Would anything thrive in a tank that ranges from 65-73 degrees throughout the year? (inverts/macroalgae/corals etc)

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am thinking of setting up yet another tank. I was planning to do a 9.1 gallon on my aquarium lab desk since it would still allow room for testing/my microscope.

I am thinking of just doing an mp10, auto top off, and light with water changes for nutrient management/element replenishment.

If I run the tank without a heater it would get as cold as 65 in the winter and 72ish in the summer. Would anything thrive at these temps? If not, I'll definitely run a heater but I was just wondering if there's maybe an invert or macro algae I could feature in there.

Thanks!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, there are definitely some critters that could handle those temps:
70F is a bit of an awkward temp to find things for (too cold for tropical species, too warm for truly coldwater species, and possibly a bit high to keep for a lot of temperate species), but here's a list I compiled awhile ago for 64-67F, most of which would probably work for 70F:
The corals listed below should be able to handle the temps you list, but they might do better with different temps, or with some variation in temp (some temperate corals do better with seasonal temp changes).

Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratories, Inc. carries (as listed on their site):
Encrusting Hard Corals:
Star Coral (Astrangia asteriaformes - the accepted name is currently Astrangia poculata) - can handle the temps listed.
Rose Bud Coral (Phyllangia americana) - can handle the temps, but is Non-photosynthetic, so more difficult to keep
Red Shell Coral (Cladocora arbuscula) - prefers higher temps than listed.

Soft Corals:
Sea Pansy (Renilla mulleri) - can handle the temps listed, bioluminescent when touched, might light up if hit by flow, I'm not sure.
Sea Whip (Leptogorgia virgulata/ Psudoleptogorgia sp.) - can handle the temps listed.
Sea Fan (Lophogorgia hebes) - can handle the temps listed.
Horny Sea Whip - they don't list a genus/species here, so no idea, but it can probably handle the temps.
Some zoas that grow symbiotically with sponges - no genus/species, and keeping the sponges may be difficult, but can probably handle the temps.
Brown Zoanthids - again, no genus/species, but can probably handle the temps. A lot of less colorful zoas tend to be pretty invasive, so you might want to be cautious with this one.

From Matsu Collections (as mentioned above), there are two you can get that don't require a permit (according to their list that I downloaded late last year - I don't know how often they update it):
Red Gorgonian (Lophogorgia chilensis) - can handle the temps listed.
Sea Pansy (Renilla koellikeri) - can handle the temps listed, bioluminescent when touched, might light up if hit by flow, I'm not sure.
Sadly, Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratories no longer sells to the public, but Matsu Collections and other places still do:

Anyway, in addition to the corals above, here are some critters that could work:
-Catalina/Blue-banded Goby, Lythrypnus dalli
-
Zebra Goby, Lythrypnus zebra
-Hairy Hermit, Pagurus hirsutiusculus
-Blueband Hermit, Pagurus samuelis
Regardless, though, there are some cool little shrimp, crabs, hermits, snails, chitons, limpets, and anemones that could all work (as well as some cool corals), and I know one company that sells coldwater micro brittle stars too. If you're up for dosing, you could also do inverts like clams, oysters, mussels, etc. and barnacles.

Some examples you can look:
- Dwarf Teardrop Crab (Pelia tumida); decorates itself with sponges, so it generally looks bigger than it really is.
- Flatback Mud Crab (Eurypanopeus depressus); typically found with oysters and hyroids.
- Broken-back Shrimp (Heptacarpus palpator); omnivorous scavenger.
- Grass Shrimp (Hippolyte clarki); feeds on algae and pods.
- Rough Limpet (Collisella scabra); generalist herbivore.
- Volcano Limpet (Fissurella volcano); feeds mainly on diatoms, cyanoprokaryota, and Pyropia spp. (nori).
- Common Periwinkle (Littorina littorea); feeds on algae (it likes Ulva spp.).
I haven't looked in depth at temperate algae species yet, but there are a number of them that would work.

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, there are definitely some critters that could handle those temps:

Sadly, Gulf Specimen Marine Laboratories no longer sells to the public, but Matsu Collections and other places still do:

Anyway, in addition to the corals above, here are some critters that could work:
-Catalina/Blue-banded Goby, Lythrypnus dalli
-
Zebra Goby, Lythrypnus zebra
-Hairy Hermit, Pagurus hirsutiusculus
-Blueband Hermit, Pagurus samuelis

I haven't looked in depth at temperate algae species yet, but there are a number of them that would work.
ohh I didn't think fish would be a possibility...a Catalina goby would be amazing

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ohh I didn't think fish would be a possibility...a Catalina goby would be amazing
Yup, there are a lot of small temperate fishes here in CA that could handle a tiny tank on a desk with that temperature range, but if the tank si shifting between those temps on a weekly basis you will need a heater and a warm water fish to have success. Stability, with some variability in an acceptable range is the key.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 33.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%

Back