Is this an anemone?

AquaJunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came as a hitchhiker on some live rock i bought. It has been moving around the tank all day, does anyone know why its moving so much? Thanks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360689723.889336.jpg

matty0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a nudibranch, probably a predator of whatever coral it came in on. What coral do you have that looks like it? They tend to look like what they eat.

OP
OP
AquaJunkie

AquaJunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the rock i bought them on. Theres 3 in the tank

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360690469.058823.jpg

Are they bad for corals? I dont have none in the tank at the moment but plan on in the future. Also how do i get rid of them? My tank is still going though a cycle (day 12), wouldnt that of killed them off

that novice guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a nudabrach will eat coral but depends on what kind and that's a very nice Coraline color very Nice deep purple

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some nudis eat coral and some dont, I am not able to tell you of that one will or will not. Some eat algae as well.

matty0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might last through the cycle but they will eventually starve if they don't have their food source in the tank. Pull them out by hand or with tweezers.

You can try here for an ID but without any idea of species it could take a while:
The Sea Slug Forum - Species List

Edit: After looking further, is that purple on the rock a closed up Green star polyp mat? I think what you have is GSP eating nudie's. Try to google GSP eating nudibranch and sea if that is a match?

Last edited:

fity2pounder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a nudibranch to me too. what is that purple stuff on the rock? looks to fluffy/soft to be coraline algae. are you sure the nudibranches aren't eating that purple stuff?

OP
OP
AquaJunkie

AquaJunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might last through the cycle but they will eventually starve if they don't have their food source in the tank. Pull them out by hand or with tweezers.

You can try here for an ID but without any idea of species it could take a while:

Edit: After looking further, is that purple on the rock a closed up Green star polyp mat? I think what you have is GSP eating nudie's. Try to google GSP eating nudibranch and sea if that is a match?

Thanks for the help everyone. I googled gsp eating nudibranch and the pics looks exactly like mine. Now you mention it i did notice a few polyps on there when i first got it but iv not seen them in awhile.

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really resembles Montipora eating Nudibranch. All Nudibranchs are carnivorous and UNWANTED, unless they're specifically Berghia and used to eat Aiptasia. That particular one is not a Berghia.

Ssterquel0922

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was thinking GSP as well… and maybe even a closed Zoa or two as well?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 66 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back