Is this Aiptasia on my hammer?

shark8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I just noticed that my hammer and frogspawn has been acting weird since yesterday. Are these Aiptasia growing out of it? If so, should I take it out and dip it with CoralRX?

These two are the only two with it that I noticed. No recent outbreak. My nitrate did drop from 10 to roughly 0 since removing 3 fishes. Just added 3 new fishes today so I’m expecting nitrate to be around 7-10 soon.

Nitrate : 0
Phosphate :0.02
Salinity : 35Ppt
Alk: 8.3
Calcium: 425
Mag: 1400
PH: 8:.3

Thanks,

IMG_6745.jpeg IMG_6744.jpeg

OP
OP
S

shark8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for help identifying it. Times for a peppermint shrimp I guess

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fir one or two, I would skip peppermint especially if you get a non-worker who will turn on zoa and other softies. Keep it simple:
Using a syringe or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have berghia nudibranchs and peppermints in my tank right now. Both working on aptasia. You could take them out and scrap them off if they are the only ones you see. Peppermints could possibly get bored and nip at corals and bergia are expensive and only really for bad outbreaks. My peppermints weren't working fast enough to keep up with the aptasia so I had to do both. I would suggest taking them out and trying to remove the aptasia first. Then maybe get a peppermint. I find peppermints work well in groups of 2 or 3 of they work at all. Sometimes when you just have one he turns into a pet shrimp instead of a worker.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say that's good for the time being, especially to get it off the hammer, but aiptasia, being the spawn of hell it is, will probably pop back up later down the road. Then I'd recommend bergia nudibranchs
Fir one or two, I would skip peppermint especially if you get a non-worker who will turn on zoa and other softies. Keep it simple:
Using a syringe or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

OP
OP
S

shark8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Kalkwasser powder mixed for now. I only see it on the hammer right now. Hopefully it will get rid of it before it gets too infested. Thanks All.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'd say that's good for the time being, especially to get it off the hammer, but aiptasia, being the spawn of hell it is, will probably pop back up later down the road. Then I'd recommend bergia nudibranchs
Ive had as many have had - success with this method. You Must get it into the center core

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What reefkeepers said! Also be very sure if you do get a peppermint shrimp that it really is that! There are several close relatives, that are not reef safe.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back