Korallen-Zucht T5 Bulb "Great Barrier Turquoise"

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Great Barrier Turquoise bulbs came today!

It’s very green.

I put 1 bulb in both of my 8 bulb fixtures, so 2 bulbs total.

I tested the turquoise bulbs alone, and they are VERY green. It kind of washed out many of the corals colors, but the Montipora looked fantastic.

When mixed with the other bulbs, the green works perfectly. I can’t wait to see what changes I observe with my yellow acropora!!

It’s my all-time favorite acropora. It’s been a nightmare to color up, and I believe it’s due to lacking in the cyan and green (500nm).

You can see the green bulb mixed in.

IMG_8537.jpeg

This is with only the turquoise.
IMG_8536.jpeg

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just feel like I've hit the wall in regards to coral growth,color and fluorescence with my AI primes on my mixed reef. I increased my UV and violets, but I'm concerned about lense burnout that I've heard can happen with them. I've also increased my light blue, green and red. These increases have been slight, a few %, and are in line with the other ratios. Next week my aqualife T5 hybrid fixture and ATI true actinics should arrive. I going to just run two of the four bulb setup for that violet spectrum at 420 nm and those green and yellow peaks it hits at 550nm and 580nm. These changes and new lights will run during my afternoon hours, after my high noon "white" peak hours. The UV and the fill from the T5's will be the icing on the cake. I hope

Last edited:

Yanir34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you've been watching BRS videos on YouTube lately, you'll likely remember hearing about peridinin quite a lot.

Well, after I watched those videos I started digging on the internet looking for more information about the peridinin-chlorophyll-protein complex. Long story made waaaay too short than it should be; peridinin allows photosynthetic organisms to harvest cyan and green light to use them for energy. Granted, I didn't understand a lot of what I read, but I read enough to push me further into the camp of wondering if we could have healthier coral if we had more cyan light. LEDs in particular almost always have a dip specifically in the cyan spectrum that has always bugged me.

About my current lighting setup... I'm running two Kessil a360x, 2x ATI True Actinic T5, 2x ATI Blue Plus, and for 3 hours at peak light time I run a small Reptisun 5.0 T5 UVA+UVB fixture. (I know the UV bulb is controversial, but I don't want to focus on that in this thread). The T5s all ramp up and down controlled by my Apex. I'm very happy with my setup and how closely that I've managed to copy natural sunlight filtered by ocean water.

So I was trying to figure out what I can do with my current setup to try and add more light in the 500nm range. Every bulb and fixture that I looked at seemed to skip over it. The best that I was able to come up with was just cranking up the supplemental green channel on my Kessils. Both the main blue channel, as well as the green channel have some small amount of 500nm cyan spectrum in them. Between the two of them, it's at least adding some amount of light in that range.

So I was randomly browsing the internet this morning while thinking about this problem, and I stumbled across the existence of a T5 bulb being sold in Europe. It's manufactured by Korallen-Zucht. They're calling it "Great Barrier Turqouise". Nobody in the US is selling this thing. I can't find any forum posts talking about it anywhere. It's like it doesn't exist here. The spectrum looks PERFECT for hitting the spectral absorption peak of peridinin, and it seems like there has to be some benefit to our photosynthetic tank inhabitants by having more of it. Personally, I would LOVE to replace my Blue Plus T5s with these.

So I just wanted to start a post to
1) share how badly I want to experiment with these bulbs,
2) bring attention to the fact that they exist, and
3) start a discussion about how important (or not important) peridinin is to corals and other photosynthetic saltwater life.

Attached is a spectrum graph of these bulbs, to save you some googling.

Korallen-Zucht_T5_Great_Barrier_Turquoise_Spectrum.jpeg

What is this fixture ?
Where did you buy it ?
how many hours per day ,if operation for this style of fixture ?

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s very green.

I tested the turquoise bulbs alone, and they are VERY green. It kind of washed out many of the corals colors, but the Montipora looked fantastic.

When mixed with the other bulbs, the green works perfectly. I can’t wait to see what changes I observe with my yellow acropora!!

It’s my all-time favorite acropora. It’s been a nightmare to color up, and I believe it’s due to lacking in the cyan and green (500nm).

IMG_8537.jpeg

IMG_8536.jpeg
Hey MiamiReef - Do you have more of these bulbs or how did you get them - I am nearing annual change of my T5s and would like to incorporate these.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey MiamiReef - Do you have more of these bulbs or how did you get them - I am nearing annual change of my T5s and would like to incorporate these.
I bought them from korallen zucht from Germany, but I don’t recommend them. They are an ugly bulb and I didn’t see any positive changes to my aquarium with them.

I don’t use them anymore.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s very green.

IMG_8537.jpeg

IMG_8536.jpeg

I thought you said they worked well? 2 months probably isn’t long enough to see any changes

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you said they worked well? 2 months probably isn’t long enough to see any changes
I said it was very green and washed out a lot of the colors in that quoted post.

2 months isn’t a lot of time I agree.

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It’s very green.

IMG_8537.jpeg

IMG_8536.jpeg
Looks very natural to me.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 48 25.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 45 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back