Let's build a trap door leading to a secret fish room under my porch!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thanks I’ve heard of soss but never used them. I need to see if they have some rated for outdoor use.

The only problem is there’s 1” thick tongue-and-groove pine floor in the mix. It’s not just two pieces of thick material like a normal door and jamb. It may still work if I get creative. Or maybe there is a model for a super thick door that could work.
These are perfect for that!
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These are perfect for that!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Wow, and for a 1" door, that does seem perfect. The chart in the catalog seems to indicate the door might be too heavy since it's 48" wide. Maybe with the struts I could get away with using four of them?

The green line is the one I added (the red is their example, ignore):

Screenshot_454.png

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, and for a 1" door, that does seem perfect. The chart in the catalog seems to indicate the door might be too heavy since it's 48" wide. Maybe with the struts I could get away with using four of them?

Screenshot_454.png

Also, I'm sure this chart is based on ratings for vertically-hung doors, not a trap door in the floor. The forces would be completely different and the chart is probably useless for this.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Screenshot_454.png
I’m sure 2 would be fine because it’s not hanging on them.. it’s more of an axis point if you catch my drift.. 4 wouldn’t hurt thou. I’ve hung some heavy metal doors with them myself.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m sure 2 would be fine because it’s not hanging on them.. it’s more of an axis point if you catch my drift.. 4 wouldn’t hurt thou. I’ve hung some heavy metal doors with them myself.

Ok thanks, I ordered 3 of them. Had a Lowes gift card so they were free, but have to wait a week to get them.

Thanks everyone for your input on this!

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Day 28.

Getting the freshwater holding tank ready to install. Need to put in an access port (because it’s a sealed tank), add the float valve for RODI, and a uniseal for the drain line that runs to the salt tank.

Cutting the hole for the access port.

IMG_4280.jpeg

I cut this with a jigsaw. Fits like a glove.

IMG_4281.jpeg

IMG_4282.jpeg

I used nylon screws and nuts to secure it.

IMG_4283.jpeg

Next, drill a hole for the float valve.

IMG_4284.jpeg

Then install the float valve on the wrong side of the tank. Oops.

IMG_4285.jpeg

Next, I hauled the stand down below.

IMG_4286.jpeg

In goes the tank!

IMG_4287.jpeg

Oh no, it doesn’t fit!!! It’s too tall!!!

IMG_4288.jpeg

Just kidding, the tank sits up in the pocket behind the joist.

IMG_4289.jpeg
IMG_4290.jpeg

Ran plumbing from the float valve back towards my laundry room where the RODI will live.

IMG_4293.jpeg

Unfortunately I couldn’t get water hooked up today because I don’t have the right size uniseal on hand. It will come Friday. While I wait on that, I will work on electrical tomorrow instead.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Day 29.

Finished plumbing the RODI system and hooked everything up in the laundry room.

The product water goes through the floor (blue tube) into 3/4” PVC that runs all the way to the freshwater storage tank float valve. Why 3/4”? I had a ton leftover from another project. I wanted the majority of this to be hard pipe because I hate 1/4” tubing — eventually it can get brittle and break.

Also found my hot water heater pressure valve has a slow leak. Another thing to fix. :face-with-spiral-eyes:

IMG_4301.jpeg

I put the filter on the top shelf. The wife will love it!! The drain goes right to the laundry drain.

IMG_4303.jpeg

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Day 31.

Water and power.

Finished up the electrical.

IMG_4331.jpeg
IMG_4334.jpeg

I made sure to caulk anywhere that spiders could live.

IMG_4337.jpeg

Then inside the house everything terminates In this junction box behind my cabinet. There’s two dedicated circuits here for the tank. I’ll also add pass-thru plugs here for The pumps to plug into the Hydros XP8.

IMG_4339.jpeg

Lights are on!

IMG_4340.jpeg

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Then got to work on water.

Put in the uniseal and plumbed the tank to the wall. Then hooked up the plumbing up top connecting the float valve to the RODI pipe.

IMG_4336.jpeg

IMG_4341.jpeg
IMG_4343.jpeg
IMG_4344.jpeg

Hard to see but there is water filling up the tank in the last picture. Watching for leaks today,

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Day 32.

A leak started in the uniseal on the freshwater tank. :rolleyes: Maybe 1 drop a second but its still something I have to fix. I’m going to drain the tank into the salt tanks and try a new uniseal first. If that doesn’t work I’ll try a bulkhead.

But anyways, I got to work on the saltwater tanks today.

I decided to make a simple frame to lash the tanks to the wall and prevent them from bulging out at the sides too much. The tanks are only 1/8” thick.

Pocket holes for the frame parts.

IMG_4365.jpeg
IMG_4366.jpeg

Then I built the frame on the floor and screwed it to the back wall.
IMG_4369.jpeg

Then I set the tanks in place. I had to move a light fixture up 1/4”. Oops.
IMG_4370.jpeg

IMG_4371.jpeg

I cut holes and installed the access hatches in each tank. I think I’ll have to remove these and enlarge the holes a little. They are a bit too tight and the lids are hard to screw on.
IMG_4373.jpeg

Now for some creative plumbing…

IMG_4367.jpeg
IMG_4374.jpeg

Installed uniseals for the RODI inputs. The valve in the front will be to fill up buckets and containers with RODI.

IMG_4377.jpeg

Water flowing! Very glad to see it since this is gravity-fed. Now I’ll wait and watch for leaks.

IMG_4380.jpeg

Ready to go! The 1/4” line will go to my ATO Stenner pump.

IMG_4381.jpeg

I am exhausted but this is really the home stretch now.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had good luck with uniseals, they always seem to leak. Even if it's not right away, they all eventually end up leaking.

Schedule 80 bulkheads have a thick enough gasket to "smoosh" into not flat surfaces.

OP
OP
kenchilada

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How the Dispars Ken?!
Man... you do not want to hear this. They acclimated well, were doing great, schooling and eating fine, and on the third day I started noticing large red blotches, internally, affecting more than half of their body. I thought it was uronema but it never developed into open sores, so I figure it was bacterial. I was not able to catch any of them for treatment. Lost one of them quickly and then five more over the following two weeks. I have one left that looks perfectly healthy and shows no signs of infection. None of my other fish (including the existing anthias) were affected. My guess is they were susceptible to this bacteria that was in my tank and were stressed from shipping. I'm still feeling the guilt pretty heavily. This hobby is brutal sometimes! I need to re-think how I add pre-quarantined fish to my tank to prevent something like this.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back