Is this all that our hobby has to offer?

alishahlakhani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,
Sometime after owning a reef tank for a year or so I realised that I'm hungry for more but I don't just want to expand my existing aquarium into a bigger one. I am looking for different progression paths this hobby has. I managed to compile the list of all these paths. What do you guys think? did i miss anything? Feel free to add. I'm thinking of putting it out there in podcast format for beginner and experienced reefers or anyone who is willing to expand their hobby skillset.

For coral enthusiasts
  • Softies coral tank
  • LPS coral tank
  • Mixed coral tank
  • Speciality tanks
    • Xenia Fuge,
    • Macro Algae tank,
    • Clownfish harem & Anemone tank
  • SPS coral tank
  • NPS coral tank

For Fish enthusiasts
  • FOWLR - Fish Only With Live Rock
  • Species only tank
    • Sea horses tank
    • Saltwater sting rays
  • Predator tanks
    • Moray eel
    • Lionfish

Side gigs in this hobby
  • Fragging and selling,
  • Fish and corals breeding
  • ULN (Ultra low nutrients)
  • Moving to freshwater aquarium hobby.

Help is highly appreciated. I would also love some support for my podcast and Instagram channel.
If you resonate with the content I'm putting out there then I would love some support <3 <3

KeepReefin | Ali Shah Lakhani

24F4A372-D100-4066-AFA3-30BF2D76F410.JPG

Deschutes541

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breeding seems interesting to me.

I've also enjoyed starting to put more effort into feeding beside just a pinch of pellets. I've started feeding frozen food, spirulina powder and baby brine shrimp. The fish seem to be appreciating it. It's not much more work and it's a fun extension of the hobby. I'd also be interested in making my own frozen food one day.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breeding... in small quantities, it's rarely profitable, but can be a serious upgrade to the hobby.

Biotope tanks of myriad types. I've always wanted to do a mangrove tank. In my mind, a 30" x 30" tank, 16" tall or so. 5" or so of fine sand, very little rock... grow out a couple red mangroves to reasonable size. Various small fishes appropriate to the environment, perhaps some soft corals, gorgonians and such. Could be very cool.

Non-glass box type tanks. One of these days, i'm going to pick up a big molded plastic stock tank, several hundred gallons, and do a top view only reef. Found a 9' round tank, 28" tall, about a thousand gallons. Only $350. Larger fishes, angels, tangs, triggers... Fast growing corals. Build it out right, it could be very cool. Maybe turn a 30g barrel into a big Carlson surge bucket :D

Uncommon animals: You mentioned Seahorses, great, but there's tons of interesting single species type tanks that can be done. Dwarf Cuttlefish have long been on my radar (Sepia Bandensis). Hatch 'em from eggs, try to breed the next generation. Seriously cool critters.

hds4216

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though I don't think they're suited to captivity, many keep cephalopods like octopus. There's also a region specific reef tank, ie trying to create a natural looking reef using only the fish/coral found in the region you're trying to replicate - like a Hawaiian biome or a Carribean biome.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like invertebrates even better than fish. There are dozens of types of shrimp and crabs that can be kept with fish with little to no care.

OK, Maybe not that one. :rolleyes:

Pny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No its not all... :)

No path for "Coldwater Marine Aquarium"? ...or technology entusiast such as "DIY technology" or "tank automation". Nano reefs? or Marine photography? Macro algae?

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breeding... in small quantities, it's rarely profitable, but can be a serious upgrade to the hobby.

Biotope tanks of myriad types. I've always wanted to do a mangrove tank. In my mind, a 30" x 30" tank, 16" tall or so. 5" or so of fine sand, very little rock... grow out a couple red mangroves to reasonable size. Various small fishes appropriate to the environment, perhaps some soft corals, gorgonians and such. Could be very cool.

Non-glass box type tanks. One of these days, i'm going to pick up a big molded plastic stock tank, several hundred gallons, and do a top view only reef. Found a 9' round tank, 28" tall, about a thousand gallons. Only $350. Larger fishes, angels, tangs, triggers... Fast growing corals. Build it out right, it could be very cool. Maybe turn a 30g barrel into a big Carlson surge bucket :D

Uncommon animals: You mentioned Seahorses, great, but there's tons of interesting single species type tanks that can be done. Dwarf Cuttlefish have long been on my radar (Sepia Bandensis). Hatch 'em from eggs, try to breed the next generation. Seriously cool critters.

We dream the same...I'll add to this.

Mangrove/island tank/sea grass zone connected to the top down predator tank all enclosed in a greenhouse with tropical plants, maybe a few lizards running around.

That would make the winters more bearable.

Also ocean specific tanks, red sea, indo, carribean, northern cold water.

Forgot to add brackish.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stingrays in reef? Are they even reef safe? This hobby never fails to surprise.

+Shark tanks, great idea. I've added that now :)
I saw someone on instagram who had on in their reef, and I too was surprised so I asked them how they did it. They didnt know what species it was though.
@supremereefs on instagram, they have it on there go check it out :)

Back