Is my hydrometer working

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought a hydrometer and I tested my water in my tank and the salinity is 1.022 its pretty low so that wasn’t great and then i was going to put saltwater in the ato so I could get it back to the salinity I want and I decided to test the store Brought saltwater and the salinity was at 1.021 I’m not sure if the hydrometer is bad or my saltwater is bad and should I try and raise the salinity or nota at.

RWhitt907

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I brought a hydrometer and I tested my water in my tank and the salinity is 1.022 its pretty low so that wasn’t great and then i was going to put saltwater in the ato so I could get it back to the salinity I want and I decided to test the store Brought saltwater and the salinity was at 1.021 I’m not sure if the hydrometer is bad or my saltwater is bad and should I try and raise the salinity or nota at.
Don't add salt to your ATO, you can raise your salinity with water changes, and I would use a refractometer to test it.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand Hydrometer do you have?

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydrometer is a cheap one on Amazon it’s brand is sea level
If you're planning on keeping coral you can't use a cheap hydrometer.

If the tank is fish only you can probably just trust that the LFS knows what they are doing. Ask them what the salinity of the water they supply is and keep the hydrometer reading constant.

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're planning on keeping coral you can't use a cheap hydrometer.

If the tank is fish only you can probably just trust that the LFS knows what they are doing. Ask them what the salinity of the water they supply is and keep the hydrometer reading constant.
It has corals in it too how much do refractometers usually cost I don’t want to be spending to much

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a better tester before you make changes in your tank. Especially if the corals look happy then don't change anything.

But definitely need good accurate testers going forward, not only for salinity but for other parameters as well. It is money well spent.

OP
OP
Benji k

Benji k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a better tester before you make changes in your tank. Especially if the corals look happy then don't change anything.

But definitely need good accurate testers going forward, not only for salinity but for other parameters as well. It is money well spent.
I will definitely get one what’s the usual prices for refractometers

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bough one from Amazon for 20 bucks or so with shipping. Just make sure you get some Calibration fluid for 35PPT saltwater works great but they will drift and need to be recalibrated easy to do follow instructions that come with it.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get a cheaper one on Amazon

Yes. Just make sure to get refractometer calibration solution. Before you do anything though, I would get (or make) some calibration solution for your hygrometer. It’s possible your local stores water is 1.021. Lots of stores keep their tanks at lower salinity and if you don’t specifically ask they don’t tell you.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get a cheaper one on Amazon
Think of it like this: think of all the money you spent on your tank, salt, lights, fish, corals, that was a lot of money. Do you really want to rely on a cheap $20 tool to protect your thousand dollar investment?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back