Isaac's CADE 1500s2/ Peninsula Reef Build

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned a free days ago what this little temple warning ⚠️ symbol means on the Apex EB832 means…

IMG_6937.jpeg

My EcoFlow battery backup was in the middle of recharging after an overnight power outage..

IMG_6936.png

This caused the voltage to drop. Luckily everything was running fine and the Ecoflow system load balanced the charging and AC draw.
Question if you don’t mind answering: Would you recommend that ecoflow battery? What size did you guy and how long does it last you in the event of a power outage?

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 week and 2 days and the Bryopsis is turning major white. And, I’m still thinking the urchin are finally eating it up…unsure of this but they are on the same rocks the last few days which is new behavior.

Some pics of the algae before I do some siphoning into a sock in the sump:

IMG_7607.jpeg

Still has major streams of chryso.

IMG_7606.jpeg

But the algae is turning whitish color:

IMG_7601.jpeg

IMG_7603.jpeg

I don’t know about anyone else but dealing with this type of thing is demoralizing to say the least. Not helping with my mental health. But push forward. I’ve decided to siphon out the stringy mucus and as much of the white algae into a sock that I’ll place in the sump so I don’t waste any water to keep the fluconazole in the system.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the siphon job:

IMG_7622.jpeg

Took more time than I hoped but I tried to get into every nook and crevice. Even vacuumed the sand bed.

IMG_7621.jpeg

Also, moved my dragon soul torch colony to the center since it was shading out my hammer and the wolverine torch was just buried. Also moved my Amazeballs Goni and the insane tip Goni out from under the rock to give them a bit more light.

The live rock is looking better:

IMG_7623.jpeg

IMG_7624.jpeg

I’m still doing the H202 at night. Not sure if it helps but I don’t think it’s really going to hurt anything at the 1ml per 10g dose. And the UV is still running.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question if you don’t mind answering: Would you recommend that ecoflow battery? What size did you guy and how long does it last you in the event of a power outage?

So I have the Ecoflow DELTA MAX (2000) with the DELTA MAX Smart Extra Battery to double its capacity — giving me about 4032Wh. Which lasts my tank — while it’s running normally— 7 hours of runtime. Now, I would, in an attempt to increase the runtime, shutdown lights and some wave makers and just slow down a few things to decrease the power consumption.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking better. There is progress for sure. Did your try Mexican turbos to se if they will eat it.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishotel has opened order requests for QT fish from an African distributor. Tempted to get a sand sifter to help.

tempted…

GIF by Sherchle

Order thread is here:

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nutrients seem to be balancing out:

IMG_7635.jpeg

1. The feeding coral more frequently.
  2. Removing algae over weekend
  3. Fluconazol treatment continuing
  4. H2O2 dosing (1ml per 10 gallons)
  5. Continued carbon dosing

System could be balancing.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next project is extending my XF330 Gyre cables so I can have the two gyres on the far side of the tank.

I'm going to use these 18 AWG IP65 connectors to do it:

61ZJwvNvt3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The link is here:

I'll use the old XF330 and a Hygger 10ft extension 3 pin controller cable that I purchased hoping that it would work...which it does not. But I can use the wire. This will give me the flow on the far end of the tank and give me some quick disconnects for cleaning the gyres.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have definitely turned the corner, tanks looking better. My Foxface does the same thing. I think it's just slurping up any fish food slick on the surface. Best of luck to you "old man" (Pfft, SMH, you still a kid!:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:) and pat the dog for me.:cool:

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see if I can extend the cable for my replacement Maxspect Gyre XF330 ….

I’m going to use the old non working XF330 control cord as my sacrifice as well as a Hygger extension cable I bought hoping it would fit - but it didn’t — but the wires are the same gauge and voltage rating.

IMG_7716.jpeg

The new XF330 control cord numbers state:

• 20AWG
• 300v

IMG_7707.jpeg

Let’s cut into the XF330 control cord to see what we got:

IMG_7711.jpeg

IMG_7708.jpeg

Red, Black, and Yellow wires.

Using a multimeter I tested continuity to know which color went to which pole.

IMG_7719.jpeg

Then matched the pin alignment to that of the Hygger extension cable since I’ll use this wires first to use the quick disconnect. I used the notch as my orientation for both cables. The “Earth” or Yellow wires were both at the center below the notch.

IMG_7718.jpeg

So it was just a soldering exercise to match the cords, heat shrink the soldered parts …

IMG_7720.jpeg

Then heat shrink the whole bunch.

IMG_7721.jpeg

This also allows me to disconnect the pump for cleaning with the new quick disconnect.

Next is to cut a notch into my lid

…luckily the TopLid is a polycarbonate material and using a stepper drill I was able to crudely cut through it easily. But I think it turned out ok. It looks fine when I’m not staring at it from the top.

IMG_7723.jpeg

Now the pump is running in the tank with the cable going down the side and under the cabinet all the way to the other side into the control cabinet. And the lid is now fit snugly again over the tank.

IMG_7725.jpeg

Now I’ll do this again for the other pump so I can have both running at this end of the Cade. But I need to get more wire so that means it’ll be for another day.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to see you've been having a tough time with this golden algae. Looks like the golden algae is not going away with the fluconazole. Bummer. This is what I would try:
  • Run GFO to remove silicates (slowly so you don't shock your corals by dropping phosphates too fast, smaller amounts change every few days)
    • Keep phosphates low (<0.03), testing daily. Do not keep phosphates high as that will exhaust your GFO.
    • You might need to dose phosphates to keep from completely bottoming out while running GFO as you are targeting silicates.
    • Run GFO for at least 2-3 weeks to see if it makes impact.
  • Encourage bryopsis, hair algae, maybe even cyano to outcompete golden algae. Golden algae multiplies much faster than macroalgae...so hard to outcompete. At this time, you need any competition for this golden algae. (Hopefully not dinos). Plus, you have fluconazole to rid of the green macros later.
  • Keep manual removal to export as much as possible. You don't want it to die and release silicates back into the water.
  • Test for silicates if you have the test kit (in RODI water and your tank) to make sure you are not adding silicates
  • Stop dosing peroxide into the tank, you are killing beneficial bacteria. You want that beneficial bacteria to be there once the golden algae goes away, and not another type of nuisance algae to take over.
This would be my plan of attack if this was my tank. Hopefully, at least, that gives you an idea or a different perspective from another reefer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on track from a couple days

Into the 3rd week of fluconazole in the water, and bryopsis seems to have been eliminated. The (golden algae) is not really impacted. I'm concluding that one dose of fluconazole is NOT effective on chrysos in my tank, and am now looking at other methods like Dino-X, an algaecide -- although I'm only in the research phase on this direction.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My weekend update was a 45 gallon water change— 30 gallons of fresh TPM and 15 gallons from my long term storage tank. Also cleaned out skimmer.

To do:
  • I need to test parameters today
  • Need to clean diy extension wire for second Maxspect gyre
  • Want to get another Fauna Marin ICP
  • I did get a Dino-X bottle—need to do more research on this one before moving forward with that treatment- if I decide to do it.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if anyone uses Ocean Nutrition Garlic infused Nori sheets, Amazon has a great deal for 50 sheets, it’s $26.59 right now. It’s the cheapest I can remember this item being. I’ve always fed this brand and it’s usually $30-35.

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are doing a great job methodically trying to beat this golden algae, and it's only a matter of time before finding the right solution. I think you are getting close. I'm rooting for you! If you need a hand or ideas, I'm local to you and happy to help. Good luck.

OP
OP
Isaac Alves

Isaac Alves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completed 3+ weeks of Fluconazole. Dino-X time?

The fluconazole treatment is over and a 45 gallon water change is completed. The impact on golden algae is negligible. There is some slowing of growth but the growth is still strong. I've purchased Fauna Marin's Dino-X and weighing the pros and cons with using an algeacide in a young reef tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back