Is there a way to nuke a tank of aiptasia?

Stomatopods17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any soft corals. Just clams, SPS and anemones. My anemones should be fine with their clowns. Right now, Petco in Corpus has a lot of file fish. Getting fishes here is not easy. I just have to make do what what I see. My aiptasia problem is second to none. For too long I have neglected the tank
IMG_1626.jpeg
Is that Aiptasia or yellow polyps?

EdIt: wow, that is aiptasia..

numsie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Aptasia- You cant beat a Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small. I will note that a couple of persons who got the blue had their kleini nip zoa. if so- easy sell, or place in sump as aptasia have likely made it down there already

1669774874713.png

For Aptasia- You cant beat a Kleini Butterfly BUT must be the bluehead- NOT the yellow version. The yellow will go after coral too but bluehead as pictured will eat aptasia like candy, then eat all dry and frozen food offered, colorful, friendly and stays small. I will note that a couple of persons who got the blue had their kleini nip zoa. if so- easy sell, or place in sump as aptasia have likely made it down there already

1669774874713.png
Hi, do you find it reef safe, I have read no. Thanks in advance.

Cali9dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with the Klein’s butterfly. They make short work of aiptasia !! I have mine in a mixed reef…so far it hasn’t eaten anything else except for nuisance purple clove polyps which I have been trying to get rid of for 7 years ! I couldn’t be happier !!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Experience as I have two. The one in the dump did pick at zoa but has my sump also free of aptasia

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would just take all of the rock out and leave it in the sun for about 2 weeks after pouring boiling water over them in a bucket after a couple of weeks put the rocks back in with 1 live rock soon you will have a tank of live rock again with no aiptasia . DONT USE COPPER
and the pour petrol and set the rocks on fire for 2 hours..

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any soft corals. Just clams, SPS and anemones. My anemones should be fine with their clowns. Right now, Petco in Corpus has a lot of file fish. Getting fishes here is not easy. I just have to make do what what I see. My aiptasia problem is second to none. For too long I have neglected the tank
IMG_1626.jpeg
wow!

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of CBB that are a pair of Aiptasia killing machine ( in my QT system). I will have to get my PBT and Purple tangs out of the tank until the CBB established before return them to the tank.
IMG_2312.jpeg

IMG_2311.jpeg

IMG_2273.jpeg
IMG_1999.jpeg

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a pair of CBB that are a pair of Aiptasia killing machine ( in my QT system). I will have to get my PBT and Purple tangs out of the tank until the CBB established before return them to the tank.
IMG_2312.jpeg

IMG_2311.jpeg

IMG_2273.jpeg
IMG_1999.jpeg
Those are such pretty fish. I've only tried once, and the thing must have starved to death.

No luck on finding a Klein?

Asagi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im thinking about adding one of these kleins, they are pretty fish. Ill name him calvin and when he eventually starts nipping at everything i love I'll murder him.

Anyone know of a good online fish source?

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 30 41.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 48.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back