OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So over the weekend I reaquascaped as my last aquascape was creating dead spots. If I didn't have a center overflow that wouldn't of been a problem but it was so here is the new aquascape, hope you like it. Pardon the frags all over the tank, coloring them up and I will be posting them for sale soon or trade for other acros locally, until then it's an eye sore.

Full Tank Shot

e31a6ed7-2eea-4b8c-a942-0cf592e02cd0_zpsf84774fb.png

Right Side

9599a022-8276-4f29-aa98-eddf980a807e_zps713f0dc3.png

Left Side

77d71687-b69c-439b-88e9-5ae067646435_zpsb6f43e9c.png

Side Shot

628c3101-f237-472c-a653-8c565b9edcb0_zpsa9271e99.png

Dustinba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank. That is pretty much exactly what I want to do. I love clownfish and anemomes. Nice work

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great addition!! :)

OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update, the blue S. Gigantea Anemone came down with an infection after a week being in my DT and I switched it over to my treatment tank, after 9 days of treatment I lost it. While I was treating him I built a tower for him to sit on and I didn't want all that work to go to waste so I converted the tower over to a bonsai structure for my acropora.

FTS 2-9-15_zpsrbtaowte.png

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Sorry to hear about your gigs. I see you changed from the gyre to power heads. Any thoughts on the gyre? I bought one too, but it doesn't do what I thought it would, so it's basically additional to the MP40's (which is ok, I do like the added slow tow). I think it would be nice for a softy only tank, but it doesn't do what I hoped it would, (replace mp40's). Mine also freezes going from forward to reverse, so that feature is useless. I also don't like what I see coming down the road with buying more parts to keep it going after vinegar baths to clean it, with the cord in the water eventually becoming brittle. I'm guessing you came to the same thoughts?

Nice tank. :)

OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Sorry to hear about your gigs. I see you changed from the gyre to power heads. Any thoughts on the gyre? I bought one too, but it doesn't do what I thought it would, so it's basically additional to the MP40's (which is ok, I do like the added slow tow). I think it would be nice for a softy only tank, but it doesn't do what I hoped it would, (replace mp40's). Mine also freezes going from forward to reverse, so that feature is useless. I also don't like what I see coming down the road with buying more parts to keep it going after vinegar baths to clean it, with the cord in the water eventually becoming brittle. I'm guessing you came to the same thoughts?

Nice tank. :)

Thanks Taylor! I still have 3 anemones left, my pink/red LTA which is in the back right corner and still not fully happy as I moved him away from my SPS but you will be able to see him once fully inflated. The purple/white tip Ritteri and my blue Haddoni which if you look in the last pic has lost some color from treatment as he had a late infection from my tank crash, back to feeding him for now :).

My Gyre is broke right now :p I am waiting on that to get fixed. That being said when I had the Gyre I never could get the flow I wanted but I will say I didn't play with it enough to say that for sure.

Last edited:

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry with the carper loss, as we have a green one and really cherish him.

Not to change your thread, but tell me more about the Gyre that has broken.
I've been listening to others that have one for their reviews and experience's.
How long have you had it and what broke ect...?

OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry with the carper loss, as we have a green one and really cherish him.

Not to change your thread, but tell me more about the Gyre that has broken.
I've been listening to others that have one for their reviews and experience's.
How long have you had it and what broke ect...?

I'm not fully sure what broke on the Gyre, I believe the motor went bad... I had the Gyre for 3 weeks before it ended up breaking.

Taylor t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Justin, when you fix your gyre, try this, you may like it. I put mine in the upper left top corner, vertically mounted on the glass, set on the pulse setting. Then for the top cylinder, I have it spray across the top of the back rocks, just above/at the anemone's up high on the rocks. With the bottom cylinder, I have it twisted (so they don't line up) pointing towards the front at a 45 degree angle (to hit a different anemone towards the front lower area in the tank). Then set it to pulse mode, high, then low. I have my high setting on roughly a medium setting, and it alternates from that setting to low about every 1-2 minutes. It seems to work pretty good this way. When it changes direction it seems to jam and turn off. It works really well with additional MP40's or power heads to create random flow on the pulse setting.

OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Justin, when you fix your gyre, try this, you may like it. I put mine in the upper left top corner, vertically mounted on the glass, set on the pulse setting. Then for the top cylinder, I have it spray across the top of the back rocks, just above/at the anemone's up high on the rocks. With the bottom cylinder, I have it twisted (so they don't line up) pointing towards the front at a 45 degree angle (to hit a different anemone towards the front lower area in the tank). Then set it to pulse mode, high, then low. I have my high setting on roughly a medium setting, and it alternates from that setting to low about every 1-2 minutes. It seems to work pretty good this way. When it changes direction it seems to jam and turn off. It works really well with additional MP40's or power heads to create random flow on the pulse setting.

I will give it a shot, thanks Taylor.

OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update & recap on the past few months:

I ended up losing the Blue Gigantea. After a week in DT it started to show signs of illness, I removed immediately to start treatment but after 9 days I ended up losing the battle. During this time my Blue Haddoni had deflated a few days before the Gigantea went into treatment and I'm still not positive as to why. All I can say is maybe his internals were messed up from the high pH levels from the tank crash and the 13 clownfish stressed him out too much to fully heal but I ended up getting him out of treatment. He looked good for another 5 days and started deflating again so I started treatment but this time it ultimately led to his death. I know it had to be of this reason because I have kept my tank parameters spot on.*

I only have the red/pink LTA and the white tip/purple H. Mag left. I feel like the clownfish are sadly being too rough on the anemones I have left and I am going to be getting rid of the Harem as I am taking a break from adding anemones. After the last few months of battling a losing battle due to the crash it's made me lazy/unpassionate about the hobby which I've never felt before. I'll be replacing the clowns with an A. Bicinctus pair. I plan on doing a picture update later today when I get home from work, which will probably be my last update to this thread on where the tank is at after the crash and my new direction due to it. I will end up making a new thread with my new direction as well if you would like to keep in touch.

Last edited:

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is what I'm going to do! I love nem tanks and I think I'll be able to pull off a beautiful bubbletip biocube! Thanks for the motivation! Your tank is beautiful! Don't give up!

OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow great tank. love the variety.

Thanks Dexter.

I think this is what I'm going to do! I love nem tanks and I think I'll be able to pull off a beautiful bubbletip biocube! Thanks for the motivation! Your tank is beautiful! Don't give up!

Thanks.

I'm not giving up on the tank but I am taking it in another direction. Keeping S. Giganteas and H. Magnificas is amazing once you get them thriving but I have had such a hard few months with my anemones constantly losing/treating and stressing over trying to salvage what I could from the crash that I am moving my tank into another direction which will be full SPS. They might be just as finicky as harder anemones but they require less maintenance overall I feel like.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Justinky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is my FTS with my current aquascape, it's still a work in progress and I am changing coral placement every once in a while but I believe it's getting there. I have decided to go SPS dominant as Blue Life USA did not have a good anemone selection to choose from and shipping is horrible anyways.

FTS:
FTS 3-2-15_zpsc2kl4vas.png

Left View:
Left View 3-2-15_zpsqj7jdoia.png

Right View:
Right Side View_zpsb75hxl0g.png

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate to see you giving up on the nem tank. Didn't realize this thread was out there, I am trying the same right now in my tank.

Any further thoughts on why the nems didn't make it? Do you think carbon could have helped had it been treated and right?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back