Light control for hair algae control

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

trudi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have been battling hair algae for a while (6 months +). I have attempted sea hairs- they don’t eat it. Crabs, urchins x2, lawn mower blenny (didn’t eat it), foxface(nope), Sailfin tang , peroxide on the rock (stressed corals and they are dying), changed all Ro/FI filters, lowered my lights from 12 hrs to 10hrs, less feeding, rinsing frozen food, shut lights off for 3 days, GMO, added peroxide to the tank water, have CUC’s, picked it off, ummm I think that’s all so far. My nutrients say 0 on ammonia, nitrites and phosphate and 5 on nitrates. I have a clam so I’m wanting to be careful with not making too much of an adjustment on lighting. All blue lights are at 60%, white at 20% and no red or green. I have the photon lights on a 120 gallon tank. Any other suggestions?

Orko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try Red Sea Algae Management No3:pO4-X it comes with a measuring cup ONLY dose the small side once a week in the sump it takes a bit but it will all disappear. I have a 120 as well I use it now a maintenance once a month I dose the tank.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have been battling hair algae for a while (6 months +). I have attempted sea hairs- they don’t eat it. Crabs, urchins x2, lawn mower blenny (didn’t eat it), foxface(nope), Sailfin tang , peroxide on the rock (stressed corals and they are dying), changed all Ro/FI filters, lowered my lights from 12 hrs to 10hrs, less feeding, rinsing frozen food, shut lights off for 3 days, GMO, added peroxide to the tank water, have CUC’s, picked it off, ummm I think that’s all so far. My nutrients say 0 on ammonia, nitrites and phosphate and 5 on nitrates. I have a clam so I’m wanting to be careful with not making too much of an adjustment on lighting. All blue lights are at 60%, white at 20% and no red or green. I have the photon lights on a 120 gallon tank. Any other suggestions?
60% blue and 20% whites is about the max for most tanks- you can back that down a bit to say 40/15. However to tackle the root of the algae, you will need to increase your nutrient export. It's common for nitrates/ites to read 0 when you have algae- that's because the algae is absorbing those organic nutrients from the water column. Increased skimming, larger water changes, and growing chaeto in a refugium can all help export those nutrients before nuisance algae has a chance to soak them up. Algae uses the same light corals do- and then some. The key to eliminating algae is to eliminate the nutrients that they use to thrive.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would say there is no need to play with the lights to eradicate algae.

Control the nutrients, skim aggressively, change the filter sock daily, feed less food but more often. Rotting food is the main fuel source for algae, so don't let it rot in the tank. More frequent water changes and scrub the rocks with a toothbrush every water change.

It takes elbow grease and persistence to get rid of algae, easy fixes like turning down the lights or feeding less will never ever work.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back