OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So empty it, clean it, ad the proper amount of kalk and take a sharpie and mark the level on the side of your stirrer so you know in a week or 2 where to fill your kalk up to roughly. Just a thought
So you're suggesting it needs to be emptied on a weekly basis? I was hoping for less maintainence !

Wayofthereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're suggesting it needs to be emptied on a weekly basis? I was hoping for less maintainence !
No no lol.. just the 1 time.. once you mark it you will know exactly how much to dump in there withou measuring.. so once a week or every other week simply add my kalk up to you mark

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No no lol.. just the 1 time.. once you mark it you will know exactly how much to dump in there withou measuring.. so once a week or every other week simply add my kalk up to you mark
I already know that I added 100 grams of powder and that made 1 3/4" of slurry/residue/precipitate on the bottom. I'm hoping with a closed up reactor there'll be little precipitation and most or all of that slurry will be pure kalk powder just waiting to be disolved.

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly would return it. Keep kalkwasser in a caped container like a Home Depot bucket. I use a 3 gallon food container. Use a stem on hard airline to suck it out and a tiny air hole .
Kalkwasser stay’s near 100% concentrated for 30 days. So what’s a kalk stirrer for ? 100% ? Just an overpriced gadget. There expensive to. All you need is a container, a doseing pump and airline tube. Easy to set up for under a hundred. While I’m at it I might suggest Brightwell kalk plus 2 . It has strontium and magnesium in it in one product. Hope this helps . Ted
You have to replenish the ro water in a container much more often then you have to in a Kalk reactor. Also your brighwell kalk is a gimmick. Magnesium precipitates at such high PH so that slurry you see is your magnesium. The biggest reason is automation. Your ato adds ro water and the kale is stirred to keep the kale asset water potent. There are cheaper ways to do anything in the hobby

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps you are overthinking kalk . There is plenty of other people who have researched how well and long kalk maintains concentration . The scum on the top is actually necessary it keeps carbon from the air getting into the mix and never remix kalk because it ruins it . Btw 1 gallon per day is a lot . We normally measure alkalinity to gauge how much to use . Forget PH if you’re using kalk . It’s good as a given. I dose it every hour , some people dose only at night.
I believe the crust is the result of co2 entering the chamber. If you are able to avoid co2 entering the chamber there is no crust.

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You have to replenish the ro water in a container much more often then you have to in a Kalk reactor. Also your brighwell kalk is a gimmick. Magnesium precipitates at such high PH so that slurry you see is your magnesium. The biggest reason is automation. Your ato adds ro water and the kale is stirred to keep the kale asset water potent. There are cheaper ways to do anything in the hobby

Sweet Reef Corals

SweetReefOH on IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Gonna attempt to build my own stirrer with this from Amazon. Much better than $200+ for a reactor.
IMG_9268.jpeg

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I love my stirrer. Much more compact and keeps a more stabile concentration. Not sure how he tests his kalk to determine it is 100% saturated but I saw definite pH changes and varying dosing requirements over time. As far as $$$ go, I never understand why people concern themselves with how others choose to enjoy spending it. As long as they're not too complicated to operate I enjoy my gadgets as do many others in this hobby. Personally I think it's unnecessary to spend 100's or 1000's on a device to test your water four times per day, but if it makes you happy go right ahead.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back