Its all about the Box - Fish that is

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We were discussing yesterday a unique fish that is not owned by everyone. They come and go in the market and are often misunderstood. While not the easiest to care for do provide some unknown benefits.
We are talking about the Boxfish, in particular cubicus which has relatives. Like a cowfish, it has a body which contains armor like plates covered by skin and contains poisonous glands. They also can reach an easy captive length of 8-10". They require lots of hiding spots and coverage as they can be shy. While they are a very hard fish to keep in which I stopped selling them at my LFS - they are not for everyone and often starve or mysteriously found dead while looking healthy. They should be in a tank with bright light and GOOD water quality with a skimmer unit as they do not tolerate nitrites well. Some foods to feed them are brine shrimp, small plankton, mysis shrimp, nori, chopped shrimp, chopped clam, chopped crab meat and chopped mussels which make up a good part of diet in the wild.
As they mature, surprisingly and unknowingly, they will eat bristleworms, tubeworms and some flatworms.

How many of us own/ have owned a boxfish?
How long have you had it?
What are your successes and downfalls with this type of fish?
Would you recommend it to a fellow aquarist?

1694096354934.png
1694096371734.png
1694096382458.png
1694096423147.png
1694096446678.png

Last edited:

dyno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is impossible to see if they are skinny with their outer shell and they need to eat a lot! Very fast metabolism. I have kept the infamous blue box for 2 years until I messed up and left the lid off after a evening water change. I have pictures if you want to see.

Key point: he was already eating well at the lfs. Also have kept long horn cows and they are easy if fed enough food. But if you miss or reduce
Feedings even a couple times they start going downhill. I have never had one poison my tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back