Learning From Tank Crashes

Brisk

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever experienced a significant tank crash, and what did you learn from the experience?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Narrowly avoided due to having an irkbird on 2 occasions now. Heater controller is the most important piece of equipment there is imo.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have. My 90G mixed reef went bad and crashed hard 12 years ago. I ran every test I had (and there were a looooot of tests done) and couldn't narrow down the issue. My equipment was working fine. I had done my water changes. My husbandry was good. I was, well, not happy with me. Because it HAD TO BE human error somewhere in there. Never did pin down the issue. I just gave up after that.

What did I learn? Not to give up. It's interesting too, because I'm not the giving up type. But that time I was. So 12 years later, I'm here, reading posts, watching videos on YouTube and reading articles on a daily basis. My 120G mixed reef is slated to launch this winter. I want to be armed with as much knowledge as possible before I do this again. I still feel guilty that all the livestock under my protection died out. This time around I'll know MUCH more going in than I did the last time.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how to prevent and undo crashes related to old tank syndrome

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I learned that maintaining biodiversity prevents old tank syndrom fromy my first and only full-scale crash, resulting of a buildup of unprocessed waste over a period of years. Since switching to 0.1-0.5mm sand and using high quality live rock, I haven't had anymore problems.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back