Lets see pics of the rarest coral you have ever had living in your tank.

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
How about my Cycloseris that looks like Lincoln!

lincoln_cycloseris.jpg

Tajjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems like a fun thread let's get it going again! I'll contribute my new wells tomorrow.

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have 5 aquariums, so these are what I consider to be my rarest corals out of the tons of corals I have. :bigsmile:

Incredible Hulk leather I have never gotten another leather with a bright green body AND green tentacles. It grows fast and is soft like an anemone.

incrediblehulkleather-2.jpg

Gold Stripe clove polyps

P6010019.jpg

Purple polyp cap I'm sure I'm not the only one with this coral, but I haven't seen anyone else with it.

Purplepolypcap.jpg

Radioactive mystery monti This was supposed to be green cap, but it grows super slow and has thin nodules.

P8260181.jpg

Sunshine monti Rare color and growth formation.

P8260174.jpg

Blue/green anthelia my rarest anthelia/clove

P8270333.jpg

Green with yellow tip torch I just traded for this and I've never seen one before, really sweet.

P8270348.jpg

Last my RIP rare coral. Some type of rare confusa, it was amazing, but it just continued to recede in my tank and I could not save it. :sad:

toxicrainbowconfusa-1.jpg

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those really are some unique and amazing pieces!!

Well I have 5 aquariums, so these are what I consider to be my rarest corals out of the tons of corals I have. :bigsmile:

Incredible Hulk leather I have never gotten another leather with a bright green body AND green tentacles. It grows fast and is soft like an anemone.

Gold Stripe clove polyps

P6010019.jpg

Purple polyp cap I'm sure I'm not the only one with this coral, but I haven't seen anyone else with it.

Purplepolypcap.jpg

Radioactive mystery monti This was supposed to be green cap, but it grows super slow and has thin nodules.

P8260181.jpg

Sunshine monti Rare color and growth formation.

P8260174.jpg

Blue/green anthelia my rarest anthelia/clove

P8270333.jpg

Green with yellow tip torch I just traded for this and I've never seen one before, really sweet.

P8270348.jpg

Last my RIP rare coral. Some type of rare confusa, it was amazing, but it just continued to recede in my tank and I could not save it. :sad:

toxicrainbowconfusa-1.jpg

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unknown CARIBEAN LPS hitch-hiker, came in on shipped florida live rock as a brown slime patch, this is about 6 years growth;
coral068.jpg

That was one of my first corals. I LOVED that thing. Actually pretty cool to watch it grow.

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they call those a rose brain or something. It is most likely from here, because if you go to Vizcaya which is a mansion that was built in 1916 here, they used hundreds of those type of brains in the walls and masonry. I know they were collected locally like the limestone rock.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what species it is, I have had people say oulophyllia crispa, but that is not a caribean coral, and I am 100% sure this came out of florida.

I'd have to check Vernons COTW to find the exact species, or try and figure it out. Its a brain coral in general though. I'm going to have to go and see if I have a picture in my photobucket now. I really dug it and how it grew. Not to mention it was my first real coral, besides for aptasia that I actually cut and made a frag of - lmaooooo

Alpha Aquaculture

Designer Clownfish Hatchery
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one of mine red plate but crappy pic
bd3d5e30.jpg

Very rare for sure!

004-1.jpg

001-2.jpg

rainbowfungia.jpg

Well its not Rare in terms of type, but it's a rare color morph for sure. I've only seen one other pic of one that resembles it, but IMO it still doesnt look as good as mine ;)

Most bright fungia might be an understatement!
Makes other rainbows fungias look boring, lol

010-3.jpg

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have a pic because it didn't do well for me, but I used to have an Acrozoanthus sp. I also used to have Isaurus sp.

Ian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What a neat looking leather!

Here is my Indonesian Acanthaphyllia Desheysiana... Much more rare than it's Aussie counterpart.
IMG_2583.jpg

Acanthaphyllia are actually very common...

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm pretty crazy about it myself. Its about 10" across. The only other person I've seen with a similar one is Captive Reefs, he calls his a Japanese leather, but he says his grows slow and mine grows fast. Of course quite a few people local to me have frags of mine now, so one day it won't be that rare. ;]

OCREEFMASTER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acanthaphillia are common, the Desheysiana from Indonesia are not as much. The Austrailian counterparts are the common ones.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 58 26.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back