Koran Angelfish questions/help

jrbuczkow90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a Koran Angelfish added to my tank about almost a month ago. I also have a pinktail trigger, fox face, Toby puffer, sailfin tang. I have noticed it is pretty shy and when I feed frozen with tongs it doesn't come out at all to eat but if I put pellets it would maybe scrounge one peice. But it does swim around during the day not seems stressed but I rarely see him eat. Should I be worried? I do use angelixir also on pellets. Or will she just get brave eventually. She doesn't seem to look skinny.

Thanks for any input

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got a Koran Angelfish added to my tank about almost a month ago. I also have a pinktail trigger, fox face, Toby puffer, sailfin tang. I have noticed it is pretty shy and when I feed frozen with tongs it doesn't come out at all to eat but if I put pellets it would maybe scrounge one peice. But it does swim around during the day not seems stressed but I rarely see him eat. Should I be worried? I do use angelixir also on pellets. Or will she just get brave eventually. She doesn't seem to look skinny.

Thanks for any input
Is this a juvenile or adult ? My angels were all a tad shy when smaller and first introduced. You mentioned feeding with tongs?? Not sure exactly what you’re feeding that you would need tongs unless it’s an eel or super aggressive predator fish. My point is the tongs could be spooking him. Try some clams on the half shell and see how his feeding response is to that. Also you don’t mention it but if you’re not already feeding nori you should put some on a clip daily. Aside from that once he’s acclimated he should take just about anything. Pellets took awhile for mine to warm up to but they did eventually start eating them. Good luck with him

OP
OP
jrbuczkow90

jrbuczkow90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this a juvenile or adult ? My angels were all a tad shy when smaller and first introduced. You mentioned feeding with tongs?? Not sure exactly what you’re feeding that you would need tongs unless it’s an eel or super aggressive predator fish. My point is the tongs could be spooking him. Try some clams on the half shell and see how his feeding response is to that. Also you don’t mention it but if you’re not already feeding nori you should put some on a clip daily. Aside from that once he’s acclimated he should take just about anything. Pellets took awhile for mine to warm up to but they did eventually start eating them. Good luck with him
Yes it's juvenile, I do feed nori. But i usually hold the frozen cubes of mysis or other types of food mixes with tongs and let everyone dive In because I don't want it to float into overflow. I could try clams didn't think of that.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's juvenile, I do feed nori. But i usually hold the frozen cubes of mysis or other types of food mixes with tongs and let everyone dive In because I don't want it to float into overflow. I could try clams didn't think of that.
Thaw the frozen in a cup then dump it in. In my experience feeding in the manner you’re doing only benefits the more aggressive feeders. Your established fish will push the shy fish away. Spreading the food out at once gives everyone a fair shake at it. Once he gets acclimated snd puts on size you shouldn’t have any issues.

Eddielg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also use a seaweed clip to feed nori to your fish. Shy guy will probably start ripping the nori apart as soon as you move away. I have mine hanging from center support.
Good luck

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 78.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back