Large swing in daily tank temperatures... What thrives in 77 to 90 degree water?

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Sooooo, here's why I'm asking.

I have a 15g tank on my covered porch that receives morning to mid-day sun (through the screen), and I use it as my "Chaeto factory" and other various macroalgae. (i.e., when I trim from my other tanks, the cuttings end up here)

Over the year, via dumping in water changes from my other tanks, various life has accumulated. (e.g., a TON of pods, a handful of bristle worms, flatworms, a few hermits, etc.)

I have a heater in the tank to keep it warmer at night (77), but during the day, it could reach (in summer) 90.

Is there something (fish, invertebrates, etc.) that would thrive in what must be similar to a tide-pool environment? (vast temp swings)

I want to add something that would thrive. Urchin, crab, etc. but only if they'll thrive.

Thanks for your time!

(this is before summer temps really heat up, today's high tank temp was 86.4)
1713202101023.png
20240310_111903.jpg

Attachments

• 20240310_111906.mp4
    11.5 MB

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm sure you know plenty about the importance of stability. you'll struggle to keep anything but algae and microfauna with that big of a swing.

OP
OP
Jesse Sunday

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
i'm sure you know plenty about the importance of stability. you'll struggle to keep anything but algae and microfauna with that big of a swing.

Well, I know that it's a popular theory that stability is important... but do we place too much importance on it?

I know that the majority of the ocean doesn't have large swings... but there are plenty of shallow areas that must vary greatly during the day and are full of life.

Just something to think about.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I think you’d have more of a problem with dissolved oxygen. The higher the temp, the less oxygen will be available.

OP
OP
Jesse Sunday

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I think you’d have more of a problem with dissolved oxygen. The higher the temp, the less oxygen will be available.

Ah, that's a concern I didn't even think about... would the overabundance of chaeto that's super green and growing help overcome that?

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Ah, that's a concern I didn't even think about... would the overabundance of chaeto that's super green and growing help overcome that?
No. About 4 years ago I was switching heaters on my 150g and I accidentally plugged in a heater without a controller (they were identical except one had a controller and the other didn’t), and I didn’t plug it into my apex. I also didn’t have apex notifications on.

I was at work the next day and I was just checking my apex and my temp was 90 by the time I got home leaving work early. I had a fuge. I lost a few fish, and I immediately put an airstone in, and threw as much frozen veggies in bags and 2 frozen chickens to try to get temp down as fast as i could. I don’t remember if I lost any coral.

They were basically like breathing velvet infected fast.

Terrible simple mistake.

Don’t reef when you are very tired, especially after a rough 12 hour shift.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back