Leopard wrass successes????

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well in the past ive tried three different times to have a leopard wrasse (potters, divided etc) and each time they have died. two of them died within a few days or so and the other withina few months. i know they arent the best reef fish because they dont seem to fair well.
i am wondering if anyone actually has one in their tank if so would love to see some pics...
also if you do have one that youve had for a while..... how did you acclimate them or did you do anything special when you got them... ????
i would love to have one again and to give it a shot again.....

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a potters wrasse now for 8+ months. He didn't eat anything but mysis shrimp for the first 6 months or so. He is now on pellets though. Make sure when you get one you have them feed it in the store. Make sure its eating well. I have a barebottom tank so I placed a container of sand in the tank for the wrasse. Sorry, I don't have any pictures though.

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if linking to other forums on here is okay or not, so edit, delete, whatever, if it's not alright. RC has a thread called the "Leopard Primer" or something similar in their Reef Fishes forum and it's loaded with people who have both been successful and failed and tons of good information on how to keep the fish. I'd suggest checking that out.

The Nomad

Poorhouse Denizen
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if linking to other forums on here is okay or not, so edit, delete, whatever, if it's not alright. RC has a thread called the "Leopard Primer" or something similar in their Reef Fishes forum and it's loaded with people who have both been successful and failed and tons of good information on how to keep the fish. I'd suggest checking that out.
Yep, that's a must read thread for leopards! I've had mine for 8 months or so and had 1 failure before that. IMO, smaller fish do better, frozen bloodworms, cyclopeeze, mysis, and spirulina enriched brine are the foods that do best and temp aclimate and straight into the tank:bigsmile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ahayes13

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for that link..... i read the whole thread :) maybe once my new tank is up i might try it again

revaltion131

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really looking forward to trying M.b. bipartitus in my 65 during the summer. The pod population should be up high enough by then. Good luck if/when you go for it. :)

deuceb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ornate lleopard wrasse

about 4 months and still looking fat. 4in sand bed ,and i feed a mixture of frozen my local lfs makes up and sells . tank up and running 14 months but transfer cotents from my old tank tht was up for a year so about 2 years +- 90 gallon aga

d34532

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my common leopard (green leopard for 18+ months now) I think the main key with them is reducing stress and way of introduction. I currently have 3 in my 60 frag tank (2 are new). The one I had for 18months believe it or not lived in a reg 10gal for about 6 months. it hiding for the first 3 or 4 days and was the only fish in the tank then took to eatting mysis of the 5 or 6th day. Only reason it was in the 10 gal for so long was because I was scaried of killing it in the move but since then it been thru 4 moves.

As for the 2 new leopard i added 4 other small fish at the time I added these 2 so that my sailfin had a lot of new "faces". I failed 1 other time to add but I believe the owner of the store crushed it to get it out of the sand and into the net using a prong grabber right in the area it was hiding. Both leopard started eatting frozen mysis right away less then 24hours in the tank 1st feeding while they were awake.

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had one for about 3 years now. When I got her she was 1" long and didn't really eat anything. Now she's 4-5" and eats anything that hits the water. My only complaint is that she's very aggressive with newcomers. This leopard was my first wrasse and I guess I got lucky.

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a meleagris that I've had for almost two years. It eats like a pig. I'm trying my hand at a few different ones, now;). I've found the smaller ones to be easier than the larger ones.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 43.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 61 46.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back