Kessils and noopsych

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 kessil 360s over my 5-foot tank. I need more light and am pondering swapping the middle kessil for a noop.

Question is, how do the blend?

He's the tank.
IMG_20240316_190900510_HDR.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an option, but one that costs money. Although t5s are cheap enough.
I went from black box to kessil and will never go back. Visually they just aren't even close. I personally just don't think I would ever be happy swapping as you've mentioned. With adding an orphek or comparable strip, you at least keep the kessils. T5 would be the best route as far as lighting goes though.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from black box to kessil and will never go back. Visually they just aren't even close. I personally just don't think I would ever be happy swapping as you've mentioned. With adding an orphek or comparable strip, you at least keep the kessils. T5 would be the best route as far as lighting goes though.
This. The noop will never match with the kessil.

Have you considered running a reflector for a bit more punch. I bought the 70 degree and 90 degree from chinahut (AliExpress) and it helped immensely on my 24x24 sps cube for a bit more punch and a bit less spilled light overall.

Edit: I see you have the older 360, not the 360x model... Don't know if the reflectors are compatible :(

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This. The noop will never match with the kessil.

Have you considered running a reflector for a bit more punch. I bought the 70 degree and 90 degree from chinahut (AliExpress) and it helped immensely on my 24x24 sps cube for a bit more punch and a bit less spilled light overall.

Edit: I see you have the older 360, not the 360x model... Don't know if the reflectors are compatible :(
I can poke around for reflectors. My fear there is then having gaps.
I can't help much, I have a noopsyche but not kessil.

I would add and not replace IMO. Placing 2 lights between the kessils and space the ones on the end out more. For the most light.

Or add led bar lights for a smaller increase.
That's what will likely happen if I win the noop giveaway. I'd hate to have off balance lights.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can poke around for reflectors. My fear there is then having gaps.

That's what will likely happen if I win the noop giveaway. I'd hate to have off balance lights.
I'd also suggest some Alie light bars, they are a good bang for the buck, IME they help filling in but not much for a lot of par. Quanta puts out some higher end stuff, but you are paying higher end prices for much the same end effect.

stoney7713

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'd also suggest some Alie light bars, they are a good bang for the buck, IME they help filling in but not much for a lot of par. Quanta puts out some higher end stuff, but you are paying higher end prices for much the same end effect.
I have an ali bar on the front, it does help with decreasing shadows. I haven't measured par, 1 bar isn't going to do a lot, it's enough to light to see in the tank for an hour sunrise/sunset by itself.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the kessils hung? Do you have a pic of their fixture? Can the two side kessils be soace further apart and angled inwards? I might consider two noops between the kessils, which would blanket the tank with a LOT of light and give the kessil shimmer/spectrum as well.

Do you like more blues or gerting more daylight color in there?

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get a picture of the mount when I get home. They're on an Eco tech rail that I printed adapters for. I could always reprint them to lower/angle them.

They're a little high now, maybe a foot from the water.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get a picture of the mount when I get home. They're on an Eco tech rail that I printed adapters for. I could always reprint them to lower/angle them.

They're a little high now, maybe a foot from the water.
Maybe lower and see if that will boost your par enough? I run mine between 6 & 8 inches from the water between both tanks.

Dedicated Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 kessil 360s over my 5-foot tank. I need more light and am pondering swapping the middle kessil for a noop.

Question is, how do the blend?

He's the tank.
IMG_20240316_190900510_HDR.jpg
I have a Smatfarm g5 light and it is a great light. I made a review of the light on YouTube. But I would definitely recommend it. I have that and two A160s on my frag tank. And absolutely love the blend with the shimmer of the Kessil

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back