Is Taking Care of a Young(Small) Fish That Will Grow Too Big for Your Aquarium a Common Practice?

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then just sell/free/give them once they become big.

Hello guys. Was watching lots of reef tank videos, and I came across one where the Youtuber said something like "when it grows too big, dont hesitate to turn him to your local fish shop", and one of the guys in a local FB group said that once a fish is starting to become big for his tank, he releases them to the sea, and get another juvenile one(cuz he likes that breed a lot).

Just wondering if this is normal and how do most in the hobby see this?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's done way too often in my opinion. From what I've seen over the years many fish are not rehomed soon enough and/or are not easily rehomed because of the scarcity of tanks sutible for placing them. As far as releasing back into the wild that has a couple issues. First is the potential introduction of of something that can disrupt the local ecosystem (The aquarium adapted Calurpa taxifolia invasion in the meditranian and lion fish in the caribean are two prime examples). The second, even if a fish is released back into it's native waters fish it's highly unlikely a specimen will have the life skills to find food or establish a teritory or fit into it's native social structure, strikes me as inhumane.

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a huge lion fish at my LFS that was surrendered for getting too big... he's been there a few weeks now because not that many people have tanks big enough (and those who do probably already know what fish they're planning to get!) It's not a sure solution.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then just sell/free/give them once they become big.

Hello guys. Was watching lots of reef tank videos, and I came across one where the Youtuber said something like "when it grows too big, dont hesitate to turn him to your local fish shop", and one of the guys in a local FB group said that once a fish is starting to become big for his tank, he releases them to the sea, and get another juvenile one(cuz he likes that breed a lot).

Just wondering if this is normal and how do most in the hobby see this?

I don't know how common it is (I've never done or seen a systemic survey done on the practice), but I consider it terribly irresponsible. The only time I think it's acceptable is when you already have concrete plans to upgrade your tank (as in, you've already spent the money and it's just a matter of time). Otherwise... we're taking these animals into our care. We shouldn't bring them into our care when we know we can't provide a lifelong home for them.

And don't even get me started on releasing an animal into the wild. At best you've just killed it; the chance that any particular species being released is close to its native waters is vanishingly small, and in all likelihood it'll be dead within a day. At worst, you're introducing an invasive species that can eventually have a devastating impact on the local ecosystem.

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fell into this category unintentionally... LFS sold me a young small Blue Hippo and said it would be fine for years in my 54g. At the time I did not know any better. I had to rehome him after only five months.

OP
OP
BadObsession

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your POV guys. Not surprised I guess that hardcore reefers(meaning people here) are against it, while many others don't mind.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 6.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 25 25.8%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 48 49.5%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.0%
Back