Let it snow!!! Have you ever used reef snow (or other food in a bottle)?

Have you ever used reef snow (or other food in a bottle)?

• I currently use reef snow (or comparable).

Votes: 75 28.4%
  • I have used reef snow (or comparable) in the past.

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • I have not used reef snow (or comparable), but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 19.7%
  • I have no plans to use reef snow (or comparable).

Votes: 74 28.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%

• Total voters

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use the food additive version years ago, but I haven't touched the stuff in so long. I think about it often though. Catchy name.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what is sunnys reciepe? I feed my fish something that my LFS carries called coral delight. Its very much like reefroids abut 1/4 0f the cost. I think Hikari makes it. I do want to start mixing it up though and funny thing Is i was reading some of brightwells products and thought of using it! It seems many companys have their own version! I Like to target feed though so I am assuming reef snow or dyi isnt meant to target feed! I do also feed my coral restor sometimes after I found out how good it works for zoas that wont open!

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been running DIY coral snow “calcium carbonate” for the last 4 years on my 120 mixed reef, with great success. Very affirdable way to manage nutrients and make the most of bacteria and amino additives. I used to mix MB7 and Acro power, basically around a tbsp of each, let soak for 5 minutes, blow off the rocks, then dose. I have recently substituted the MB7 for Captiv8 Remediate powder form bacterial supplement, with improved results. Lower nitrate and deeper coral pigmentation. Also noticed a reduction in cyano on the gravel. Calcium Carbonate has helped to manage vermatid snails, along with super glue and BB snails. I’d say the biggest benefit to weekly doses is the fact I am taking time to closely inspect my system.

Last edited:

jstabile316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just picked up this brand of calcium carbonate. How much should I dose to my 25 gallon lagoon? I’m dealing with some Cyano now and would like to start using it with some mb7 just not sure how much to dose. Has anyone else ever used this brand?

Attachments

• EC6F669C-680A-465F-BBA5-BCB4C086A124.png
    EC6F669C-680A-465F-BBA5-BCB4C086A124.png
    389.8 KB · Views: 32

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I just picked up this brand of calcium carbonate. How much should I dose to my 25 gallon lagoon? I’m dealing with some Cyano now and would like to start using it with some mb7 just not sure how much to dose. Has anyone else ever used this brand?
I have tried several brands of CC in my system. All seem to be the same powdered calcium carbonate. There is no exact recommended dose, far as I know. I personally mix in a TBSP to a cup of tank water, bacteria included and let sit for 5 minutes while I blow off the rock work. My tank is a heavily stock 120 gallon mixed reef. For a 25, I'd start with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon, see how everything reacts and go from there.

A note about cyano. The CC does not effect it directly. However, weekly blowing off of rock work and manual removal, in conjunction with the bacteria you are adding to the CC, is what will eventually get it under control.

jstabile316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried several brands of CC in my system. All seem to be the same powdered calcium carbonate. There is no exact recommended dose, far as I know. I personally mix in a TBSP to a cup of tank water, bacteria included and let sit for 5 minutes while I blow off the rock work. My tank is a heavily stock 120 gallon mixed reef. For a 25, I'd start with 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon, see how everything reacts and go from there.

A note about cyano. The CC does not affect it directly. However, weekly blowing off of rock work and manual removal, in conjunction with the bacteria you are adding to the CC, is what will eventually get it under control.
I’ll be doing a wc today so after blowing off rocks and siphon out as much detritus as I can I’ll add new water and dose the cc with mb7. Do I turn off all pumps when dosing and for how long? How often should I dose cc/mb7 And how much mb7 should I add? Sorry for all the questions lol

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll be doing a wc today so after blowing off rocks and siphon out as much detritus as I can I’ll add new water and dose the cc with mb7. Do I turn off all pumps when dosing and for how long? How often should I dose cc/mb7 And how much mb7 should I add? Sorry for all the questions lol
You don't need to turn off the pumps. It is better to have them on so the CC can distribute throughout the system. You sort of want it to look like you are driving through a snow storm, in your tank. I run socks, so sometimes I'll simply leave them in to filter out the CC, other times I'll take them out so it flows through the sump. Either way, within a few hours, your water should be crystal clear. The bacterial dosage amount is the same as it would be, if you were doing a direct dose according to product instructions.

jstabile316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to turn off the pumps. It is better to have them on so the CC can distribute throughout the system. You sort of want it to look like you are driving through a snow storm, in your tank. I run socks, so sometimes I'll simply leave them in to filter out the CC, other times I'll take them out so it flows through the sump. Either way, within a few hours, your water should be crystal clear. The bacterial dosage amount is the same as it would be, if you were doing a direct dose according to product instructions.
Thanks for the help I’m going to try it out today.

jstabile316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s see how it goes.

Attachments

• 12E32273-678D-42B7-B97E-6DD53FD451D7.jpeg
    12E32273-678D-42B7-B97E-6DD53FD451D7.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 25

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 86 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.3%
Back