PLEASE HELP! kessil Ap9x is driving me crazy!

zoanthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished installing my kessil Ap9x, everything went smooth until I tried to use my phone. The kessil WiFi app connects to my phone instead of my actual router, if I connect my phone back to my WiFi the kessil WiFi app will disconnect!! Is this normal? Does it always need to be connected to my phone? Will the light operate with the schedule I programmed if it’s not connected to WiFi? I’m frustrated as I can’t seem to figure this out.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In AP mode you can only connect point-to-point with the fixture. The light will save your settings and is not controlled over a cloud. It does not need internet to function and you should likewise not need to be on your home wifi to program the light.

A common issue is your smart phone getting irritated when it connects to your Kessil - it is seeking active internet but does not detect a network. It may be hopping off of the Kessil to your regular home wifi automatically. In your phone’s WiFi settings turn off “auto connect” to your home network to prevent your phone from hopping from the light when you are trying to connect to it. When you are done programming the light, turn that back on.

OP
OP
zoanthony

zoanthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In AP mode you can only connect point-to-point with the fixture. The light will save your settings and is not controlled over a cloud. It does not need internet to function and you should likewise not need to be on your home wifi to program the light.

A common issue is your smart phone getting irritated when it connects to your Kessil - it is seeking active internet but does not detect a network. It may be hopping off of the Kessil to your regular home wifi automatically. In your phone’s WiFi settings turn off “auto connect” to your home network to prevent your phone from hopping from the light when you are trying to connect to it. When you are done programming the light, turn that back on.
Thank you so much for clarifying that! I love this forum! I was concerned that the light was not gonna save my schedule, assuming that it had to be connected to WiFi in order for it to run my schedule. Thank you

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to what DanTheReefer said, AP mode is one way to do it. You can also have it run in the cloud where the light is connected to your wifi network at all times, and you just connect through the network. This feature might be preferable if you ever leave for an extended period and someone watching your tank calls you with algae issues or with coral issues (because you can remotely dim the lights without telling them how to do it). Just food for thought.

OP
OP
zoanthony

zoanthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add to what DanTheReefer said, AP mode is one way to do it. You can also have it run in the cloud where the light is connected to your wifi network at all times, and you just connect through the network. This feature might be preferable if you ever leave for an extended period and someone watching your tank calls you with algae issues or with coral issues (because you can remotely dim the lights without telling them how to do it). Just food for thought.
How do I do that?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I do that?
During the initial setup in the App, you're prompted for different connection types. You need to choose the one that says Through Wireless Router, not the one that says Connect Directly Via WiFi.

You can find the App Manual here: https://www.kessil.com/downloads/accessories/kessilwifi_UserManual/wifi_user_manual.html

It shows you all of the different options. What you're wanting to pay attention to as far as lights are concerned is the Wi-Fi_STA_Mode side.

OP
OP
zoanthony

zoanthony

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
During the initial setup in the App, you're prompted for different connection types. You need to choose the one that says Through Wireless Router, not the one that says Connect Directly Via WiFi.

You can find the App Manual here: https://www.kessil.com/downloads/accessories/kessilwifi_UserManual/wifi_user_manual.html

It shows you all of the different options. What you're wanting to pay attention to as far as lights are concerned is the Wi-Fi_STA_Mode

It shows you all of the different options. What you're wanting to pay attention to as far as lights are concerned is the Wi-Fi_STA_Mode side.

Appreciate the information, I’m gonna try that right now. Thank you

Doompastew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping in for a question here... I was having the same issues. I turned off the auto connect on my phone, factory reset the light. During the setup, I chose the router option, entered my network and password. The app instructed me to connect to a different network and gave the name of it. I searched for the network, and it never showed up. The light does follow the schedule; however, I cannot connect to it when I am away from home.
Any words of wisdom??

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jumping in for a question here... I was having the same issues. I turned off the auto connect on my phone, factory reset the light. During the setup, I chose the router option, entered my network and password. The app instructed me to connect to a different network and gave the name of it. I searched for the network, and it never showed up. The light does follow the schedule; however, I cannot connect to it when I am away from home.
Any words of wisdom??
So, it sounds like it wasn't able to directly connect to the light to upload the Username and Password information the light could connect to your network. This is a similar situation to above. Instead of connecting to the light through your WiFi network, you're directly connecting. You should try to reset the light and re-connect following the instructions I gave above.

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a AP9X and hooked it up yesterday, so far i hate the app, the my AI app was so much easier but these lights are way better then the Hydra’s i had

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back