Lighting as Heat Source?

davidflagg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that possible in a 3-5 gallon? Halides produce a lot of heat and apparently even LED's do too. Considering the small volume of water, could lights alone maintain at least 75F in the tank?

OP
OP
D

davidflagg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your budget? Also remember to consider night when the lights won’t be on.
Figured I'd use LED's with a dim night cycle so they run 24/7, or maybe on a weaker setting that never turns off.

Up to $60-$70. Anything more would be a little over the top for just 4 gallons.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that price range I would suggest something like the light below. I have personally used it on a sump and it works well despite the lack of programming functionality. Any reason you do not want to either run a small sump or drill the tank for a micro canister filter?

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 360 acrylic is lit by 16 48” T5 bulbs. In the summer the heater never turn on. The temp goes from 77.5 to 80F each day during the photo period

OP
OP
D

davidflagg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In that price range I would suggest something like the light below. I have personally used it on a sump and it works well despite the lack of programming functionality. Any reason you do not want to either run a small sump or drill the tank for a micro canister filter?

Nice. Seems like a decent choice if it can warm things up. Looking for info on heat output...

It's my first tank so I'm trying to shoot for low maintenance = less equipment = less costs. All of this will be going into a 4 gallon acrylic jar. No fish, no fancy stuff, just some simple corals like zoas and live rock for filtration. Heating such a small container without stuffing a heater into it seems reasonable enough.

If the light source were just positioned close enough to the water, the surface would heat up, the pump would circulate the heat. New to reefing so let me know how my logic sounds.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. Seems like a decent choice if it can warm things up. Looking for info on heat output...

It's my first tank so I'm trying to shoot for low maintenance = less equipment = less costs. All of this will be going into a 4 gallon acrylic jar. No fish, no fancy stuff, just some simple corals like zoas and live rock for filtration. Heating such a small container without stuffing a heater into it seems reasonable enough.

If the light source were just positioned close enough to the water, the surface would heat up, the pump would circulate the heat. New to reefing so let me know how my logic sounds.

Again depends on ambient. If you’re ambient is over 70 you probably do not even need to worry about it.

OP
OP
D

davidflagg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again depends on ambient. If you’re ambient is over 70 you probably do not even need to worry about it.
If you're talking ambient room temp then it never goes below 73. So I'm covered (with the light)?

Pardon the newbie paranoia. Figured out that zoas need water at above room temperature and start to melt if they don't get it.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking ambient room temp then it never goes below 73. So I'm covered (with the light)?

Pardon the newbie paranoia. Figured out that zoas need water at above room temperature and start to melt if they don't get it.

Zoas will do fine at 73 even 70. Even with evaporative cooling the heat from pump should keep you around 74-75 24/7.

OP
OP
D

davidflagg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas will do fine at 73 even 70. Even with evaporative cooling the heat from pump should keep you around 74-75 24/7.
That so? And the pump will keep temperatures up?

Thanks. Now that's encouraging to hear.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 86 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back