Is my xenia dying???

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you man. I take it that step further. I love everything from the worms and bugs to plants corals. there's nothing about this hobby that I don't love. too cool

Pretty much sums it up for me, in the hobby for a looooooong time.

Wiz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah is that pulsing Xenia? I love mine. I hear it gets out of control fast but hasn't happened to me. I have had my anthelia take over throughout the years though
I believe Jgons pic and my first Pics are pom pom xenia. that last pic I put on is pulsing.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long? Do you have a tank thread I can't seem to find one for you

In 1987 I got my first real reef tank, but I was ordering Sea Horses out of comic books and off the back of cereal box in the 70's, so a long time. Hmmm I thought I had a thread here. I'll check it out and tag it to your profile if I find it. :)

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. I was finally able to upload some pictures. This is what it looked like four days ago. And now my xenia situation.

uploadfromtaptalk1430051989050.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430052002455.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430052014349.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430052027420.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430052038798.jpg

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why the last two came out sideways.

jabeuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... When I moved my xenia to a new tank it was fine the first few days then started to shrivel up. Looked much worse than in your first picture, and I was just able to call it dead and throw it away. I was concerned about it rotting in the tank but opted to leave it in. I left for probably a month and somehow it recovered all on its own. It's looking way better and fuller than ever before :)

So I'd say just let it be for a while longer. I've read somewhere thats xenia are hardy, but really sensitive to changes. When mine are exposed to air for even a second, they'll shrivel up for a day but eventually bounce back.

Vividgraphx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a major die off once. Now that it grows on and in everything I wish it never came back. I bet the day comes when you wish you never got it. I'd pull it out now. I prohibits other corals from growing and blocks light to zoas and palys. it becomes a major pain in the but. One good thing about it is that you can sometimes find pet stores that will buy frags or trade for other corals. I do it all the time. 12 good frags will get me like $50 to $60.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine love iodine. I dose it once a week, use Lugol's solution. 75 gallon tank with sump uses 3-4 drops.

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a major die off once. Now that it grows on and in everything I wish it never came back. I bet the day comes when you wish you never got it. I'd pull it out now. I prohibits other corals from growing and blocks light to zoas and palys. it becomes a major pain in the but. One good thing about it is that you can sometimes find pet stores that will buy frags or trade for other corals. I do it all the time. 12 good frags will get me like $50 to $60.
Till this day it still looks crappy. It hasn't improved since. I don't think it's coming back. Haha.

OP
OP
JGon

JGon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine love iodine. I dose it once a week, use Lugol's solution. 75 gallon tank with sump uses 3-4 drops.
I just started dosing the same thing! Haha. Pretty recently actually. Only three doses so far. My tank is a 20g long so it only takes a drop a week.

RobReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 1987 I got my first real reef tank, but I was ordering Sea Horses out of comic books and off the back of cereal box in the 70's, so a long time. Hmmm I thought I had a thread here. I'll check it out and tag it to your profile if I find it. :)

I used to do the same thing, lol. I think the place was called Florida Aqua Farms.

As for the Xenia, it is VERY sensitive to alkalinity swings and especially alkalinity below 6. It will melt and die with a constant low alkalinity.

Ronald Brown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a problem with my pulsing xenia at the moment. It looks will owed and not all of it is pulsing. Some of it looks like it has brown stuff holding the (fingers) together. It hasn't looked to happy lately. I have only had it for a week or so and all my perimeters are really good so I am not sure what's going on with them.

RobReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a problem with my pulsing xenia at the moment. It looks will owed and not all of it is pulsing. Some of it looks like it has brown stuff holding the (fingers) together. It hasn't looked to happy lately. I have only had it for a week or so and all my perimeters are really good so I am not sure what's going on with them.

Do you have a picture?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back