OP
OP
coralcruze

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I mentioned I was searching for a DC pump. I ended up not buying one because of the numerous pump failed video/threads/reviews I found. All brands except Royal Exclusive $$$ seem to have issues and common failures. Now the gen 2 wavelines are fairly new and I will wait for the jury before I switch. I ended up getting a Fluval Sea SP4 and I couldn't be happier, dead quiet, and efficient.

Just a comparison the SP4 is 1822GPH at 88W, the also quiet Eheim 1262 is only 910gph and 80W, Sicce Syncra Silent 5.0 is 1300gph and 105W, and a mag 18 is 1800gph but 150W and noisy. So the Fluval is more powerful, more efficient, and less expensive than the eheim, and Sicce, and just as quiet as a DC pump.

The only advantages to the DC I can find is power efficiency (and not by much) the Waveline DC6000 Gen 2 1585gph and 48W, and speed control through apex. Once the mid-level DC pumps become more reliable I may switch over but for now I'm completely happy with my choice. Oh and I added a tee and a ball valve to my return to control flow. I can control on/off and soft start with my apex.

I am by far an opponent of DC or Jebao, I have a Jebao Rw-8 powerhead and it works great so far. I'm just leary of putting one in a critical spot like the heart of the system.

great info... thank you... I'm now looking into fluval sp6 and sp4 respectively. may I ask... you said that you can control soft start with the apex. are these soft start pumps or does your apex do this. if so how? through program or other? I'm with you on putting one in a critical spot... 4 years ago when none of these pumps were available on market I unfortunately purchased the danner hydrive pumps which from what I understand now are being discontinued because of all of the issues with them everyone is having. I cant seem to find any review or videos on you tube on the fluvals. do you know of any? the sp6 specs out at just under 3500 gph which is impressive for a 1.25 inlet/outlet. thanks in advance.

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps, I would not hesitate to buy another one. I think you're just reading the horror stories like Ronnie mentioned.

OP
OP
coralcruze

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps, I would not hesitate to buy another one. I think you're just reading the horror stories like Ronnie mentioned.

Thanks for that... I am looking at both good and bad in every pump im considering. what I'm finding though is that external usage of the speedwave or jebao is questionable. I think most people use these internally and never know that there is a leak. If I was to use this internally I may have considered the jebao however, my application is hardlined external.

Having said that I'm listening to everones suggestions and thank you all for contributing. its very much appreciated.

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand. It would be a much harder decision if I were running it externally as well. I've heard the same stories.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I didn’t mention, and now knowing you’re running externally, I also use a Sicce 5.0 for my closed loop system on my 120. I too read the horror stories of the leaking DC pumps which I didn’t care about on the two I’m using internally. I love the Sicce as it too is dead quiet. The only thing I had to do was put a foam pad under the pump to stop a small stand vibration. I literally have to touch it (or look at the CL outputs) to know if it’s running.

OP
OP
coralcruze

coralcruze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I didn’t mention, and now knowing you’re running externally, I also use a Sicce 5.0 for my closed loop system on my 120. I too read the horror stories of the leaking DC pumps which I didn’t care about on the two I’m using internally.I love the Sicce as it too is dead quiet.The only thing I had to do was put a foam pad under the pump to stop a small stand vibration.I literally have to touch it (or look at the CL outputs) to know if it’s running.

yes, I have a sicce pump (a small one) and can agree that its silent. I also love this pump... they are good pumps... anyone out there use this? Sicce Syncra HF16 Water Pump, 4,200 GPH, Max Head 15.4' - AquaCave.com

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back