Is this zoa pox?

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m about 10 months into my first reef tank. I started a small zoa garden about 6 months ago that’s been doing great. It’s grown and spread quite a bit. Today when I looked at my tank one of the colonies looked horrible and shrivelled up, (different looking than when a crab walks over them). I noticed some small white dots that I tried to blow off with a mini baster but no luck, I’m worried it may be zoa pox.

Can someone take a look and help me diagnose?

FC01FAEC-4CFE-4672-A9A1-F2D5FEBD89E5.jpeg
2DE16234-ADD2-414A-A37A-9DA6030F9893.jpeg

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Here’s a pic for reference. Lesions are well defined at the margins and generally raised. Often with a white to crème color. I don’t believe that’s what you have going on in your pic.

F698C62F-A306-4F69-B720-ECBB8C890BB2.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic for reference. Lesions are well defined at the margins and generally raised. Often with to crème color. I don’t believe that’s what you have going on in your pic.

F698C62F-A306-4F69-B720-ECBB8C890BB2.jpeg
There are some white specks but its hard to tell if they are like that or not. Any idea on what else could have happened? Was looking perfectly fine one day, then the next like this

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some white specks but its hard to tell if they are like that or not. Any idea on what else could have happened? Was looking perfectly fine one day, then the next like this
Top large one in your 2nd picture looks like a spirorbid worm.
All of the smaller ones are too blurry for me to see.
Can you try to brush one/some off?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some stirred up sand? As in the photo above, zoa pocks look like the are coming from just beneath the zoas surface. Sand, etc looks like something sitting on / stuck to the surface.

OP
OP
P

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd agree with @EricR's assessment.

Zoas can be ***** from day to day. Its not unusual for sand or other detritus to land on them and get incorporated into the mat.
It looks like this is what happened, tried brushing some of the white specks off and they were fairly embedded but it looks like it was sand.

I changed the position of the powerhead a couple of weeks ago and it might not be getting as much flow as before and maybe causing sand to settle there.
Would that cause them to shrivel up like this?

OP
OP
P

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, a change like that with sand irritating them could absolutely cause what you're seeing.
Ugh, A never ending puzzle with where to put my powerhead. I move it cause another coral is doing poorly, that coral is doing great now but now the zoas are unhappy. Seems like there is no place I can put it where it makes them all happy

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Eh, I know it can be frustrating but don't get discouraged. Keep tinkering and eventually you'll figure it out. Worst case if the powerhead is oversized you can always downgrade to a different unit (provided your current one isn't adjustable).

OP
OP
P

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh, I know it can be frustrating but don't get discouraged. Keep tinkering and eventually you'll figure it out. Worst case if the powerhead is oversized you can always downgrade to a different unit (provided your current one isn't adjustable)
My tank is only 13.5g, I have the fluval sea CP1 (265gph) and the stock return pump for flow. I was thinking of maybe getting another powerhead so I can have all angles covered but am worried it might be too much flow for the tank. Is there any rules of thumb for that?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is only 13.5g, I have the fluval sea CP1 (265gph) and the stock return pump for flow. I was thinking of maybe getting another powerhead so I can have all angles covered but am worried it might be too much flow for the tank. Is there any rules of thumb for that?
I have the same tank and the same issue. Everything was too powerful. I ended up getting this 240gph one. At the time it was the smallest one I could find with good reviews.

I decided a second one would be too much because this one was already a pain to get adjusted without making something get too much flow. But every tank is different.

OP
OP
P

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and the same issue. Everything was too powerful. I ended up getting this 240gph one. At the time it was the smallest one I could find with good reviews.

I decided a second one would be too much because this one was already a pain to get adjusted without making something get too much flow. But every tank is different.

Im going to try a 2nd 265gph one, but position them behind the rock work vs in front to see if that gets everything happy again

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back