• Ecotech

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters

FireEMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be setting up my first tank here in the next couple weeks. My tank is a Miracles 60x24x22 rimless and I am having a really hard time making a decision on lights. Because may tank is 60" long I have to do 3 of either light and the Kessils will be much better as far as price but I want whats going to be best. I will be running the tank with an Apex and plan on having a mixed reef. Let the opinions begin, any info would be appreciated.

abecker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar decision when choosing lighting for my tank. I ended up with the Ecotech for a few reasons. The biggest one is that the Kessils don't go low enough in intensity to work as a moonlight. Another is I have Vortech pumps and I was able to control everything through the WXM on my Apex and not have to buy another module. You may be able to get away with using two Radions and the wide angle lens kits. This would give each a 36" wide coverage, but it would depend on if you can give up a little light intensity. I ended up going used on mine and got two Gen2 radions for 700. I always have the option to upgrade the lens kits, and don't care about the buttons being different from the Gen2 and Gen3 since I use the Apex to control it.

kacrocorals581

Gotta have that acro
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my kessil , perfectly uniform light color ,crazy shimmer, easy of control with or without a controller , and they grow my acro's just as good as my t5 on my other tank.

OP
OP
FireEMT

FireEMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar decision when choosing lighting for my tank. I ended up with the Ecotech for a few reasons. The biggest one is that the Kessils don't go low enough in intensity to work as a moonlight. Another is I have Vortech pumps and I was able to control everything through the WXM on my Apex and not have to buy another module. You may be able to get away with using two Radions and the wide angle lens kits. This would give each a 36" wide coverage, but it would depend on if you can give up a little light intensity. I ended up going used on mine and got two Gen2 radions for 700. I always have the option to upgrade the lens kits, and don't care about the buttons being different from the Gen2 and Gen3 since I use the Apex to control it.
Thanks for the info, thats exactly what I'm looking for. I have the Neptune WAV's for my powerheads and the Ecotech M1 for my return pump so I wasn't thinking about controllers for the apex. Thanks again and I will check into the wide angle kit. The main reason I was originally leaning towards the Kessils is because of the shimmer, which I love.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on what abecker said about the kessil. I had them on my last tank and could only run them beginning at 15% intensity. Anything below that they would flicker. With the Kessil you'll also need the apex cable to connect it...radions connect via the wxm module. I was happy with the kessil, everything grew under them. I had one on my cube that I recently switched out for the XR15 pro. While I liked the kessil I'm really liking the lighting on the radion. so much more programming options. I bought 3 of the XR30 Pros for my new build.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on what abecker said about the kessil. I had them on my last tank and could only run them beginning at 15% intensity. Anything below that they would flicker. With the Kessil you'll also need the apex cable to connect it...radions connect via the wxm module. I was happy with the kessil, everything grew under them. I had one on my cube that I recently switched out for the XR15 pro. While I liked the kessil I'm really liking the lighting on the radion. so much more programming options. I liked it so much that I ordered 3 of the XR30 pros for my new build which is still in progress.

OP
OP
FireEMT

FireEMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on what abecker said about the kessil. I had them on my last tank and could only run them beginning at 15% intensity. Anything below that they would flicker. With the Kessil you'll also need the apex cable to connect it...radions connect via the wxm module. I was happy with the kessil, everything grew under them. I had one on my cube that I recently switched out for the XR15 pro. While I liked the kessil I'm really liking the lighting on the radion. so much more programming options. I liked it so much that I ordered 3 of the XR30 pros for my new build which is still in progress.
What size tank are you building? Did you ever come up with a solution for the lunar effect with the Kessels? Are you running the lunar effect with the Radions?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 175g, 6ft long. There is no solution...it's just the way they're designed. With the XR15 I do have it ramp up and down from 0% for sunrise / sunset.

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had 2x 360we Kessils on my tank, and although many people will say they are able to grow acros and such under them, I noticed the growth and coloring just wasn't there, even at 100%. When I switched to 2x XR30 Pros at 50%, I noticed immediate polyp extension, and within a a couple weeks, some SPS that were browned out, started to color up again.

I loved Kessils, but I feel they are best suited for LPS. Most people who run Kessils have them combo with T5 to optimum growth / coloring. Some people will probably disagree with me, but in my tank, I noticed better growth and coloring with Radions over Kessils.

OP
OP
FireEMT

FireEMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had 2x 360we Kessils on my tank, and although many people will say they are able to grow acros and such under them, I noticed the growth and coloring just wasn't there, even at 100%. When I switched to 2x XR30 Pros at 50%, I noticed immediate polyp extension, and within a a couple weeks, some SPS that were browned out, started to color up again.

I loved Kessils, but I feel they are best suited for LPS. Most people who run Kessils have them combo with T5 to optimum growth / coloring. Some people will probably disagree with me, but in my tank, I noticed better growth and coloring with Radions over Kessils.
I really don't know what to think anymore. I've heard that from other people too but I've also heard from accomplished reefers that they have no problem growing sps with kessils. Was there anything else that you changed? Did you ever check PAR levels with the kessils or maybe changed the height of the lights. I hope to go to reef a paloza this weekend and see some options.

xlzerolx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only issue with the kessil was the shadowing on SpS. This caused only the tops of the Sps too look good. Then again I only had one 360WE over my shallow 2ft cube. I would definitely recommend more than one kessil in any situation. That light is one of the most derictional led lights I've used. I've since switched to a mitras 6200 and have no regrets (bought it used for less than half the price). I have no experience with ecotech. They are too much money for the coverage they offer

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think shadowing will occur with any LED type of lighting. Even with 2 Xr30 pros over a 36 inch long tank, I still experience some shadowing. This is the downside of having LEDs in my opinion. It's why people supplement with T5s

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm fixing to jump ship. I never had issues like this before with my old diy led fixture.

Water quality.... Never paid any attention to it on my old tank and had vibrant colors on all sps corals.

All my sps under my 360we turned brown or are turning brown.

I suspect another variable at play for those successfully keeping acroporas under their kessils.

xlzerolx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think shadowing will occur with any LED type of lighting. Even with 2 Xr30 pros over a 36 inch long tank, I still experience some shadowing. This is the downside of having LEDs in my opinion. It's why people supplement with T5s

I agree with your statement, however if you haven't seen the mitras in person I would advise checking it out. Shadows are reduced significantly compared to the kessil. I've had both the Kessil and Mitras and this is what I have noticed.

xlzerolx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fixing to jump ship. I never had issues like this before with my old diy led fixture.

Water quality.... Never paid any attention to it on my old tank and had vibrant colors on all sps corals.

All my sps under my 360we turned brown or are turning brown.

I suspect another variable at play for those successfully keeping acroporas under their kessils.

I've had the same experience, but I attributed it to having only one kessil.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same experience, but I attributed it to having only one kessil.

The thing is, is that my kessil has more watts than my old diy with 3w cree LEDs.

No idea what's wrong with kessil. I can straight up guarantee my water quality now is way better then it used to be.

Salao22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my kessil

image.jpeg

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if the problem with kessil is that having many low wattage LEDs isn't as good as fewer high wattage LEDs?

This would be coupled with the unknown factor that unsuccessful kessil tanks have vs successful kessil tanks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back