring and stuff and then BAM I see my cbs lunge out and attempt to grab him!

Funny thing is , he's missing an arm - I'm guessing he ****** off my starry blenny. Either way, this stupid shrimp (now missing an arm) is definitely actively hunting my fish!

I wish I was video taping it.. just sitting here, having a drink in front of my tank, lights off, enjoying the view .. and Bob (the killer cbs) releases himself from the rock and lands on my new kole!! Kole got away, shrimp receded.

He's getting removed. Even with 1 claw.

rvs2112

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the only one at all - after my 'googling' I was kind of shocked at the amount of people who have witnessed their cbs snatched up a small and sometimes bigger fish! Poor unsuspecting guys lol
I’ve lost 3 fish now to my CBS. Took awhile to tell what was going on. He’s outta there.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 131 74.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back