Jebao auto dosing pump dp-4

Purpule Tang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,guys.
I have a 90 gallon lps and soft coral tank.I want ask you that Rw_8 is better or Rw_15?
Also My size tank is:120cm*50cm*60cm.(L*w*h).
Thanks, :)

Last edited:

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either will work i also have a 90 softie/lps running rw15's set to lowest setting get good flow but not beating them to death

morgan175

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put a rw15 in my 110 at highest setting you get water sloshing out of tank. The rw4 is perfect on my 40b. It will throw water out to on highest setting. The pumps work great

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you see a new version of the DP-4 released?

I heard it mentioned on the Reef Central thread. I think they are just calling it the same thing but they did some updates to it. Not 100% sure.

Hi,guys.
I have a 90 gallon lps and soft coral tank.I want ask you that Rw_8 is better or Rw_15?
Also My size tank is:120cm*50cm*60cm.(L*w*h).
Thanks, :)

If you put a rw15 in my 110 at highest setting you get water sloshing out of tank. The rw4 is perfect on my 40b. It will throw water out to on highest setting. The pumps work great

Talking about the dosing pump not the power head. ;)

There are some larger threads dedicated to their discussion.

Last edited:

fragguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I posted this on another site and thought it should be shared here as well for the benefit of all. Mods if there are any reservations on the link referenced below do what you have. I only used the link because it helps to clarify what I found. Thank You!)

Here is my experience with this doser. In a nutshell, you might want to inspect the pump head assembly because it appears that mine were installed in reverse.

Here are the events that led me to this conclusion;

I acquired my unit about a month ago. During calibration, pump head number two began to slip (motor was still going but the three rollers were not rotating). I could hear the sound change as it slipped on and off. I could also confirm this visually. Even if I managed to complete calibration with no slipping events, when I set the doser to dose, the heads would slip around five or six times out of ten tries. This resulted in under dosing. I returned it and got another unit. During calibration of this second unit, three out of the four heads slipped on multiple attempts. Needles to say, I had lost confidence in the dosing heads and thought I had wasted my money. I went on-line and did some searching and while doing that, I found someone disassembling one of these dosing heads. It was not the exact one installed in the Jebao doser but the design was the same. I took apart the dosing heads in my unit and I noticed that the way the roller heads were inserted in the pump housing was reversed when compared to the one I saw on-line. I reversed mine to look like the one on-line, I calibrated, tested and tested and tested... It’s been over two weeks and I have not seen one failure in any of the four heads. I have monitored the dosages and they are all spot on. At this point my confidence has been restored.

I did a search on-line to look for an illustration to attach to this response to provide a visual and I found this RC link which supports my finding as well. This is a Marine Magic doser but the design for the dosing head is the same.
(To be clear assembly A in the link below is the way I have installed the rollers in my pump heads)
Marine Magic Dosing Pump - Head Assembly - Reef Central Online Community
I don’t know who I can contact to confirm that this is the proper installation but it seems that assembling them this way allows the dosing tubing to tighten/wrap down on the roller heads better against the motor axis and prevent slipping and also possibly create a better seal against the tubing thus preventing the fluid to back siphon.

I don’t know if Jebao assembles all the doser heads in this manner or if this was just a case of one assembler that was miss instructed or not paying attention. Or maybe Jebao received them this way from their source…

I hope this helps someone.

I would also like if possible, for those of you that open your pump heads to compare which way they are assembled and let us know your findings. Specially if you have other brands but with similarly designed pump heads.

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fragguy Great info, thanks for posting. That explains the reports of the pump sometimes dosing less than what is programmed even when it is calibrated properly.

Have you had any issues with a pump staying on too long?

fragguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I have not seen any problems with the pump staying on long. Haven't seen others report this either, have you had that problem or seen anyone else report that?

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I have not seen any problems with the pump staying on long. Haven't seen others report this either, have you had that problem or seen anyone else report that?

The first and only time I have heard it is post #22 in this thread.

fragguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first and only time I have heard it is post #22 in this thread.

I saw that, but I don't think that it was confirmed for sure that the doser stayed on dosing longer than programmed. It could also have been a continues dripping problem which many have reported and all seem to have fixed by installing the rollers the way I did. As of now I have not seen any issues with the timer/controller in the unit. All the issues that I have seen seem to be related to the pump heads.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that, but I don't think that it was confirmed for sure that the doser stayed on dosing longer than programmed. It could also have been a continues dripping problem which many have reported and all seem to have fixed by installing the rollers the way I did. As of now I have not seen any issues with the timer/controller in the unit. All the issues that I have seen seem to be related to the pump heads.

So, does this mean that all of these units have the rollers incorrectly installed, or just yours ?

I want a doser for our 29g reef, but don't want a bad problem. We have their RW-4 powerhead/wavemaker, and really like it.

Last edited:

fragguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, does this mean that all of these units have the rollers incorrectly installed, or just yours ?

I want a doser for our 29g reef, but don't want a bad problem. We have their RW-4 powerhead/wavemaker, and really like it.

I can't tell you that all units are installed "incorrectly". I can't even confirm that the way I and others have re-installed the pump head is the correct way or the way it was designed to be installed. Based on my experience and feedback from others I can confirm the following;
1. Once I re-installed, the unit has worked flawlessly. This has also been the case with others that had problems and re-installed it.
2. Based on the responses from members of this forum and other forums, mine is not the only unit that came installed "incorrectly".
3. After comparing other brands of dosing pumps using the same pump head design, they are all installed the opposite way than the Jebao.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer!! What if your a reefer like me who isn't mechanically literate and won't be able to tell one way or the other? I've never used a doser of any kind before, never even seen one running. Dang, if I wasn't scared about using it before, I sure am now :(

Terry4505

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll chime in here.

I've been running my DP-4 for a few months. And I have been experiencing air bubbles in the discharge side of the doser just past the head on 3 of the 4 pumps.

I have tried all of the usual fixes to no avail. I even tried flipping the rollers inside the head as Fragguy suggests, still having the problem. At this point, I just test weekly and reprime the lines as needed. My Alk, Cal and Mag are where they should be and I use the 4th pump for NO4POX and Phos is fine.

fragguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll chime in here.

I've been running my DP-4 for a few months. And I have been experiencing air bubbles in the discharge side of the doser just past the head on 3 of the 4 pumps.

I have tried all of the usual fixes to no avail. I even tried flipping the rollers inside the head as Fragguy suggests, still having the problem. At this point, I just test weekly and reprime the lines as needed. My Alk, Cal and Mag are where they should be and I use the 4th pump for NO4POX and Phos is fine.

I think someone else might have reported this issue. I don't think the roller head flip would help this though. If you want to post some pictures of the dosing setup end to end plus a close up of the bubble in the line, that may help us suggest a possible fix.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These reports concern me.

I have a new (expensive) Bubble-Magus doser, but that's for my 93g cube that will be an all sps tank.
With this hobby, I've gotten sick,...of products that are junk, like the Cadlights PLS-50 nano skimmer
for my wife's 29g, and a few other products as well. So, I don't want to "cheap out" for a doser.

Why would Jebao install them in the opposite way than all others ?

Has anyone contacted Jebao about this situation ?
There's a dealer here in the USA on ebay named, JebaoUS. I don't have enough knowledge and experience to
speak with them intelligently enough.

So fragguy, could you contact them for all of us reefers ? :bigsmile:
That would be much,....appreciated !

http://stores.ebay.com/Jebao-US

I really don't know what to think here guys ???

fragguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will contact the ebay account and direct them to this thread. Hopefully they can respond directly.

fragguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sent them an email. I notice that they don't have any DP-4s for sale in the ebay store but let's hope that they can respond or maybe direct this to some one that can.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back