Kessil AP700 HELP!

SeaHorse-23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! new member here, i was given an AP700 kessil led fixture (not working) and i am currently attempting to fix it, i need help locating a component, if there is anyone out there with a broken one or maybe pictures of the board? please take a look at the attached pic, U15 (integrated circuit) most likely a voltage regulator. THANK YOU.

20211029_103918.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Contact Kessil who are very helpful
They’ll answer this and perhaps even help you with parts

OP
OP
SeaHorse-23

SeaHorse-23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"We cannot disclose the circuitry information of our lighting as it is not information available to the public."

that is what they just replied to me. Ive read in many forums that they are not very friendly when it comes to helping customers repair their broken lights.

hopefully someone replies with some pictures or offers to sell their broken fixture.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had to work on an AP700 yet. But this does look like a voltage regulator type.
If this ended up at my shop for a repair in this condition, I'd start by tracing the pads and measuring voltages. If this is indeed a voltage regulator, I'd expect to find some voltage at the input and the output would likely be going somewhere to some controller circuit. From there it should be easy to find out what output voltage is expected. Then find an appropriate component to replace.
There is also always a good chance the missing component is not the only issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SeaHorse-23

SeaHorse-23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had to work on an AP700 yet. But this does look like a voltage regulator type.
If this ended up at my shop for a repair in this condition, I'd start by tracing the pads and measuring voltages. If this is indeed a voltage regulator, I'd expect to find some voltage at the input and the output would likely be going somewhere to some controller circuit. From there it should be easy to find out what output voltage is expected. Then find an appropriate component to replace.
There is also always a good chance the missing component is not the only issue.
so you have a shop? can you please send me your info, i also checked some points and "i believe"there is a short somewhere, i checked some capacitors and they are definitely in short, ( i am not an electronic engineer) just someone with some knowledge, maybe you can take a look at it, i dont think that by just replacing the IC would resolve the problem.

please send me your info.

p.s i checked the voltage going to the IC and is 48v "midle pin", and both pins on the sides are grounded.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you have a shop? can you please send me your info, i also checked some points and "i believe"there is a short somewhere, i checked some capacitors and they are definitely in short, ( i am not an electronic engineer) just someone with some knowledge, maybe you can take a look at it, i dont think that by just replacing the IC would resolve the problem.

please send me your info.

p.s i checked the voltage going to the IC and is 48v "midle pin", and both pins on the sides are grounded.
48v... ouch. This looks like a SOT223 package. Which typically would have the middle pin grounded and then Vin/out pins on each side. Assuming that this is a voltage regulator.
Given that you are detecting a short on capacitors, there is a problem somewhere else for sure. Which may explain ground on multiple pads.

Here's my info.
Mail-in Repair site: https://www.fixreef.com

Youtube channel with some repair videos:

I'll PM you some more specifics.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
48v... ouch. This looks like a SOT223 package. Which typically would have the middle pin grounded and then Vin/out pins on each side. Assuming that this is a voltage regulator.
Given that you are detecting a short on capacitors, there is a problem somewhere else for sure. Which may explain ground on multiple pads.

Here's my info.
Mail-in Repair site: https://www.fixreef.com

Youtube channel with some repair videos:

I'll PM you some more specifics.
@_AV does great work! He repaired my EB832 for me.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI, my AP700 won't turn on anymore. I think it's a power supply issue. If you pay shipping, you can have it for free.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 92 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back