Let’s Mix it Up! Designing and Using a Water Mixing Station

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently working on my now! Here will be some of the material I will be using.

2 40 gallon Vertical Storage tanks.
120'' red pipe Sch 40
6 - 3/4 Cepex Union Ball Valves
2 - 3/4'' Spears Gate Valves
10 - 90's
10- 45'
BRS RODI 4 Stage system
pinpoint Salinity Monitor
Cinder blocks with 1'' pcs of plywood for my stand.
2 Cam thread Lever Quick Connect Couplings.
Pan world pump 40PX - 480gph

What pump will you be using?

I have to buy my fittings and a pump this weekend. Still trying to decide which one to get. Looking at the Iwaki or Pan World at this point.

Ooops.... nevermind.... saw you noted the Pan World 40px!

air2mag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zach, what parts did you use for your "level gauge"? I have a similar set-up and still need to add these. I see the uniseals, but what fitting did you add to them? I am assuming they are 1/2"?

BigAsh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size Cepex fittings did you use?

Also for others...

What pump recommendations? I see some pan world's and iwaki's in some of the photos. Looking for specfic models,
I used a Vectra M1 which has a 1" inlet and 3/4" outlet. So I used 1" Cepex ball valves on the inlet side and 3/4" Cepex ball valves on the outlet side. Be careful with some of the cheaper DC pumps out there with British fittings that aren't tapered. I have read that they can leak and that steered me to the Vectra which has a nice union connection on both inlet and outlet.

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 1... I was able to actually get this indoors in the laundry room. Stacked the washer/dryer and was able to keep the utility sink over in the corner.

Now the plumbing!

mix1.jpeg

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 1... I was able to actually get this indoors in the laundry room. Stacked the washer/dryer and was able to keep the utility sink over in the corner.

Now the plumbing!

mix1.jpeg

Looking good @jazzmik. Can you share info on the shelving unit? What is the weight rating on the shelf? It's a question I see a lot and it might help identify some options for folks.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I'd probably put a board down to help distribute the weight.

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good @jazzmik. Can you share info on the shelving unit? What is the weight rating on the shelf? It's a question I see a lot and it might help identify some options for folks.

Yep, here you go...

Rated at 5000lbs total, each shelf (5) at 1000lbs... I'm not using one shelf at all and have the top 2 spaced close together just for support.

Picked it up today at HD.

Husky 48 in. W x 24 in. D x 78 in. H Steel 5 Shelf
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-48-in-W-x-24-in-D-x-78-in-H-Steel-5-Shelf-MR482478W5/203828250

Last edited:

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good! I'd probably put a board down to help distribute the weight.

Yeah, making 2nd trip back to HD to get something. Either some plywood or a couple of white shelving units.

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have the Iwaki pump?

They put the outlet at a slight angle. I had planned on using pvc but may have to get some flex pvc. Or is it ok to shim one side?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got done doing a sketch of my Saltwater mixing station! Now it's time to start ordering the materiL from Bulk Reef supply. There still needs to have to some minor tweaks done but that's about it.
Here is my list of material, to complete my project:
2 44 gallon Brute Cans
10 Cinder Blocks
1'' pcs of plywood for stand
1 Pan World PX-40
1 RODI 4 stage system
1 webcam
1 Float Valve
1 Heater
4 Cepex Ball Valves - 1''
1 Spears Gate Valve - 1''
3 Uniseals - 1''
4 Uniseals - 1/2''
3 TEES slip x slip - 1''
3 90's - 1''
2 58'' length RED PIPE Sch 40
3 1'' 90° Elbow Barb x Spigot (Street)
4 1/2" 90° Elbow Barb x Spigot (Street)
8ft Braided tubing 1/2''
25 ft Braided tubing 1''
Inbird heating Digital Temperature Controller Control Thermostat + Sensor
Model #ITC-306T

Screen Shot 2017-01-25 at 7.15.38 PM.png

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the mixing station I originally put together. Two 55 gallon drums with a pump between them. The tank on the left is RODI, filled with a float valve. The tank on the right is the salt water storage. By turnign the valves, I can recirculate the salt water which helps mix it...

This is in my laundry room about 20 feet away from my tank, so I use a 25 foot vinyl hose I made with a plastic hose bib on one end...

20140316_1403403-1.jpg

Since this picture, I re-did the PVC pipe, exiting it out the side facing the pump, enabling me to remove most of the elbows, and dramatically shortening the PVC pipe, which increased the flow out of the pump significantly...

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question...

I have 2 40 gallon containers (see above post #84). Do I/Should I have powerheads running full-time in the RO side? Saltwater side?

I have the iwaki pump between the two for mixing and pumping to DT/sump. This is more about keeping any circulation going and whether needed or not.

I bought a couple Hydor Koralia Evolution powerheads for each container. The 1050-1150 wayyyyy overboard. Didn't realize how big those things were.

OP
OP
dbl

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question...

I have 2 40 gallon containers (see above post #84). Do I/Should I have powerheads running full-time in the RO side? Saltwater side?

I have the iwaki pump between the two for mixing and pumping to DT/sump. This is more about keeping any circulation going and whether needed or not.

I bought a couple Hydor Koralia Evolution powerheads for each container. The 1050-1150 wayyyyy overboard. Didn't realize how big those things were.

My answer is you don't need one at all in the fresh RODI container. Actually better not to have one there...just keep it sealed as tightly as possible.

I do have one in my salt container but it does not run all the time. Just when mixing salt and just before I'm going to use the saltwater. In fact, I used to run mine a few times a day on a timer, but don't do that anymore either.

My $.02 on the subject anyway.

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My answer is you don't need one at all in the fresh RODI container. Actually better not to have one there...just keep it sealed as tightly as possible.

I do have one in my salt container but it does not run all the time. Just when mixing salt and just before I'm going to use the saltwater. In fact, I used to run mine a few times a day on a timer, but don't do that anymore either.

My $.02 on the subject anyway.

Works for me! :D

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, almost everything has come in and has been assembled except for my two 1'' Spears Gate Vales which will be on each side between the 1'' pipe and the spigot x street 90's. That's where my gate valves will be installed so at any giving point I will be able to grab some fresh RODI water or saltwater from each Brute container. Also, instead of having the Cepex ball Valve where I am going to be connecting my Marine & RV 1/2'' 25ft hose, I will be using a 1/2'' Spears Gate valve with the Cam Lever Quick to Connect my 1/2'' in size hose. Order 1 more spigot to street 45 to put inside my Brute salt container to there is one on each side. Next, I have to Glue everything together. I am going to be using a product called WELD -ON! 1ST I will use there Weld On - Plumbing Primer - then finish up with the Weld -On Heavy Duty PVC Cement Gray to match up with my fittings. Then my last step will be building my stand. I bought 6 cinder blocks and 5 two by 4's for my frame. After I get the frame completed I will just be screwing down a pcs of 1'' thick pcs of plywood and then this operation Saltwater mixing station will be completed. Here a few pixs to show you how it turned out before I start gluing everything together. My total cost ending up being around $1250.00 for my Mixing station! Please feel free to let me know your thoughts?
Many thanks,
FLSharkvictim

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 6.38.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 6.37.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 6.37.36 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 6.37.02 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 8.54.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 6.00.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 6.02.07 PM.png

jazzmik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good @FLSharkvictim

Can you post a pick of the cam quick connects and link to which ones.

I ended up leaving hose attached but would rather be able to detach easily.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an idea that I will be grabbing and use the same kind of install on my Cam Connects but instead using a Rubber hose like this gentlemen did, I will be using a food Grade Marine and RV hose, that's totally REEF SAFE.
Good knows that what chemicals they spray in these rubber hoses. Actually, I have heard of stories where reefers have used regular water hoses and it's killed all of their fish due to what they use to make the hose's out of.
Click on the link jazzmik and go to minute 3.54 where he talks about the cam locks. Hope this helps mate. Wish you all the best and O yea, care to share a pix of your saltwater mixing station?

Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 7.27.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 7.29.32 AM.png

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
YES, you need to mix your saltwater if you want to store it in the container. Check it out, This how I have mine set up. Instead of adding more pumps, I just use my main PANWORLD pump on a timer and it kicks the pump 3 times a day for 30 minutes at a time, so the saltwater does not start settling to the bottom. The timer and the Surge protector that I went with the American DJ PC4 4 Channel AC Power Center and a P3 Save A Watt HD Timer. Obviously, when you're running your main pump and circulating your saltwater make sure your Freshwater Valve is closed and your Valve where you pump out your fresh mixed salt water to your tank. What that will do is run it like it's on a closed loop type system and then it will just keep on circulating and circulating, etc etc. Ones my two spears 3/4'' gate valves come in this project will be completed. Hope this helps...

Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 10.38.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-11 at 10.38.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 6.38.10 PM.png

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @FLSharkvictim here's a pic of mine. I am using the RV hose
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looks excellent and build solid, good job! What's the black box that's suction to the right container - salinity monitor? Also, what fitting is the orange that connected to your Cepex Ball Valve?
I'm struggling to figure out what's the best route to connect to the Marnie house with? Either was going to with a CAM quick connector or something like that.
It looks like you connected a Reducer then some sort of orange fitting to your hose correct?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back