Is the guy in Marin the 1 of lfs I go to dumb?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because a LFS does not know everything does not mean that I should not buy animals from them. I just don't depend on LFS for information. I buy the animal if it is healthy (or have a problem that I can treat) and if I think the price that is fair, and if I don't think the LFS have practice that is grossly bad for the hobby.
100% afree with you here. I go to a few LFS's that think they are know it alls, but their coral all look like you know what. Their fish on the other hand, are super healthy and eating, so I only go there to buy fish, and listen to them tell me how I do everything wrong.

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its pretty rare to find an lfs with staff that are knowledgeable, wont lie to make a sale, and also explain things in a way not condescending way that inexperienced people will understand. Just like theres a lot of forums to talk about fish but most of them arent good sources for information or are very biased toward a particular method.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s a nps and sps keeper.
Whatever. Apparently, you did not think your LFS knows every much, which result in this thread.
We should not depend on LFS for information (at least all the information). No one knows everything, a lot of us are expert in something. Most LFS will know about the stuff they sell or else they will go out of business. Just because they know about something does not mean they will tell their customers. If they have a shipment of frozen fish food got thaw out, they just refreeze it and sell it to their customer rather than throw out 500.00 worth of fish food to the trash. It is up to the customers to see, and smell that the fish food smells bad and not feed it to sensitive animals like anemones. This got to happen a lot, and result in a lot of dead anemones. That is why I don't feed fish food to my anemones. Seafood for human consumption only. It also a lot cheaper.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever. Apparently, you did not think your LFS knows every much, which result in this thread.
We should not depend on LFS for information (at least all the information). No one knows everything, a lot of us are expert in something. Most LFS will know about the stuff they sell or else they will go out of business. Just because they know about something does not mean they will tell their customers. If they have a shipment of frozen fish food got thaw out, they just refreeze it and sell it to their customer rather than throw out 500.00 worth of fish food to the trash. It is up to the customers to see, and smell that the fish food smells bad and not feed it to sensitive animals like anemones. This got to happen a lot, and result in a lot of dead anemones. That is why I don't feed fish food to my anemones. Seafood for human consumption only. It also a lot cheaper.
As usual, Orion is completely correct.

Before the internet, people could use the excuse that info is hard to find. Those reef books were $80 each and often too scientific.

With the internet, your LFS should no longer be a main aspect of your education imo. LFS employees will be wildly bias in several ways, including anecdotal experience and sales pressure.

OP is just way out of line here imo. Been in the hobby a month and already telling SPS keepers and shop owners they are “dumb”.

It’s just over confident and unhinged behaviour, and this is a very unforgiving hobby for people who have this mindset.

OP
OP
R

reef guy 56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As usual, Orion is completely correct.

Before the internet, people could use the excuse that info is hard to find. Those reef books were $80 each and often too scientific.

With the internet, your LFS should no longer be a main aspect of your education imo. LFS employees will be wildly bias in several ways, including anecdotal experience and sales pressure.

OP is just way out of line here imo. Been in the hobby a month and already telling SPS keepers and shop owners they are “dumb”.

It’s just over confident and unhinged behaviour, and this is a very unforgiving hobby for people who have this mindset.

All I wanted to know is if I should listen to his advice also, I read a few SPS are easier than some LPS. He said that if you use rpm Red Sea and noyos salt mix you are dumb.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reef guy 56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 months of research on reef keeping. I have been reading about coral.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

reef guy 56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at the tank the person has if possible.
I don't know about OPs intentions. I do know that research and web search are 2 different things. You can Google just about anything and find conflicting data.

I don't know how new hobbyists figure out what and who to believe.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back